Resolution 42 Pediatrics Substitutions- anyone dealt with this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cornell08

PhillyGuy08
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm a PA resident who matched into an ACGME program in VA. I emailed my program asking about getting Resolution 42 status and what I had to do. I had heard along the trail that it was not hard to do. I asked my program and they said I had to do IM, GYN, and Surgery eating up all of my first year electives. This is what the guidelines say but I know it is a lot less stringent than that in application. So I called the AOA and this is what they said but I still did have a question and wanted to hear how people dealt with this.

1) IM can be filled with a Peds IM sub-specialty (some acgme programs are at free-standing children's hospital so this makes sense b/c they don't have IM, GYN, or Surgery). So I could do Peds GI, Peds Endo, etc.
2) Women's Health can be filled by adolescent medicine.
3) Surgery I'm still not sure about. The woman I spoke to said Peds Surgery would definitely count and EM or other rotations might count as well. But I wanted to know if anyone else substituted anything else for Surgery?

Anything else I need to know about being a DO in an ACGME Pediatrics program trying to fulfill this resolution?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do a Peds neuro rotation. My understanding is that how those docs are trained they can see adults so it can technically count. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a better suggestion. Ignore the TRI requirement. You should spend your elective time preparing to take care of sick kids.

After you finish your residency get licensed in the state that gives you the best job opportunities. After that send a letter to the Governor of Pennsylvania and every member of the Pennsylvania Legislature. Tell those nitwits you'd love to help them remedy the Pennsylvania physician shortage but their stupid law stands in your way. This TRI lunacy is just another effort to keep people from practicing medicine. The politicians need to understand that this law keeps their constituents from seeing a physician. This is the only way this law will get repealed.

You should also ask yourself why you need to practice in Pennsylvania. It's a malpractice hell hole. The compensation isn't that good. Furthermore, you don't owe Pennsylvania much. The State of Pennsylvania offers very little support to medical education. Because you matched at an ACGME program I'd bet you had pretty good stats as a medical school applicant. If you had been a resident of Ohio, Michigan or West Virginia, you probably would have been accepted at a cheaper and perhaps allopathic school. Good luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Obnoxious Dad,
I agree with almost everything you say and when I have my DO and have all my boards finished I can be more of a squeaky wheel and raise hell. This is all about power and trying to maintain a distinction between DOs and MDs that doesn't benefit patients or the physicians themselves.

With that being said, I know there is very little that ACTUALLY needs to be done as a DO in an ACGME program to get my requirements fulfilled. So if anyone can tell me about their experience with this resolution and how they went worked their way through the requirement I'd appreciate it.

Jon, definitely planning on doing a Peds Neuro rotation during my residency.

I am a native Pennsylvanian that went to WVSOM and got approved for Res 42 at an Ohio ACGME peds program. I specifically sought out peds residencies that are familiar with the process and had other grads approved.

I didn't have to swap any rotations. The peds version of EM and Surgery count for those reqs. We did adolescent and neuro, but also had some other subspecialty months. I presume that those counted for the women's health and IM months. You don't have to actually label anything on the application, so I just submitted a transcript and the AOA people filled in what applied.

The only additional things I needed to do were maintain AOA membership and give my co-residents a presentation about OMT during our noon lecture series and submit it with the application. I had my approval letter and email within 2 weeks.