Resigning from USUHS/HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DL857

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with prior service resigned from USUHS or med school with HPSP and returned to active duty in your previous job/branch? Just wondering how resigning and assignment back to active duty typically goes??

Members don't see this ad.

Second hand story: A former Navy helicopter pilot was failing out. He figured he would just go back to his old rank and be a pilot again. However, having resigned from the line, not current in any aircraft and not really in a regular year group, they did not take him back. Meanwhile the Navy wanted their due from him for his time at USUHS. He was put in the medical service corps at O-3 with some years of service, but not his previous amount, to pay back few years. I do not know what the final outcome was, but it wasn't what he expected, that is for sure.

Moral of the story: don't go to USUHS expecting that if you fail you will just go back to what you were doing. Going to USUHS after a significant line career can be a gamble in that you are heavily vested in the retirement and if you don't hack at it medical school you may not get that retirement. Basically, don't fail or resign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second hand story: A former Navy helicopter pilot was failing out. He figured he would just go back to his old rank and be a pilot again. However, having resigned from the line, not current in any aircraft and not really in a regular year group, they did not take him back. Meanwhile the Navy wanted their due from him for his time at USUHS. He was put in the medical service corps at O-3 with some years of service, but not his previous amount, to pay back few years. I do not know what the final outcome was, but it wasn't what he expected, that is for sure.

Moral of the story: don't go to USUHS expecting that if you fail you will just go back to what you were doing. Going to USUHS after a significant line career can be a gamble in that you are heavily vested in the retirement and if you don't hack at it medical school you may not get that retirement. Basically, don't fail or resign.
ouch......"they can always hurt you more"

There was a former naval academy midshipman on my ship who got in some kind of trouble. He wasn't very happy as a deck ape.

Reactions: 1 user
I knew a former aviator who essentially flunked out (his personal issues and alcoholism didn't help). He tried to go back to his old community, and they wouldn't have him. I heard through the grapevine that he tried to do any other officer job and even tried to enlist - no joy. (He was also HSCP, which I think complicated matters). He's a civilian now. Not sure how he worked out the payback.