Residentswap site psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Needtoswaptoo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked out residentswap. Why are there so many (29) psychiatry pgy1s looking to swap? Is this even possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the match can take people away from spouses and family and why not take a second shot at getting what you want? What I don't like is the assumption that the NMRP contract obligation is considered so easily reversed in the minds of PGY-Is if you find a reciprocal trade. Programs may or may not see a trade as in their best interest, and if they don't like it, are PGY-Is ready to threaten to quit if the trade isn't accepted? This points back to the #1 cardinal rule Don't rank a program you are unwilling to train at.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious about the programs people are wanting out of but definitely dont want to pay to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the match can take people away from spouses and family and why not take a second shot at getting what you want? What I don't like is the assumption that the NMRP contract obligation is considered so easily reversed in the minds of PGY-Is if you find a reciprocal trade. Programs may or may not see a trade as in their best interest, and if they don't like it, are PGY-Is ready to threaten to quit if the trade isn't accepted? This points back to the #1 cardinal rule Don't rank a program you are unwilling to train at.

I can see another practical limitation, or another reason programs might reject a swap: I recall that by this date 4 years ago, I had submitted all the paper work to the program for a training license, background check, and credentialing. The programs are taking care of all of this, and I can only imagine that they would not be willing to accommodate a swap, just for the inconvenience to them, and the risk of the swapper not having everything taken care of in time for the start of the residency, which in my case was mid June.

Reactions: 1 users
I can see another practical limitation, or another reason programs might reject a swap: I recall that by this date 4 years ago, I had submitted all the paper work to the program for a training license, background check, and credentialing. The programs are taking care of all of this, and I can only imagine that they would not be willing to accommodate a swap, just for the inconvenience to them, and the risk of the swapper not having everything taken care of in time for the start of the residency, which in my case was mid June.

Right so I am wondering if this site is a scam.

Right so I am wondering if this site is a scam.

Probably legit in that it is actual people who want to make swaps, but it is not an official or binding thing, and swapping spots would require the cooperation of the programs...and I seriously doubt that programs are willing to bother with that sort of thing during this crunch time of bringing on board the new folks, and ushering out the finishing residents. Plus, you always have the option or possibility of switching programs after the first year, and if I were a program director, that is what I would tell someone.

Reactions: 1 user