Resources for Long Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knope321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm an MS1 with a long commute (~40min each way door to door). I'm wondering what the best way to use this time is. For awhile I was pulling up class lectures in my car and listening on my laptop. I recently switched to osmosis, but sometimes feel like their stuff is superficial and not that great if you can't actually watch the videos. I found sketchy was pretty useless while driving too.

I'm wondering if there are any other long commuters who have had to do this and if they have any advice! Do you think it would be beneficial to start listening to Goljan or stick to class lectures for now?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

goljan. rethink your living situation.

Reactions: 6 users
MS1 is tough. There’s a lot more out there for MS3 and beyond that’s good for commuting.

Goljan might be your best bet. Also can record your own voice and make audio flash cards. Basically read Anki type flash cards to yourself and scream the answers in the car Li Yang Crazy English style. Lots of other great stuff...White Coat Investor, NPR, audiobooks, Joe Rogan, FOAMcast, Hardcore History, Slate Gabfest, Etc. Comey’s book is gonna be a treat. I’d prioritize than over Papi any day.

Members don't see this ad :)
The beauty of the 35-40 minute commute (it's what I do too) is it's the perfect length to make listening to most podcasts impossible.

Reactions: 3 users
The beauty of the 35-40 minute commute (it's what I do too) is it's the perfect length to make listening to most podcasts impossible.
99% invisible
Sawbones
More Perfect

My commute was similar to yours (and perhaps a bit longer at times). Podcasts and new music were what I used that time for.

I stuck with that commute for all four years because I enjoy driving and there usually wasn't that much traffic to bother me.

I've had long commutes the majority of my college career (60+ minutes), but mostly undergrad.

The worst part of commuting is that you can't stay up quite as late the night before an exam studying because you will be too tired to drive in the morning.

I was never really able to make great use of the commuting time in terms of being productive, but I found music and some radio shows relaxing.

There was one semester where I was waking up at around 4:45 am.

I've had long commutes the majority of my college career (60+ minutes), but mostly undergrad.

The worst part of commuting is that you can't stay up quite as late the night before an exam studying because you will be too tired to drive in the morning.

I was never really able to make great use of the commuting time in terms of being productive, but I found music and some radio shows relaxing.

There was one semester where I was waking up at around 4:45 am.
audible. I love it for long road trips as well since you can learn something while doing something nonproductive.

Reactions: 1 user
Second Libertyyne's audible suggestion. Personally, I would not be able to deal with listening to medicine lectures for 40 minutes before going to class. But if you want it to be productive in terms of the medical field, there are loads of great non-fiction books out there, from medical narratives to scientific memoirs that are riveting.
Also, if you don't want to pay for an audible subscription, most public libraries nowadays are associated with Overdrive, which allows you to borrow audiobooks for a couple of weeks. Basically, it's the library for audiobooks--and it's completely free!

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with above. There aren't great resources for an M1. So it's a good time to branch out and learn a little about finance, economics - things that medical students lack knowledge in, and will not be taught.