Salt Salt

5+ Year Member
May 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'm attending a conference next month in a tropical location and the dress code is "resort casual." The organization is professional but also seems to have a relaxed culture, so I'm trying to figure out what the heck "resort casual" means for a man. I figured I'd ask SDN as I nearly always get these things wrong when I try to just Google it.

Thanks!

SurfingDoctor

"Hooray, I'm useful"
10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Having a wonderful time on Omicron Persei 8
Status
Attending Physician
I would interpret that as a short sleeve collared shirt and slacks. Alternatively, if you know someone else going, ask them what they are wearing, just so you don't wear a suit and tie and everyone else is wearing Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirts.

Last edited:

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I'm attending a conference next month in a tropical location and the dress code is "resort casual." The organization is professional but also seems to have a relaxed culture, so I'm trying to figure out what the heck "resort casual" means for a man. I figured I'd ask SDN as I nearly always get these things wrong when I try to just Google it.

Thanks!
Usually this means slightly more comfortable clothes, in brighter colors and prints than you would expect at a work conference.

If you're a woman, think Lilly Pulitzer. If you're a guy, think Tommy Bahama.

It's still for work, so not too much skin, no shorts, no flip flops (unless they're dressy ones for women), no plunging necklines, etc.

Don't feel bad - I went to a conference last year that specified "resort casual" and I also had to Google it. I'd never heard that before, but I guess it makes sense for a conference being held in Boca Raton.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

Thanks!
I just realized you're a guy. If so, you can't go wrong with a brightly colored short-sleeved guayabera (Cuban button up shirt, usually made out of linen or thin cotton) and khakis.

The Knife & Gun Club

MS - 4
2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hollywood Upstairs Medical College
Status
Medical Student
I'm a fan of the untucked thin white button up with rolled sleeves and khaki pants + casual leather shoes (like a boat shoe).

I've never been to a tropical conference though, that's just my general interpretation of resort casual.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
AMA has their November meeting in Hawaii every ~5 years. Half of the older delegates show up in Hawaiian shirts ("aloha attire") for at least 1-2 days of it. It's pretty amusing.