Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Resist temptation or satisfy curiousity?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BSEMD, Dec 10, 2005.

1. BSEMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm having a bit of difficulty making a decision...though I'd see how other people would handle my situation:

I was told yesterday by the admissions office of my #1 school that a decision had been made...in fact, the letter had been written, but had not been sent because the letter had not been signed yet (by who, I don't know). I was told that the letter would be signed and mailed, and that I would receive an email either yesterday or today(this is not standard procedure, but something offered by the person that I was speaking with). I don't know what the subject of the letter OR the email is (acceptance, rejection, waitlist, or hold). This contact in the admissions office also provided her cell phone number for me to use in case I couldn't reach her at her desk.

Here's my dilemma...I don't think that I will be able to sleep, eat, study, or otherwise function, until I know what this school's decision is...I GOTTA KNOW!!!

Do I:
    1) call this contact on the weekend, knowing that she's at home with her family
    2) wait it out by the mailbox

What would you do?
    What would Brian Boitano do?
    WHAT SHOULD I DO???????????

2. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Chill.... out.... Don't call people on their cell phone to ask questions like this.. geesh, can you imagine if all 7,000 applicants did that!

3. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I know Brian Boitano's brother (No, really, I do. His name is Mark.) and you should wait. It's a time honoured tradition. Don't break it. There's something satisfying about waiting for a letter. And when you get in, it will be that much sweeter to hold an affirmation of your accomplishments in your own hands. (Unless you don't have hands, then you should call.)

4. freshity

freshity Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think i would wait. unless she told you specifically to call her cell if you "felt like you couldn't wait", i don't think she'd be expecting your call. and while this is very important for you, it's really not all that important for her. she goes through this admissions process every year and talks with hundreds of applicants. i say, let her enjoy her weekend without any work interruptions. that would be the right thing to do, i think.

sounds like you'll be finding out soon, either by e-mail or mail, so try not to get too anxious. good luck!

5. BSEMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, I'll stay the course and chill the frig out...but dang it! I'd love to know :states the obvious:

6. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hmm.. now that I think about it, are you sure she isn't trying to get you to ask her out? I mean, it is a bit unusual to give out a cell number to an applicant.

7. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

It seems like the number was given for you to use when she would be at her desk

8. Napoleon4000

Napoleon4000 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    My advice...[B]just sit tight[/B]. Go read a nice book or watch a movie. But please, sit tight. It will reflect better on your personality. :oops:

9. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    Go watch Narnia, I hear it's pretty good

10. little_late_MD

little_late_MD Ready To Jump
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If she gave you her cell phone number, it's obvious that she is into you. You should call her, and see what she's doing this weekend. You're a stud. I've never gotten a girls cell without first actually having met her :laugh:

11. BSEMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NICE!!! Unfortunately, she's (ahem) not my type. And besides, she gave everyone who interviewed that day her cell # (in case we got lost on the campus, we could call for directions). Before my second interview (while we were separated from the rest of the applicants), she told me that I could use it to contact her in case I hadn't heard anything by mail by the end of this week (I don't know if she gave the same permission to all applicants).

Here's to sitting at home, drinking and waiting!

12. SpiderMD

SpiderMD Susie Bad Girl
    5+ Year Member

Bengland,
    :laugh: :laugh: I'm cracking up because I know the admissions member that you're referring to!! Hahahaha. Just sit tight and wait like the rest of us who were reviewed Dec 2nd. Good luck!

13. BSEMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks, I knew that someone else knew who I was talking about!

14. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with everyone else. You risk nothing by waiting...other than your sanity. :D Serioulsy though, the safe thing is just to maintain yourself! If I were you, I'd call her after I got in to try to hook up (if she were cute). :p

15. BSEMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :D :D :D AHHHH...thanks to all who replied...it was worth the wait! I found out today that I got in!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

16. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cool - So I guess now, per Messerschmitts advice, you should call her to hook up. Congrats.

17. IDforMe

IDforMe Not recovered...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :hardy: :hardy: :clap: :clap:
    CONGRATS!!!
    (Now you need to ask yourself, "What would Jimmy Buffet do?") ;)

18. Napoleon4000

Napoleon4000 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Nice job! You are going to be a doctor.

:hardy: :clap: :wow: :hardy: :clap:

19. Risa

Risa like Lisa with an R
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Congrats!!! :hardy:

20. BSEMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks everyone! There's been many a night where I didn't think that I would get in. Thanks to the people on SDN, I kept going forward, and now I'm going to be a doc!