Resigning from post-doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjrp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a few months into a post- doc. I get a min wage stipend, and am due to finish in Sept. Any thoughts on how well/poorly it will look for me to resign in favor of a better role elsewhere? I have heard future employers might hold it against you as beach of contract. The employee handbook states resignees need to give 1 months notice, but the actual contract I signed does not mention anything about resignation; it only states my employment is conditional on my performance and funding.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, I would imagine most folks would frown upon it to some degree, unless the reason for leaving was sound. Leaving for greener pastures certainly isn't unusual, although it's more common with jobs than postdocs. It can also increase the amount of paperwork you'll need to complete when applying for licensure. Just be sure that if you do leave, you provide adequate notice; and realize that future employers may then also think, "what's to stop this person from leaving us if they feel like something better comes along?"

If it were me, unless an amazing opportunity came along, I'd probably stick it out rather than potentially burn those bridges. Although is this a formal or informal postdoc?

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with everything AA said. I'll also add that psychology is a fairly small world, especially if you're looking for jobs in the same specialty area as your postdoc. People talk, so if you do decide to leave, be very diplomatic about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you aware of the stipend amount before you accepted the position?

It could be a big pain in the butt for licensure. You have to get all post doc supervisors to sign off on your hours and if you left suddenly they may not be too motivated to do so expeditiously.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone. I am concerned about burning bridges, which is why I don't want to make a hasty decision. Your suggestions are really helpful. To respond to some of the questions:
@AA: By formal, if you mean accredited by APA/ APPIC/ similar, then no, it isn't accredited.
@psych.meout: Yes, I was aware of it of the stipend beforehand. Unfortunately I did not have any other offers in hand at the time, and was worried about finding something soon enough, so I accepted it.

Well, accredited would be one way to define formal, yep. But mostly I was wondering if it's one that the organization advertises for, if they participate in the match, if they have formal resources devoted to it (e.g., regular didactics), etc. If so, leaving early could be particularly disruptive, as they've devoted a good bit of time and energy into you/the position, and will be out of luck until the next match cycle. If not, it may be less disruptive, but I'd still be wary of leaving, especially if the folks you're working with are well-entrenched in your area and you plan on sticking around that area. Could also see if prior folks in the position have left early; if it happens frequently, it may not be as big a deal.

Too much nuance in these situations for us to really know. I'd worry less than it seems like other posters do, but I'm entrenched in the academic world. Leaving post-docs early to start academic jobs is par for the course and a post-doc leaving to accept a faculty job is often viewed as a good thing even if somewhat disruptive. If it is in any way possible, I would give them the one month notice. If you can delay longer and want to do so, see if the other job will wait for you to finish out your contract.

I think a lot depends on what the other job happens to be. If this is an "I found another post-doc next door that pays me $50/month more to do the same thing" I wouldn't risk it. If this is "I got offered a permanent position in my dream setting" then I'd find a way to make it work. Its important not to burn bridges, but I think its equally important not to let fantastic opportunities pass by because you are worried you MIGHT burn bridges. A "meh, I guess its a little better" opportunity, that's another matter.

Read it carefully, but don't let the contract hold you up. I am not a lawyer, but it seems like these are rarely binding on either party. You can almost always be terminated before the contract is up if the company wants to do so (many try like heck to avoid it just because they don't want that reputation) and I'm not aware of ANY situation in which a contract would bind you to continue working for someone if you don't want to do so. They can withhold bonuses and that kind of stuff, but they can't make you stay.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks both.
@AcronymAllergy No it doesn't participate in the match, as far as I know. My post was advertised on a generic jobs website, because extra funding became available- how long it'll continue to be available is under question. They do however offer regular didactics and supervision to meet licensure requirements.

@Ollie123 thanks for a differing view point. The other option is a permanent post offering more than twice my current pay and somewhere I can definitely see myself for at least the next few years. My current contract is almost an "at will" for the employer to terminate my role.

Last edited:
Thanks both.
@AcronymAllergy No it doesn't participate in the match, as far as I know. My post was advertised on a generic jobs website, because extra funding became available- how long it'll continue to be available is under question. They do however offer regular didactics and supervision to meet licensure requirements.

@Ollie123 thanks for a differing view point. The other option is a permanent post offering more than twice my current pay and somewhere I can definitely see myself for at least the next few years. My current contract is almost an "at will" for the employer to terminate my role.

TWICE your current pay? at the postdoc level? does the new position still give you the supervision required to pursue licensure? If so, and it's a more likely long-term option, I wouldn't stay at the current place out of a desire not to burn bridges. Any legit site that trains postdocs would (I would hope!) be understanding of a job with more permanence than what you currently have, as long as you give enough notice. If they are the kind of place to freak out about it, well, that says something about them and the work environment. Not to say you shouldn't still be concerned about being respectful, proceeding cautiously, taking into account specifics of the local environment and the relationships people at your current site have with others in the field, but it definitely sounds like the new position would be a huge improvement compared to where you are now, and it's hard for me to picture a site holding such a move against you for long.

I know multiple people who left postdoc early for a permanent position, one for another postdoc. So far, no one seems to regret it. That's anecdotal data, but hey. Also, your current position sounds financially unawesome and the new offer sounds pretty good.

I left a post doc early for a job. I think there is a lot of nuance in each situation, as another poster mentioned, so it's hard to give advice. I had to leave mine and I don't particularly regret it, but at the same time it would have been nice to finish.

Thanks all. Yes, the pay is actually much better and for a permanent position, with supervision for licensure. I agree previous comments about still being respectful and giving enough notice, which I totally plan to do if I do decide to leave.

Sounds like leaving might then be worthwhile. As you've said, the big things would be providing notice, ensuring the new site is able/willing to provide necessary superivision, and double-checking the licensing reqs to see if there's anything else you'll need to consider. If the state board has supervisor attestation forms, you may even want to see if you can have folks at the current site fill those out for your time there before you leave. It's almost always easier to request those sorts of things in person vs. electronically.

Which job is going to pay you what you are worth after you are licensed? Because you might be looking for another job in September anyway. I used 40k as minimum target for postdoc and 80k as minimum for first job as a licensed psychologist. In this competitive and long training sometimes it is hard to shift from the student mindset of gratitude that they are just letting us work at all.