Resident's Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LC17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is having a resident's night where residents are going to come in and talk to small groups about their specialty and answer questions. Here's the list of specialties they will be talking about but we can only choose 4.

Anesthesia
Emergency Medicine
Family Medicine
Internal Medicine
Medicine – Nephrology
Neurology
Obstetrics/gynecology
Orthopedics
Pathology
Pediatrics
Psychiatry
Radiology
Surgery

I'm not really not interested "what's the best specialty" but in any ones that you think are interesting and worth learning about. The only one I know a bit about now is family so I'm open to all the rest. So what 4 would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose the ones that interest me. If I was only interested in one, then that's the one that I would attend. Otherwise give them numbers, and pick four out of a hat. It isn't like they won't do this again or like you can't find this information on your own.

I am assuming you have no idea what you want to do, so go as broadly as you can. I would pick:
Emergency Medicine
Internal Medicine
Radiology
Surgery

Surgery and Internal medicine are obvious ones, EM because they treat similar patients, but from a different perspective. Radiology because it is a field with minimal patient care, yet very important to the other fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd pick the ones I'm least likely to run across 3rd year unless I take the elective... Anesthesia, Pathology, Nephrology...

njbmd, I agree with what you said but my problem is I'm not sure which ones interest me. My school is very big on family so I've gotten some exposure to it but none in other areas (I'm still in first year so that's probably why).

I am assuming you have no idea what you want to do, so go as broadly as you can. I would pick:

Surgery and Internal medicine are obvious ones, EM because they treat similar patients, but from a different perspective. Radiology because it is a field with minimal patient care, yet very important to the other fields.

Thanks penguinophile! I'm thinking maybe I should surgery and IM as they're pretty broad fields and I can get some more info on the specialties within them.

njbmd, I agree with what you said but my problem is I'm not sure which ones interest me. My school is very big on family so I've gotten some exposure to it but none in other areas (I'm still in first year so that's probably why).

Thanks penguinophile! I'm thinking maybe I should surgery and IM as they're pretty broad fields and I can get some more info on the specialties within them.

I agree with the above poster about picking ones that you are least likely to do core rotations in 3rd year on

OP, you're asking us to tell you what you're interested in? Just go to the ones you think are interesting based on what you know. Easy decision.

I'd pick the ones with the least exposure in your med school curriculum. Everybody has to do medicine, surgery etc. so you'll have months with those residents to ask questions. You might not get to do ortho or radiology or whatever so take the chance to meet some residents now. That way you can decide if the area is worth an elective period/research project.

My personal choices would involve Anesthesia, Radiology, EM and Ortho. Why? Because they are what interest me.

Rads, Ortho, Anesthesia, EM. These are very popular & unlikely to be taken during M3 core rotations. Thus, you get the most bang for your buck

I decided to go with what people were saying and choose specialties that I am not likely to see in my core rotations. Interestingly, like the 2 posters above me, I choose to do rads, anes, ortho and EM.

Thanks for the awesome advice guys!