Residents: what do you think of MS3 surgery students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opr8n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So im a PGY3 surg resident now, and ive noticed something about ms3 students, it seems atleast at my institution that they are protected soo much that they dont learn anything, and i say that for many reasons, let me compare and contrast my ms3 experience:

I came in to round at 4:30-5 before the interns
They come in at 6 when i now come in

I used to write 4-6 full notes in the am before the intern got there
They are lucky to get one written

I was at every OR case I could be at
I dont see somew of them ever show up in the or

I had to be on call q3 for 8 weeks and didnt go home the next day till 6pm sometimes
They take "short call" till 10pm, only four times in 8 weeks

I was expected to know every patient on the list
They know no one, not even the people they round on

I read every night for atleast an hour
They dont know anything, do they read?

I could go on...

AM I being too critical or hard?
Do your ms3s have lax requirements/work ethic like ours do?
Whats you opinion of the training of ms3s?

Im not sure they learn much of anything without a traditional surgery rotation

Members don't see this ad.

i agree partially.

i am an intern with a ms3 under me.

but i call ms 15 min before we round. i ask them to know only 4 patients we round on. i ask them to leave after the evening rounds and if they are on call they are not there later than 7.

we also read atleast 2 hr cos of absite. it depends on what program you are in and what type of intern you have

You know our attendings thought we were lazy, right?

Its the nature of every generation to think they had it harder, worked more and appreciated it more than the one behind them.

That said, I have noticed a difference in the expectations and I am not alone in that observation. Many a talking head has commented on the generation which was given a trophy for just showing up and who expects a pat on the head for the most mundane tasks/achievements.

There are still good quality students going into surgery who know how to work hard and will put for the required effort. But many students will take the more lenient requirements of their medical schools (yes, ours also had that "short call" thing...I would tell the students you can either go home at 10p if nothing is going on and work a whole day tomorrow or you can stay the night, and even if you sleep the whole night, can go home post-call when I go home) and run with them and whine about what little they have to do. But blame the school and others for setting such low standards.

So, its hard not to be disillusioned about the students but remember you probably didn't work very hard on a rotation you hated either. I'll bet the majority of those who want to do surgery will work hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
So im a PGY3 surg resident now, and ive noticed something about ms3 students, it seems atleast at my institution that they are protected soo much that they dont learn anything, and i say that for many reasons, let me compare and contrast my ms3 experience:

I had to be on call q3 for 8 weeks and didnt go home the next day till 6pm sometimes

I could go on...

I'm an M3 at a somewhat notoriously "old-school" surgery program in the southeast and our surgery rotation is almost exactly how you described yours. Not all medical schools have gone soft on their students.

I'm an M3 at a somewhat notoriously "old-school" surgery program in the southeast and our surgery rotation is almost exactly how you described yours. Not all medical schools have gone soft on their students.

Yeah, it's a little frustrating for me too. I mean it seems like all I hear about is how entitled our generation acts, how lazy we are, how defiant we are, and how coddled we need to be. Some of us don't want any special treatment, want to work hard, give my residents and attendings every inch of their due respect, and meet the same standards that my role models before me met. And dude, I do work hard. I don't give anyone attitude, I'm friendly, and I'm a normal person.

Yeah, it's a little frustrating for me too. I mean it seems like all I hear about is how entitled our generation acts, how lazy we are, how defiant we are, and how coddled we need to be. Some of us don't want any special treatment, want to work hard, give my residents and attendings every inch of their due respect, and meet the same standards that my role models before me met. And dude, I do work hard. I don't give anyone attitude, I'm friendly, and I'm a normal person.

When I meet students like you, I treat them well, let them do lots, both in and outside the OR, talk them up to attendings, encourage them. But I am not allowed to expect that a student will try to make himself part of the team, know anything about any patient, or be in the OR when there are cases. If I suggest he should do those things, I risk being reprimanded. So, I don't. I just hope you figure it out, as I never had to. I admit, it's not fair to you. It was easier when the expectation was clearly articulated by the chief resident, the expectations were high, but universally so, and everyone knew what was expected. Just think of this as a chance to stand out. And ignore the people who think you're a gunner -- you have to do what's best for your patients, present and future. People like you, who want to work hard, meet the same standards that their role models met, earn the respect of their colleagues, commit themselves to the welfare of their patients and their team, are the future of our profession. Hopefully you (we) can keep the light alive until the pendulum swings far enough in the other direction that surgical education can continue in peace.

Anka

I *am* a medical student, so my perspective is obviously skewed.

At Columbia you have the option of a relatively easy surgery rotation (at one of three community hospitals); a pretty difficult rotation (at a NYC affiliate), or a very difficult one (at the Mothership). Obviously students who think they're interested in surgery vie for the Mothership slots. I know I worked 100+ hours a week on mine, and actually think that having "short call" (which *never* got me home at 10!) was in some ways worse than having regular q4 call, since I would be doing an emergency case till 1-2 AM and be expected back in the hospital by 5.

The bottom line, though, is understanding the purpose of a surgery rotation. For every single student who chooses NOT to go into something surgical, the point is to be somewhat familiar with the diagnosis and management of surgical disease, of trauma resuscitation principles, and the role a surgeon/surgery plays in the spectrum of patient care.

For those of us who do go into surgery, the purpose is the above, plus solidifying our interest in the field. For us, it's important that the rotation provided a reasonable simulation of residency so we can see if our stamina matches up to our interest.

I think in a multi-tiered system like Columbia's the needs of both groups are well-served.

At my school, we don't do short call, either. We took q4 overnight call, and although the school told us we could go home at noon, no one ever did, since the attendings would rip us a new one if we ever suggested it, or even took them up on their offer to leave. Surgery was my first rotation, so at that time, the residents were kind enough to let us "cap" at 6 patients each. They also reserved the ICU patients for the fourth year AI's rather than third years. Students doing the rotation later in the year carried heavier patient loads and had ICU patients, too, usually any where from 6-10 patients each, with the same call schedule (obviously). I read a lot on surgery, actually, mostly from Sabiston for the OR/wards, since my attending would freak out if we weren't reading a "real" surgery book (Lawrence didn't count). Also, all the cases HAD to have a student scrubbed in in the OR, and we were responsible for working the schedule out amonst ourselves. We wrote the pre-op H and P/note (if not one recently dictated from the office), op note, post op note, helped get the patient all set up in the OR, and followed all the patients whose surgeries we scrubbed in on.

I really enjoyed the OR, the pathology of surgical disease, peri-operative management, and really didn't mind the hours, which were well over 100 most weeks. And my attendings all thought I was going into surgery, and repeatedly said my work ethic would serve me well in the future. But, any interest I had in surgery was killed by the surgeons I worked with...so, if I were in a position where I was given the choice of taking short call or long call, or scrubbing a case or not, etc, I'd probably pick the option that got me as far away from the extremely malignant surgery department at my school as possible.

Also, I was discussing this with a friend, who reminded me that there's nothing wrong with not wanting to be a surgeon and reminded me that there were plenty of people who had as much contempt for surgery/surgeons as the surgeons do for pediatricians/ob-gyns/IM docs. Our peds clerkship was pretty poorly organized, and it was sort of incumbant upon the student to show up for call, since the residents didn't really enforce things. You can bet that those students going into surgery were the first ones to not show for call, stating that taking peds call doesn't really help them become better surgeons. Perhaps some of the MS3's who aren't crazy about standing in the OR getting yelled at 100 hours a week just feel it doesn't really further their goals, either?

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread. I'm a MS4 now (at a Southern California school not in Los Angeles) that went through a pretty brutal third year. I didn't realize how brutal it was in comparison to other schools until I went on away rotations.

On my surgery rotation, I was in the hospital at 4am every day. I was asked to "see all the ICU patients (usually 5-8) every morning, page the R2 if you need help, and if you get done in time see as many floor patients as you can." (We did not have an intern on service during the 1.5 months I was on these services.) To be fair, "seeing the ICU patients" meant focusing only on the issues relevant to the specialty I was rotating through, so I left things like DVT prophylaxis and micro results to the critical care team. Most days, I'd end up getting stuck with the on-call R2 until 9pm to 10pm. It was brutal. Call was q3-4, depending on the rotation. We did get a post-call day after 30 +/- 3 hours, which was nice. While on call, I had to carry a trauma pager which went off every 5 goddamn minutes. When it went off, I'd rush to the trauma bay (where the med student has a defined role, not just as an observer). I lost a lot of sleep during 3 months of surgery, but I learned a lot and will be a better physician because of it.

When I did my fourth year aways, I was surprised at what I saw. The MS3s were coming in a 6am, pre-rounding with the intern (i.e., shadowing), going to the OR, and going home to read whenever they felt like it. They were surprised when I went to the OR with the patient, put the foley in, and wrote the op note and the post-op check. At my school, I would have had my ass handed to me if I didn't take care of those things on my own.

There is a saying up in the intern's lounge:

"Show me a medical student that only tripples my work....and I will kiss their feet"

There is a saying up in the intern's lounge:

"Show me a medical student that only tripples my work....and I will kiss their feet"

That's from House of God if I'm not mistaken.

Our students are generally unmotivated and expect Surgery to be spoonfed to them. Some are good but that is usually limited to those VERY interested in surgery. Others simply count the days until their rotation is over. Few read outside the hospital and they certainly don't show any intellectual initiative. Then our department gets dinged for "residents unwilling to teach students." It's very hard to make time to teach students when they don't give a sh$t and are busy trying to figure out which lifestyle-friendly specialty they will pursue (My head will explode if I hear one more student say they "love" surgery and would have done surgery but select ER because their schedule will be better, good riddence! sorry for tangent but it seems to apply...) Working with a motivated student is very enjoyable and mutually beneficial but unfortunately most do not fit this description.

Back when I was a resident/intern, I thought that the MS-3s at my institution had a pretty "cush" rotation compared to my experience as an MS-3. Without exception, the MS-3s that came into the program later as interns/residents turned out the be exceptional. I chalked my original opinion up to different perspective. When I was an MS-3, I though my rotation was extreme at times. By the time I entered residency, I actually found out what the word "extreme" meant. It turned out to be a matter of perspective.

but remember you probably didn't work very hard on a rotation you hated either. .
prob true for alot ofmpeople, but not me. I worked my azz off on every ms3 rotation

P=MD

was NOT my philosophy

Members don't see this ad :)
i mostly bring this up b.c the point of thrid year rotations is to make you aware ofwhat the specialitities do, even if you dont go into that speciality. To do that you have to participate, get entrinched, work hard. The standards start at the top, the program has to set the standard for what is expected.

I hate getting consults from people who have no idea how to take the first step in a gen surg workup.

I see, CAT scans for cholcystitis, stat consults for reducible hernias, people waiting 3 days on nec fasc (by which time the pt is almost dead)

Without peoples surgery rotation, they dont understand crap about taking care of realy sick people or the first thing about reading film, ect

And like many people said above, then we are expected to grade the students... I honestly dont know what to grade them on most times, b/c they didnt do anything, any if I give them a bad eval, then we are not teaching them or paying them enough attention.

Let me tell all the ms3s this:
If you want residents to teach you then . .
1. Work hard
2. Be early
3. As questions
4. Know you patients
5. READ

These are basic things
ms3s dont have to take care of the patients, they just have to learn, but alot of them dont evebn try to do that

breath, im done

I hate getting consults from people who have no idea how to take the first step in a gen surg workup.

I see, CAT scans for cholcystitis, stat consults for reducible hernias, people waiting 3 days on nec fasc (by which time the pt is almost dead)

Which of these things did you learn by getting 4 hours of sleep a night and prerounding at 4am? One of the better trends in medical education is shifting clerkships from "spend a month as a neutered intern" to "spend a month learning what doctors NOT going into this field need to know". If you want to get ready to be a surgical intern and learn what surgical interns need to know, that's why they have surgery AIs.

It is likely that 90% of people on surgery clerkship will never do surgery again. Our school said, unsurprisingly, shelf scores went up significantly when they shifted from q4 call. If I went into something non-surgical I'd rather have that knowledge than the extra hours I could have been doing clerical work that the intern would repeat an hour later anyway.

One of the better trends in medical education is shifting clerkships from "spend a month as a neutered intern" to "spend a month learning what doctors NOT going into this field need to know". .
obviously not, but the examples i was referring to above wer medicine consults and ED consults. The medical students today who are going into otherspecialitiesdont understand anything about surgery

unsurprisingly, shelf scores went up significantly when they shifted from q4 call. If I went into something non-surgical I'd rather have that knowledge than the extra hours I could have been doing clerical work that the intern would repeat an hour later anyway.
im sure i don thav eto tell you that a majority (>50%) of the surgey
r shelf is actually medicine stuff

and i dont think you grade on surgery should be so heavily weighted on the shelf, b/c it dosent mean anyhting and dosent judge youre clinical experience on surgeyr which is what you are on the rotation for

overheard one medical student to another-

"I'm not scrubbing into that carotid, I never get to DO anything"

It is likely that 90% of people on surgery clerkship will never do surgery again. Our school said, unsurprisingly, shelf scores went up significantly when they shifted from q4 call. If I went into something non-surgical I'd rather have that knowledge than the extra hours I could have been doing clerical work that the intern would repeat an hour later anyway.[/QUOTE]

One of the most misdirected medical students I have worked with was allowed to pass the rotation because he got an "82" on the shelf. He didn't know which way was up and was failed outright by every resident with whom he worked. He had no idea how to function clinically and was essentially unteachable. Other rotations had not uncovered this because they are even more pampered there than on our service. Asking him to do a little work revealed his true inability to be a clinical physician.

Long story short, shelf scores mean nothing, blah blah blah the pleural of anecdote is not data, blah blah blah. Surgery is a clinical science/practice. The only way to learn surgery, which is what students are supposed to do- or so I have been told, is to evaluate and participate in the care of surgery patients. Reading about surgical disease helps reinforce what you see clinically. Surgical recall crammed into students' heads weeks, days and hours before the shelf will be forgotten long before the memory of working someone up with gangrenous cholecystitis, holding the camera in the operation and then rounding on them postop with 30 minutes of solid reading in there somewhere.

Then when you are a GP, you will remember that the wise, fun to be around, and all around good guy surgery resident evaluated the patient with an ultrasound and didn't eliminate choices "a MRI ", "b AXR", and "e EGD" and then correctly guessed "d US" because "c CT" was the answer to the last three questions.

One of the most misdirected medical students I have worked with was allowed to pass the rotation because he got an "82" on the shelf. He didn't know which way was up and was failed outright by every resident with whom he worked. He had no idea how to function clinically and was essentially unteachable. Other rotations had not uncovered this because they are even more pampered there than on our service. Asking him to do a little work revealed his true inability to be a clinical physician.

Long story short, shelf scores mean nothing, blah blah blah the pleural of anecdote is not data, blah blah blah. Surgery is a clinical science/practice. The only way to learn surgery, which is what students are supposed to do- or so I have been told, is to evaluate and participate in the care of surgery patients. Reading about surgical disease helps reinforce what you see clinically. Surgical recall crammed into students' heads weeks, days and hours before the shelf will be forgotten long before the memory of working someone up with gangrenous cholecystitis, holding the camera in the operation and then rounding on them postop with 30 minutes of solid reading in there somewhere.

Then when you are a GP, you will remember that the wise, fun to be around, and all around good guy surgery resident evaluated the patient with an ultrasound and didn't eliminate choices "a MRI ", "b AXR", and "e EGD" and then correctly guessed "d US" because "c CT" was the answer to the last three questions.
:laugh:

Good post.

I could go on...

Med schools are now increasingly soft on their students.

Surgical recall crammed into students' heads weeks, days and hours before the shelf will be forgotten long before the memory of working someone up with gangrenous cholecystitis, holding the camera in the operation and then rounding on them postop with 30 minutes of solid reading in there somewhere.

Okay.. but what we're talking about medical schools reducing is the amount of pre-prerounding and overnight call. Which wouldn't interfere with what you just listed and would allow students to read about their cases. When you only have eight weeks on surgery, I know I got a lot more out of reading for a day's cases then scrubbing in on them and seeing the pt postop versus staying overnight, getting hauled out of bed at 1am for a case I didn't know much about, hanging hook for six hours then going home.

I can sympathize with the student who didn't want to scrub in because s/he never gets to "do" anything, actually. All of my days were spent in the OR holding retractors, often without a view of the field. I know, I know, I'm a lowly med student, I should pay my dues, have respect for my "teachers," call them sir, and shut up about it. But, I have always felt that ultimately, I am responsible for my education. While I respect the experience of professors and attendings who have taught others, I really don't think they always know what's best for me to learn. I can say, quite confidently in fact, that staring at the back of someone's gown while holding a retractor listening to some jerk surgeon berate everyone in the room, then spew out a string of profanity, is not very educational.

I would have loved to see consults, spend more time on the floor, see patients in the ED, etc, but most of the time, the residents would send us down, yell at us for taking too long, then yell at who ever called the consult, either for 1) calling a consult on a patient who didn't need it or 2) calling too late on a patient who did need it. Then, if you ask a question on why the consult was inappropriate or whatever, they yelled at you for not reading enough.

Anyway, I feel that part of the reason students aren't interested in doing surgery and being as present on surgery rotations is that they get pretty sick of being yelled at all the time for stuff that's not their fault, or for some minor infraction, like mis-naming an artery. Further, I and many of the classmates find the language used in the OR and some of the topics of conversation objectionable for any sort of professional environment. Lastly, all the bad mouthing of other services gets a little old.

So yea...although I totally get that some schools may have "cush" ms3 rotations and some ms3's are lazy, the environment of a surgical clerkship leaves a lot to be desired, and despite enjoying surgery and not minding hard work, I would take an opportunity to get out of that environment if possible. Again, perhaps at other schools, the surgery clerkship isn't this terrible, but this is exactly what I did for the months I spent on surgery.

face it, surgery is a malignant environment. it is, and it should be - it keeps out the ppl who shouldn't be there. i remember getting called pretty much every obscenity you could think of, and it was the first week of 3rd year. if i was sitting down, i was lazy, and if i was asked a question, my answer was never the right one (even when it was the right one). fortunately i wasn't ever hit with anything but i imagine i must have been close at times. and i still plan on going into a surgical subspecialty - why? i plan on perpetuating the cycle of hazing because tradition is important: abuse the students who become the attendings who abuse the students :thumbup:

very interesting and worth while post

I think this is actually a very valid topic and something that several medical school struggle with

One of the problems with setting up a student's surgical rotation is that you are going to have tier levels of interest and motivation. some people will want to complain at the drop of a hat; while others will think the students don't do enough

first you have to define what the goals are of the 3rd year surgical rotation:

1) first and foremost would be to teach all students, regardless of what they are going into the basics of surgery (ie how to take down/redress a wound, how to drain an abscess, how to asses an acute abdomen, how to asses a trauma patient; be able to describe to their patients what they might need to have done for various conditions).
These are all basic things I think we would all hope that our colleagues in other fields would know how to do (ie no one likes getting called by medicine to "assses the wound" only to come and remove a bandage on a well healed wound)

2) second would be to teach the students basic habits of good patient care (ie if you have a sick patient to stay late to stabilize that patient even if you are not on call; you round on the patients you scrubbed on)

3) third, would be to give all students enough of a taste of surgery so that they might be able to decide if they want to go into the field

The trick is to make a rotation that fits all of these very different criteria.
Some key components

1) have rotations that are varying levels of intensity. have some more labor intensive rotations (ie some harder gen surg rotations at a county hosp vs a lighter rotation at a private hospital)

2) all students do at least one "hard" month. everyone should have to do at least one month at the county or va where they are required to take in house call. in house call actually forces them to get up and see the case as the present in the middle of the night

3) call should be Q5-7. No need to kill the students. they are not there to do a subi yet. Have them take enough call to see certain basic consults and fell like they are part of the team

4) Have them preround in the AM on 3-5 pt. Not just to help you get through the work, but to actually have them see a normal post operative course

Trying to find the correct balance is a very tricky thing. On top of all of that the students vary widely in their interest and skill levels

HI,
I went to the Traditional Surgery program. Exactly like you stated... 4:30 got there... 6 rounded with Residents.

I did everything possible (According to me) to be a good student. However, it was an Odd experience for me... I had one resident that didn't like me and I ended up being targeted severely for every mistake I made.

I don't argue that I was making mistakes but... I would get yelled at for the mistakes! Rather than being taught the proper way. I would hate morning rounds because the only thing on my mind was what was I going to be yelled at today about!

The other thing was... the program that I attended the resident(s) and attendings had the attitude that "you are not good enough for surgery"... All the students got this vibe from the program... It was eerie to be at such a place... because every other speciality works hard to sell themselves as being something the students should pursue, but here they were opposite and would put efforts of the students down. I know because I expressed interest in Surgery from the start and was never motivated... and always told you can't be a surgeon... I mean come on... I was trying and I know the type of person I am. My point is why would you ever tell someone you can't be something if they express interest in it.

I hope that if you as residents are reading this please... when you have a student that shows interest in surgery, guide them, advise them, explain to them, but don't put them down.

I believe your goal should be to have students leaving your rotation saying I Want to pursue surgery! not that they are saying to themselves...
Yea! I survived this crazy rotation and I am still interested in surgery!

Most schools have undergone a shift in their view upon the nature of third-year clinical clerkships. They clerkships are now intended to give the student some experience in clinical medicine, but the prime goal is for the student to find their field.

I don't expect a third year medical student to be able to work up an acute abdomen, suture a laceration, reduce a fracture, or evaluate a trauma patient. I expect them to know if these are things that they want to learn how to do.

While I don't entirely agree with this philosophy, it has become the dominant educational paradigm for clinical medicine and I have accepted my role.

It's weird because there's such a dichotomy of how surgical clerkships are presented on SDN. I'd say the majority of students on here present their clerkships as very very rigorous: get in at 4:00, stay till 8 pm, q3 call. Yet residents are constantly complaining about how lax the surgery clerkships are at their institutions. Weird how that happens.

For my part, I thought my clerkship was on the easier side of average. Sure, we got their early al days and it wasn't uncommon to stay late, but I was expecting the horror stories of "I didn't even have time to go to the bathroom!" rotations I hear on here. Yet, when students from class still go to institutions and more often than not claim we're much more rigorous on students here then where they rotate. Very odd.

It's weird because there's such a dichotomy of how surgical clerkships are presented on SDN. I'd say the majority of students on here present their clerkships as very very rigorous: get in at 4:00, stay till 8 pm, q3 call. Yet residents are constantly complaining about how lax the surgery clerkships are at their institutions. Weird how that happens.

I don't know that its necessarily weird.

The rules about what medical students can and can't do aren't set by the surgical faculty but generally by the medical school admnistration who may be separate people/departments.

Additionally, rules for medical students and rules (or lack thereof) for residents aren't necessarily the same.

For my part, I thought my clerkship was on the easier side of average. Sure, we got their early al days and it wasn't uncommon to stay late, but I was expecting the horror stories of "I didn't even have time to go to the bathroom!" rotations I hear on here. Yet, when students from class still go to institutions and more often than not claim we're much more rigorous on students here then where they rotate. Very odd.[/quote]

For my part, I thought my clerkship was on the easier side of average. Sure, we got their early al days and it wasn't uncommon to stay late, but I was expecting the horror stories of "I didn't even have time to go to the bathroom!" rotations I hear on here. Yet, when students from class still go to institutions and more often than not claim we're much more rigorous on students here then where they rotate. Very odd.

Yeah, there's a phenomenon during rotations where students are only vocal about how ridiculously hard their rotation is (most of the time exaggerated, in my experience), or how cushy it is (again, often exaggerated). The vast majority are probably average. I think the question that this thread seeks to address is whether "average" has gotten more lax over the years. It's possible. But for the record, if that's true, I don't think we're necessarily less willing to work as hard as generations passed, I just think we're asked to do it less (by our institutions, mostly). And then in the more rare instances where we are, students are more likely to reflect that based on their frame of reference (an easier baseline "average" rotation), this rotation may be rough, even though it's not when compared to average rotations from before our time.

But again, I don't exactly want to defend lazy med students, because they're just as frustrating to other med students as they are to residents. And I get just as frustrated by people who dramatize and exaggerate on either end how easy/hard their rotation is. Just shut up and dig your feet in. I don't mind occasional gripe sessions and certainly vent to my friends, but some people make it a mindset.

Another thing about timing...

Personally I have never had to (prior to the Surgery Rotation) ever get up at 3:30am and to get to the wards by 4:30am. :eek:

It is easy once we are in the habit to write "get to the wards at 4:30am" and so and so... but when you think about it... for med students who have had countless all-nighters it still a shock...
Furthermore it isn't about doing it for a week or 2 weeks but for 12 weeks with q3 calls + postcall.
I know surgical residents work much harder than this and I am prepared to do this and have no complains about it. But, still 3:30am:eek: :D

My problem was when do I study, because I need 8 hours to function can't manage in 4... And when I tried 4 hours I make stupid mistakes and get yelled at...

So med students end up bunking OR and take advantage of the library.

As I alluded to before, I while I feel like I was at the hospital long hours, it wasn't THAT different from some other clerkships and certainly no different than my AI. The problem I had was that the hours on the surgery clerkship were so unpleasant and in a lot of ways, unproductive.

And to the person who mentioned they wouldn't expect 3rd years to work up an acute abdomen, or suture a lac, etc, I feel like that would be an infintely better use of at least SOME clinical time than standing in the OR, seeing nothing. I bet most would be eager to learn, and certainly more than willing, especially if you were actually going to teach, rather than berate them.

There are only two things that make one learn during medical school clinical rotations: pimping, and variety.

If you never get asked questions, there's no incentive to learn. If you see a variety of different cases, and are pimped thoroughly on all of them, you will learn that material. In fact, you will probably read up on and learn things that you don't see as well, in anticipation of being pimped on them. If you see the same thing over and over again, is there any value in that? If you're learning to do the procedure, sure there is. If you're a medical student, there's no value whatsoever.

Case in point: doing my ENT elective, I saw and scrubbed on a different case pretty much every day. The chief and attending pimped me from time to time, sometimes they didn't, sometimes they did, but I always tried to read up on the casese I was doing tomorrow so that I wouldn't look like an idiot. And so I learned a whole lot of stuff, way more than I expected to in 2 weeks.

Now for 8 weeks of surgery, pre-rounding on patients at 4:30 in the morning, asking them the same questions, if they farted, walked around, etc. so that I can get my notes done so that I can look hardworking in front of the resident - is there any educational value in that? Sure, to an extent. These are necessary skills, to learn the basic post-op course for a patient. But after you've done it for a day or two, there's no further learning in it. You're helping out the team, so that feels good, but you're definitely not learning a damn thing.

You've seen three lap appys, you've seen them all. If you're going to be a general surgeon, then yes, you need to see all the possible variants of anatomy, and all the possible complications of a given procedure. But as a medical student, you just need to get a general idea, to see if that's what you want to end up doing with your life. It's fine that surgery tends to be a malignant rotation -- that's the tradition of the field, and that's accepted and that's the way it will stay. But it really comes down to you guys, the residents. Ask the med students questions, ask them WHAT THEY WOULD DO if THEY were the resident. That's how we learn. That's what the point of this whole exercise is, not to see who wakes up the earliest or stays the latest for the sake of waking up earlier or staying later.

There are only two things that make one learn during medical school clinical rotations: pimping, and variety.

If you never get asked questions, there's no incentive to learn. If you see a variety of different cases, and are pimped thoroughly on all of them, you will learn that material. In fact, you will probably read up on and learn things that you don't see as well, in anticipation of being pimped on them. If you see the same thing over and over again, is there any value in that? If you're learning to do the procedure, sure there is. If you're a medical student, there's no value whatsoever.

Case in point: doing my ENT elective, I saw and scrubbed on a different case pretty much every day. The chief and attending pimped me from time to time, sometimes they didn't, sometimes they did, but I always tried to read up on the casese I was doing tomorrow so that I wouldn't look like an idiot. And so I learned a whole lot of stuff, way more than I expected to in 2 weeks.

Now for 8 weeks of surgery, pre-rounding on patients at 4:30 in the morning, asking them the same questions, if they farted, walked around, etc. so that I can get my notes done so that I can look hardworking in front of the resident - is there any educational value in that? Sure, to an extent. These are necessary skills, to learn the basic post-op course for a patient. But after you've done it for a day or two, there's no further learning in it. You're helping out the team, so that feels good, but you're definitely not learning a damn thing.

You've seen three lap appys, you've seen them all. If you're going to be a general surgeon, then yes, you need to see all the possible variants of anatomy, and all the possible complications of a given procedure. But as a medical student, you just need to get a general idea, to see if that's what you want to end up doing with your life. It's fine that surgery tends to be a malignant rotation -- that's the tradition of the field, and that's accepted and that's the way it will stay. But it really comes down to you guys, the residents. Ask the med students questions, ask them WHAT THEY WOULD DO if THEY were the resident. That's how we learn. That's what the point of this whole exercise is, not to see who wakes up the earliest or stays the latest for the sake of waking up earlier or staying later.

Hey goremachine, thanks for posting an interesting comment. The first thing that comes to mind reading your post is that, and this is an educated guess here, your chief/senior residents sucked pretty bad on gen surg. Maybe not pretty bad, but really bad, like Sara Palin bad :)

There's a lot of opinion, fact, and impression in your post, and I'm not going to tease out everything line by line, but a few points are worth commenting on.

You compare being in the OR on ENT with rounding on the floor on gen surg (paragraphs 2 and 3, and if this was not your intent, then you just wrote your comment poorly), and I understand the point you are trying to make, but I think it could be made better. Let me explain. Your experience in the OR on ENT, being pimped occasionally, was positive. Yet you do not describe any comparable experience in the OR on gen surg. I would bet that if a gen surg attending pimped you during a case it would also be a good experience. Similarly, if you were to round on your ENT post-op patients everyday, asking them if they can see, hear, feel, swallow, doing the same neuro exam over and over and over and over, you would probably also say "is there any educational value in that?"

The point of doing the exam over and over and over and over is not to torture, to write a note, to waste time, etc, but to 1) see if your patient is progressing as expected and, probably more importantly, 2) discover complications. Do you know how your patient is supposed to progress? if not. ASK. Do you know what the post-op complications are and how they present? if not. ASK. Any med student who thinks that they are the only ones who care about the vitals and lab values are sorely mistaken: the initial non-op splenic lac that bleeds out on hospital day 3 and needs their spleen out; their vitals/labs may have been stone cold normal for the first 2 days (i.e. boring). The morbidly obese post-op lap gastric bypass that, previously fine, now has a low grade fever and is slightly tachpneic (i.e. disaster pending). This is why you ask the same questions over and over.

I absolutely agree that med students are supposed to get a 'general' idea of what surgery is like. There is an important point in here: 'general', to most residents and attendings, is intended to mean brief and (most) likely limited, but DEFINATELY not less intense. I believe this is where a lot of resentment, discontent between students/residents/attendings occurs. If a student is on a particular service for, lets say just 2, or even 4, weeks, the residents and attendings, expect that the student is completely, utterly, totally, involved in the service during that time. Anything less, is, well, not 'honors' work. The medical school administration should provide students with enough time to study, over the course of the rotation, to do well on a shelf exam. This NEVER substitutes for learning about a particular case on a particular patient on a rotation.

I completely, wholeheartedly agree with goremachine that residents need to be actively involved in teaching, actively teaching, their med students.

I don't know that its necessarily weird.

The rules about what medical students can and can't do aren't set by the surgical faculty but generally by the medical school admnistration who may be separate people/departments.

Additionally, rules for medical students and rules (or lack thereof) for residents aren't necessarily the same.

I'm just wondering if it's a Lake Wobegon phenomenon where all surgical clerkships are above (or below I guess) average.

Interesting reading that relates to this topic on several levels.

that is an interesting read, and seems to be supported from multiple articles that I have read. From what little I know of human nature, its that people get away with exactly how much they can. Employers (or med schools, colleges, etc) must be bending to the wills of the students/employees in order for this behavior to be tolerated. In some ways, it is natural because life without pensions, long term contracts, job security, and a rapidly evolving workplace, etc breeds a more cautious breed of employee. There is no reason to sell your soul to a company which will not do the same for you.

Complex times and complex changes. I am not sure what is good or bad about it necessarily. I will leave it to people smarter than me. It is what it is. The only thing that would change this situation is when people realize they can't get jobs because they are being too picky, too individualistic, too demanding. However, it seems employers need them too much to crack down on this behavior.

Anyone have more insight?

Don't get me going again on the value of "pre-rounding" (see post on discussion last winter about whiny pre-reounders). As medical students, you should be seeing as many patients by yourself as possible- not to impress your residents, not to get honors, not to look hard-working, but to develop the skills related to evaluating a patient and making YOUR OWN assessment. Those skills cross all specialty lines. Surgery is an excellent opportunity for that because you will see the entire spectrum of healthy patients to death warmed over- post op gallbladders who you kept overnight just to watch to the trauma patient who had a damage control laparotomy with an open abdomen on the vent with pressors to an endstage cirrhotic wearing a football helmet and on and on... Each offers and endless number of things to learn if you just work a little.

This applies to nobody more than the medical student who plans on pursuing careers like family practice or internal medicine because it will be your patients who the surgeon is asked to see. In the current inpatient care model, there is a consultant for everything. The patient will usually be admitted to a medicine type physician and a surgeon will consult. Even though you will not be the physician performing an operation (not "performing surgery" by the way...) you will be helping to care for the patient. It would be more than nice if you could have a clue, even a small clue, about surgical disease and the basics of its management. You can bet your last penny that surgeons know the basics of hypertension, glucose control, heart failure, infections, critical care, etc... 3rd year clerkship is your opportunity to at least try to learn it and it is learned at the bedside. There are no patients in the library.

There are no patients in the library.
good quote, i totally agree

the problem is that schools place wyyyyy too much importance on the stupid shelf b/c it is the most objective way to critique someone

Further, I and many of the classmates find the language used in the OR and some of the topics of conversation objectionable for any sort of professional environment. Lastly, all the bad mouthing of other services gets a little old.

Hehehehe! You'd best stay real close to your mother and way the hell out of the operating room. You're absolutely right, the language and conversation in the operating room is almost universally racy and not for the faint of heart.

Interesting reading that relates to this topic on several levels.

That was an interesting read. I remember scores of articles being written by boomers about the kids from their first marriages – the evil X'ERS. Remember the X’ERS are all a bunch of lazy unmotivated little bastards who are screwing up everything for the boomers. I’m glad to see that the boomers have turned their attention away from the throwaway kids to the kids from their second marriages. I feel sorry for the Boomers. They are the most entitled generation ever to walk the face of the earth and they just can't seem to find anyone willing to serve their every whim and worship them.

Hehehehe! You'd best stay real close to your mother and way the hell out of the operating room. You're absolutely right, the language and conversation in the operating room is almost universally racy and not for the faint of heart.

Um, yea, I would stay out of the OR if I had a choice, but unfortunately, you can't not do a surgery clerkship. My point was just the "racy" conversations were borderline at best for a professional workplace, and might contribute to students feeling uncomfortable on the rotation.

You can bet your last penny that surgeons know the basics of hypertension, glucose control, heart failure, infections, critical care, etc... 3rd year clerkship is your opportunity to at least try to learn it and it is learned at the bedside. There are no patients in the library.

I find it objectionable that as a surgery resident I can (and have) take care of any patient with out of control HTN, DM, CHF, sepsis or any litany of medical problems that could kill a person...at least over night until the calvalry arrives...but many medicine residents who've called me to consult about a patient aren't even clear on what their clinical question is. I often find myself thinking that if they'd paid attention during their third year surgery rotation, they would at least have an inkling of what's going on. What's worse is that some residents who call me seem unwilling or uninterested and simply want to pass the buck and cede responsibility to the consultant so they can get on to the next little check box of people to call and results to follow up on.

I find it objectionable that as a surgery resident I can (and have) take care of any patient with out of control HTN, DM, CHF, sepsis or any litany of medical problems that could kill a person...at least over night until the calvalry arrives...but many medicine residents who've called me to consult about a patient aren't even clear on what their clinical question is. I often find myself thinking that if they'd paid attention during their third year surgery rotation, they would at least have an inkling of what's going on. What's worse is that some residents who call me seem unwilling or uninterested and simply want to pass the buck and cede responsibility to the consultant so they can get on to the next little check box of people to call and results to follow up on.

"UMMMMMM, Yes, we have a patient with abdominal pain and we don't really know what's going on with him, so we were wondering if surgery would look at him."

Seriously....

When I was a MS-3, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of identification of our roles. We'd come in at 5, and help the team round (there were no pre-rounds, the chief would round at the same time as the intern). We didn't have specific patients, we were just there to get vitals and make sure there were enough dressing supplies. After that, we went to conference, and then the OR/clinic. Call wasn't anywhere close to Q4.

When I was a prelim at a bigtime hsopital in the SE, the MS3's came in to round witht he interns, sometimes earlier. They would give formal presentations to cheifs when they arrived at 6:30. They would sometimes carry 8-10 patients each, and they would know their patients well. All of this was explained to them prior to their first day on the service.

I don't thimk it's because we as med sctudents were lazier, but again, that is what was expected of us.

overheard one medical student to another-

"I'm not scrubbing into that carotid, I never get to DO anything"

:thumbup:

Holding a retractor while being relentlessly pimped for 3+ hours isn't very educational. Explaining what you're doing and why you're doing it is.

I'm considering surgery and have enjoyed the rotations where I actually got to do more than retract and get pimped. Believe it or not, being made to look like a ******* just makes you afraid of asking questions and shifts your reading time to, "What pointless factoid will he ask me about" instead of, "What is really important to know". I don't mind the pimping because I either know it or I don't, but it seems to be more of a distraction than anything.

Getting back to the point, I think schools are beginning to realize that our time is better spent reading than staying up all night to do your 50th lap appy at 3AM. My favorite surgeon to work with so far basically told me that, "call for students is bull****, your time is better spent reading". And no, that's not why he was my favorite.

:thumbup:

Holding a retractor while being relentlessly pimped for 3+ hours isn't very educational. Explaining what you're doing and why you're doing it is.

I'm considering surgery and have enjoyed the rotations where I actually got to do more than retract and get pimped. Believe it or not, being made to look like a ******* just makes you afraid of asking questions and shifts your reading time to, "What pointless factoid will he ask me about" instead of, "What is really important to know". I don't mind the pimping because I either know it or I don't, but it seems to be more of a distraction than anything.

Getting back to the point, I think schools are beginning to realize that our time is better spent reading than staying up all night to do your 50th lap appy at 3AM. My favorite surgeon to work with so far basically told me that, "call for students is bull****, your time is better spent reading". And no, that's not why he was my favorite.

Agreed.

Lets not forget one fundamental underlying economic fact here. (I didn't see this mentioned above.) As students, we are PAYING for our education. We should not be paying to be slaves. While a good education on surgery ought to include some hard hours and hard work, there should be adequate time for learning, reading, and studying. When you are a student, it should about learning, not working. Besides, if you are REALLY learning, you ought to be working pretty damn hard at it. If a student does decide to do a surgical residency, he/she will be paid for it, and should work accordingly.

Oh, and yeah... I agree. I come from a lazy, self-entitled generation. I will say this, however. Before starting medical school, I worked for 5 years in business, where we hired a bunch of lazy, self-entitled people out of undergrad. Honestly, within a few months, *most* of them learned that they wouldn't make it very with that additude, and they started shaping up. (After some hard conversations with the boss and a kick in the ass or 2.) It takes a nice stint in the "real world" sometimes to get that figured out.

Just my opinion.

i think some people are missing the point to this questiobn
I see alot of people complaining about being pimped about random crap in the or and holding retractors for hours without seeing anything
thants not im reffering to
I agree that is pointless

But taking call and seeing consults is important
and i doubt any med student will see 50 appy on call in 2 months
i havent done more than 20 as a resident in 3 years

Here is my problem:
yesterday and Ms3 complained about scrubbing a hemorrhoid case
they said they would rather be in the library
i got pissed b/c its that same person who will go into primary care and send gen syrg all these consults for painless rectal bleeding that dont need an operation, just fiber
unless you scrub on those cases and get pimped on the classifications of hemorrhoids and how to treat them, you wont know how to properly refer your patients
thats just one example

Agreed.

Lets not forget one fundamental underlying economic fact here. (I didn't see this mentioned above.) As students, we are PAYING for our education. We should not be paying to be slaves. While a good education on surgery ought to include some hard hours and hard work, there should be adequate time for learning, reading, and studying. When you are a student, it should about learning, not working. Besides, if you are REALLY learning, you ought to be working pretty damn hard at it. If a student does decide to do a surgical residency, he/she will be paid for it, and should work accordingly.

Just my opinion.

Why not just skip tuition all together, go to the public library (pay some late fees like Good Will Hunting) and learn Surgery by reading it there? You think that works? That would truly be "economic." This will be my last post on this topic because surgical education is based on taking care of patients both inside and outside the operating room and that pimping DOES SERVE A FUNCTION period. Reading only augments your clinical experience. Those who understand it already do and those who don't never will. It is laziness in disguise you're just trying to justify it by complaining about retracting, etc...

Last edited:
Why not just skip tuition all together, go to the public library (pay some late fees like Good Will Hunting) and learn Surgery by reading it there? You think that works? That would truly be "economic." This will be my last post on this topic because surgical education is based on taking care of patients both inside and outside the operating room and that pimping DOES SERVE A FUNCTION period. Reading only augments your clinical experience. Those who understand it already do and those who don't never will. It is laziness in disguise you're just trying to justify it by complaining about retracting, etc...
i agree

there is a reason they are called 3rd year CLINICAL rotations
Its not called 3rd year Reading rotation