Nov 12, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of ResidentsMedicalGroup?

There isn't much information on the web about them, except for the official website. They claim to be able to guarantee a first year of residency upon payment of a certain figure.

On the face of it, it seems to be a scam or sth. But they are a member of the BBB (Better Business Bureau), nor could i find anything suggesting a scam on the web after checking with several search engines.

Would be great to hear some info/experiences.

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
The Alamo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Their founder:
Edwin Everest M.D., P.h.D., ThD, MBA, MHA, MA, CPA, CMA, FCEA, FHSM, FCFA

:laugh:

Dec 19, 2009
Right here
Status
Post Doc
I can't understand who is foolish enough to pay $250K to someone else for securing a residency position? Seriously! Where do they have that much money from? Nothing in life comes with guarantees (except death). So anyone who guarantees me anything 100% is automatically suspect in my book.

People, please don't fall for any scams. Remember, any success that you achieve on your own always tastes so much better than someone doing something for you to get there, paid or unpaid!

Somnus Tuto

Mama said knock u out
Jun 18, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You have to wonder what fantastical ideas these applicants have about what their projected incomes in medicine in this country will be to invest that much and be so easily taken by a scammer. Particularly as many of these applicants will end up either in dead end preliminary slave spots with contracts not renewed or in peds, FM or psych spots, which are just fine but are likely not going to lead to the 7 figures they imagine.

OTOH, many of us have amassed the same amount or more in loans to get to this point.
In our case, however, our expectations may be slightly more realistic...I hope

Ronin786

7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Unfortunately there are a good amount of IMGs that do use these services and do pay upwards of 50-100k just for these placement services.

peppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
It's worth noting that the BBB is kind of a racket as well. They only give their highest rating to businesses that pay them a fee apparently.

docu

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
they are still open for business. i dont get it. is what they do legit or not?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
they are still open for business. i dont get it. is what they do legit or not?
No. Please don't fall for this.

Sep 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Pals,

Have anyone used this service? I spoke to them 2 weeks ago and they are charging $250k+ for training, assistance in research and placement in reputed universities. Looks like he is doing this for last several years. Does anyone used his service? Please share your thoughts.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Pals,

Have anyone used this service? I spoke to them 2 weeks ago and they are charging $250k+ for training, assistance in research and placement in reputed universities. Looks like he is doing this for last several years. Does anyone used his service? Please share your thoughts.
Did you not read the above thread?

This service is a SCAM, there are no guarantees and they are preying on the desperate, uninformed.

Sep 20, 2014
Status
I really want to believe this what you say. They gave me 3 references. Before I spoke to the references, I googled their credentials and they are all MD and either in PG-Y1 or PG-Y2 positions now. They got placed where they were promised [Keck Medical/UC Davis/In DC]. Does someone paid and got ripped off? Any authentic news article or real experiences in this forum? This is an important decision for me.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I really want to believe this what you say. They gave me 3 references. Before I spoke to the references, I googled their credentials and they are all MD and either in PG-Y1 or PG-Y2 positions now. They got placed where they were promised [Keck Medical/UC Davis/In DC]. Does someone paid and got ripped off? Any authentic news article or real experiences in this forum? This is an important decision for me.
Do you have reason to believe that those residents could not have obtained those residency positions themselves without paying someone else $250K USD?

Are those positions CATEGORICAL positions?

If you have the names and contact information of some who have successfully obtained positions with RMG, then they are the best ones to talk to.

As for "authentic news articles" there is plenty of on-line information about charges of bribery, corruption and forgery against the owners of RMG.

Reactions: DermViser

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

You do realize that for enough money I'm sure someone in a deadend prelim somewhere might be willing to say, "sure, this service helped me" and participate in the fraud. I mean if they are charging people hundreds of thousands of dollars, they could easily be paying some desperate or foolish intern a quarter of the take for a 5 minute phone call to close the deal. Not every doctor is honest or ethical unfortunately.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
You do realize that for enough money I'm sure someone in a deadend prelim somewhere might be willing to say, "sure, this service helped me" and participate in the fraud. I mean if they are charging people hundreds of thousands of dollars, they could easily be paying some desperate or foolish intern a quarter of the take for a 5 minute phone call to close the deal. Not every doctor is honest or ethical unfortunately.
Good point; I hadn't thought about that.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Quarter of the take? Hell, pay me $25k (a tenth of the take... in unmarked, nonsequential bills) and I'll be happy to tell someone (privately, unrecorded, with complete deniability) that this service got me into my residency.

Sep 20, 2014
Status
That's definitely a good analogy. There could be definitely a lot of low esteemed medical graduates that can risk their career by providing a false information that could hurt their entire medical career for a few thousand dollars, especially knowing the fact that how easy to locate a complete profile of a person if it is a phone number these days and how easily a sting operation could bust them in to a big trouble and put them behind bars. What I'm looking is, do you know anyone who got scammed by these fellas, lost their money and did not get a position. If you have an experience of a friend of yours or your own or some valid news article that busts this company and its biz process. I myself have lots of incredible theories on how this could definitely be a scam and what are all the methods that could be employed to cheat people. I just want to understand beyond reasonable doubt that this is a scam. Period. Any thoughts?

Reactions: dockddblu
Sep 20, 2014
Status
Raryn - You would not do that even for a million dollar if you have to do it for real. If you have these many criteria to tell a person that you got placed through this service, the person requesting information should be a damn fool to believe you or the company.

Reactions: dockddblu

thesauce

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
That's definitely a good analogy. There could be definitely a lot of low esteemed medical graduates that can risk their career by providing a false information that could hurt their entire medical career for a few thousand dollars, especially knowing the fact that how easy to locate a complete profile of a person if it is a phone number these days and how easily a sting operation could bust them in to a big trouble and put them behind bars. What I'm looking is, do you know anyone who got scammed by these fellas, lost their money and did not get a position. If you have an experience of a friend of yours or your own or some valid news article that busts this company and its biz process. I myself have lots of incredible theories on how this could definitely be a scam and what are all the methods that could be employed to cheat people. I just want to understand beyond reasonable doubt that this is a scam. Period. Any thoughts?
Just go ahead and do it and then report back

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
...I just want to understand beyond reasonable doubt that this is a scam. Period. Any thoughts?
It's a scam beyond a reasonable doubt. Any doubts you seem to have are unreasonable.
Part of the reason you aren't going to ever find concrete examples are that the number of people both dumb enough and rich enough to fall for this are few, and perhaps don't frequent SDN. Plus there are likely legal reasons that this wouldn't be the appropriate forum for them to spill their story. Plus most scam victims aren't proud of falling for things so nobody is going to brag on here.

SoyMilk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2007
The West Side
Status
Medical Student
I just don't understand how some 250K dollar service could augment your chances of securing a residency position. Truly only the most foolish and uninformed regarding securing a US residency would subscribe to this service.

Anyone remember Stewart University? :laugh:

Oct 14, 2014
It's a scam beyond a reasonable doubt. Any doubts you seem to have are unreasonable.
Part of the reason you aren't going to ever find concrete examples are that the number of people both dumb enough and rich enough to fall for this are few, and perhaps don't frequent SDN. Plus there are likely legal reasons that this wouldn't be the appropriate forum for them to spill their story. Plus most scam victims aren't proud of falling for things so nobody is going to brag on here.
I just don't understand how some 250K dollar service could augment your chances of securing a residency position. Truly only the most foolish and uninformed regarding securing a US residency would subscribe to this service.

Anyone remember Stewart University? :laugh:
This information was outdated, exaggerated and based on FALSE information. Fees were charged, but no ine in their right mind would pay the afforementioned fees.

Oct 14, 2014
Fees were nowhere that rediculous and were part of a smear campaign on The Late Dr. Edwin Everest and his business partner and Son Alexander Everest by an unknown source. I personally knew and know the Dr's Everest and as of Today most allegations were proven false, especially the fee. I felt compelled to defend by friends and colleague- past and presents honor. Thank you for allowing me to set the record straight. Check out update to ALLEGATIONS link by Rambo and GoodSamaritain10.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Fees were nowhere that rediculous and were part of a smear campaign on The Late Dr. Edwin Everest and his business partner and Son Alexander Everest by an unknown source. I personally knew and know the Dr's Everest and as of Today most allegations were proven false, especially the fee. I felt compelled to defend by friends and colleague- past and presents honor. Thank you for allowing me to set the record straight. Check out update to ALLEGATIONS link by Rambo and GoodSamaritain10.
Um, the fact that you are saying "most" allegations and not all allegations doesn't help your case. If someone says X is a Crook, and you say "that's mostly not true," are you really helping X's cause? Second, you never get to prove things false in our legal system. It's just a question of whether there's reasonable doubt. Most people not found guilty beyond reasonable doubt are still "probably" guilty ( a lower standard of proof). Thirdly its not clear what the motivations of the "unknown source" were. This was someone scammed out of money perhaps? Fourthly, you joined SDN today presumably for the express purpose of weighing in on this, a thread that has been quiet for several weeks and that no one was even paying attention to.. So you really lack much credibility. You don't think with big money at stake (however much you say it may be) there wouldn't be anonymous defenders on a board like this joining to promote and perpetrate the scam? There sure were for Stewart a Few years back -- we all remember Saul. If I were perpetrating a scam don't you think I'd also weigh in on an anonymous board and try to promote it as not a scam? That's free publicity and anonymous people can make whatever claims they want. So thanks for weighing in, but the appropriate weight to give your anonymous testimonial that "most" of the allegations are false is highly debatable. Nice try Alexander...

Last edited:

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I think things have changed for RMG since this thread was started.

As others have mentioned, Edwin Everest has died, I can;t find any details, presumably bringing any legal issues (against him) to a halt.

His son Dr. (Arthur) Michael Everest is now running the show. He has a PhD (hence the Dr). He seems to run California Vein Clinics, which I bet makes a hefty profit.

ResidentsMedical.com is a nifty looking site, seems to advertise helping IMG's buff their applications to get residency spots. They have a host of very legit appearing employees -- people to help with USMLE studying, etc. They also suggest that they can help institutions, perhaps with ACGME accreditation, but this is much more vague. Overall, the site looks like a very high end IMG help site (although I don't see any costs listed).

They appear to have created a foundation in Edwin's name: theeverestfoundation.org. This is much more confusing. Their website suggests that they help kids in Africa, both from the background image and some of the text at the bottom. But the main text is a bunch of meaningless drivel, and then they state that their main purpose is to research GME. Then there's this tidbit at the end: "The Edwin Everest Foundation exclusivly (sic) works with medical universities, residency programs, other research programs and foundations throughout the world. The Edwin Everest Foundation continually helps many residency programs in donating supplies, writing grants, unrestricted gifts and circumventing the bureaucracy of an institution by utilizing established relationships, assists in building universities internationally, and donates to religious institutions." These statements seem concerning -- "unrestricted gifts and circumventing bureaucracy" is suggestive of bribes or illegal payments. But it's all vague and meaningless.

But then there is this: https://news.usc.edu/47255/everest-foundation-fund-established-at-keck-school/ That's interesting. He donated $1mil to USC to create a fund to "support volunteer IMG postdoc trainees".

If you're the trusting sort, either he's really wealthy / his father really created a nice foundation and he just decided to do this out of altruism. If you wear a tin hat around to keep the NSA from snooping your brainwaves, then he's collecting large fees from IMG's, laundering the cash through the foundation, then "donating" the money to fund IMG postdoc positions, which then get given to the same people who paid the fees in the first place. Minus a cut, of course.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Black Adder, can I have your email address. I need your help.
You're responding to a 7+ year old thread.

Please don't ask users for their email; you can send them a private message here. @Black Adder last logged on in March of this year