Resist temptation or satisfy curiousity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSEMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of difficulty making a decision...though I'd see how other people would handle my situation:

I was told yesterday by the admissions office of my #1 school that a decision had been made...in fact, the letter had been written, but had not been sent because the letter had not been signed yet (by who, I don't know). I was told that the letter would be signed and mailed, and that I would receive an email either yesterday or today(this is not standard procedure, but something offered by the person that I was speaking with). I don't know what the subject of the letter OR the email is (acceptance, rejection, waitlist, or hold). This contact in the admissions office also provided her cell phone number for me to use in case I couldn't reach her at her desk.

Here's my dilemma...I don't think that I will be able to sleep, eat, study, or otherwise function, until I know what this school's decision is...I GOTTA KNOW!!!

Do I:
1) call this contact on the weekend, knowing that she's at home with her family
2) wait it out by the mailbox

What would you do?
What would Brian Boitano do?
WHAT SHOULD I DO???????????

Members don't see this ad.

Chill.... out.... Don't call people on their cell phone to ask questions like this.. geesh, can you imagine if all 7,000 applicants did that!

I know Brian Boitano's brother (No, really, I do. His name is Mark.) and you should wait. It's a time honoured tradition. Don't break it. There's something satisfying about waiting for a letter. And when you get in, it will be that much sweeter to hold an affirmation of your accomplishments in your own hands. (Unless you don't have hands, then you should call.)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i would wait. unless she told you specifically to call her cell if you "felt like you couldn't wait", i don't think she'd be expecting your call. and while this is very important for you, it's really not all that important for her. she goes through this admissions process every year and talks with hundreds of applicants. i say, let her enjoy her weekend without any work interruptions. that would be the right thing to do, i think.

sounds like you'll be finding out soon, either by e-mail or mail, so try not to get too anxious. good luck!

Ok, I'll stay the course and chill the frig out...but dang it! I'd love to know :states the obvious:

hmm.. now that I think about it, are you sure she isn't trying to get you to ask her out? I mean, it is a bit unusual to give out a cell number to an applicant.

bengland said:
This contact in the admissions office also provided her cell phone number for me to use in case I couldn't reach her at her desk.

It seems like the number was given for you to use when she would be at her desk

My advice...[B]just sit tight[/B]. Go read a nice book or watch a movie. But please, sit tight. It will reflect better on your personality. :oops:

Go watch Narnia, I hear it's pretty good

If she gave you her cell phone number, it's obvious that she is into you. You should call her, and see what she's doing this weekend. You're a stud. I've never gotten a girls cell without first actually having met her :laugh:

little_late_MD said:
If she gave you her cell phone number, it's obvious that she is into you. You should call her, and see what she's doing this weekend. You're a stud. I've never gotten a girls cell without first actually having met her :laugh:

NICE!!! Unfortunately, she's (ahem) not my type. And besides, she gave everyone who interviewed that day her cell # (in case we got lost on the campus, we could call for directions). Before my second interview (while we were separated from the rest of the applicants), she told me that I could use it to contact her in case I hadn't heard anything by mail by the end of this week (I don't know if she gave the same permission to all applicants).

Here's to sitting at home, drinking and waiting!

bengland said:
NICE!!! Unfortunately, she's (ahem) not my type. And besides, she gave everyone who interviewed that day her cell # (in case we got lost on the campus, we could call for directions). Before my second interview (while we were separated from the rest of the applicants), she told me that I could use it to contact her in case I hadn't heard anything by mail by the end of this week (I don't know if she gave the same permission to all applicants).

Here's to sitting at home, drinking and waiting!

Bengland,
:laugh: :laugh: I'm cracking up because I know the admissions member that you're referring to!! Hahahaha. Just sit tight and wait like the rest of us who were reviewed Dec 2nd. Good luck!

SpiderMD said:
Bengland,
:laugh: :laugh: I'm cracking up because I know the admissions member that you're referring to!! Hahahaha. Just sit tight and wait like the rest of us who were reviewed Dec 2nd. Good luck!

Thanks, I knew that someone else knew who I was talking about!

I agree with everyone else. You risk nothing by waiting...other than your sanity. :D Serioulsy though, the safe thing is just to maintain yourself! If I were you, I'd call her after I got in to try to hook up (if she were cute). :p

:D :D :D AHHHH...thanks to all who replied...it was worth the wait! I found out today that I got in!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

bengland said:
:D AHHHH...thanks to all who replied...it was worth the wait! I found out today that I got in!!!!!!!!! :D

:hardy: :hardy: :clap: :clap:
CONGRATS!!!
(Now you need to ask yourself, "What would Jimmy Buffet do?") ;)

Nice job! You are going to be a doctor.

:hardy: :clap: :wow: :hardy: :clap:

bengland said:
:D :D :D AHHHH...thanks to all who replied...it was worth the wait! I found out today that I got in!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Congrats!!! :hardy:

Thanks everyone! There's been many a night where I didn't think that I would get in. Thanks to the people on SDN, I kept going forward, and now I'm going to be a doc!