Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

resistance and temp

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by twesting2173, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twesting2173

twesting2173 Senior Member

does resistance of a resistor increase or decrease with an increase in temp?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. holla

holla Junior Member

it increases

4. Khiladi

Khiladi Member

to add to the above:

Resistance also decreases if you add resistors in parallel because you are increasing the cross sec area.

If you add them in series resistance increases.

I wish we get a circuit passage:D

5. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

It usually increases.

There are some materials, for which it decreases. It depen ds of a coefficient, called "alpha" (okay, abreviated alpha, i don't remember the constant name, it's some sort of t emperature coeff I think).

Sonya

6. Jonkst

Jonkst Senior Member

I know that resistance increases, but does anyone know why? I mean, there should be more electrons in the conduction band, especially for a semiconductor...

7. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    This website states it more eloquantly than I can:
    http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/~tw/sc/b.html
    "Metals:In a metal, the valence electrons are thought of as being shared by all the positive ions. Therefore, the electrons are free to move throughout the crystalline lattice. The electrons move randomly throughout the crystal, until an electric field is applied to the material. Then the electric field forces the electrons to move in a direction opposite to the field. Actually, the electrons still move somewhat randomly, but with a superimposed "drift". This produces current. As the temperature increases, the positive ions in the crystal vibrate more, and more collisions occur between the valence electrons and the vibrating ions. These collisions hinder the "drift" motion of the valence electrons, thus reducing the current. In summary, for a metal, an increase in temperature causes an increase in resistance."

8. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

hmm, this might be repeating what neuronix quoted..

But here's what i'd assume the reason:

Resistance is caused by electrons hitting the particles (atoms). At a higher temperature, the atoms are moving about more, so they will collide with the electrons more, thus creating a higher resistance.

Sonya

9. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

slectrons smash together to move through a think wire. They keep bumping into each other generating heat. The higher the temperature, the lower conductuctivty is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.