Resources for Neuro Block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedNation907

Chasing Awesome-ness
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
BRS Neuroanatomy? Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple? These are two I've heard good things about but Idk if I should spend money on a resource. Any suggestions? I have Robbins + Pathoma.

Members don't see this ad.

Right, I would love to be informed of good resources for neuro.

Suggestions I've gotten:
--If you're struggling with neuro, Made Ridiculously Simple is great. I can personally vouch for it. It's not enough to rock neuro, but it's almost enough to pass, and if you're having a hard time, it's a solid base.
--Rapid Review Neuro if you have a solid base but are looking for more detail in a manageable format

My school uses "Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases", and I find the cases at the end of each chapter really helpful for putting it all together. The text itself is all right but in some chapters I get bogged down in the details (thus the MRS recommendation).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NAJEEB!!!!!!!! Absolutely destroyed neuro because of that guy. Watch the video prior to doing the lecture because he will be a build framework of what is happening that you can then put details on. His videos are long and tedious but you come out of it having a firm grasp of what is going on in the most basic sense then you can use lectures to deal with the rest.

edit: watch his video as if it were a lecture and take notes out of it or do the drawings that he is doing. Don't just watch it to get your feet wet for the lecture

Reactions: 3 users
NAJEEB!!!!!!!! Absolutely destroyed neuro because of that guy. Watch the video prior to doing the lecture because he will be a build framework of what is happening that you can then put details on. His videos are long and tedious but you come out of it having a firm grasp of what is going on in the most basic sense then you can use lectures to deal with the rest.

edit: watch his video as if it were a lecture and take notes out of it or do the drawings that he is doing. Don't just watch it to get your feet wet for the lecture

It's funny you suggested Najeeb b/c a classmate just shared sample videos of his neuro lectures. I'll likely try them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Good luck guys...that's all I can say!
QelDNW

Reactions: 1 user
It's funny you suggested Najeeb b/c a classmate just shared sample videos of his neuro lectures. I'll likely try them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Watch his ascending and descending tracts and basal ganglia for sure. Makes "where is the lesion" game easy

Watch his ascending and descending tracts and basal ganglia for sure. Makes "where is the lesion" game easy

Nice yeah I will. I used BRS for my foundation in this area, it served me well but a visual presentation would drive it home.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone listened to Goljan's lectures? Are there other lectures beneficial for Neuro block other than CNS-6 Special Senses?
That lecture seems to be cut short, almost mid-sentence when he's talking about Alzheimer's but I don't see a Part II in the file downloads that I found.
Am I missing some? Or does it continue in like Neoplasia lectures? I'm confused

I am using USMLE Roadmap neuroscience. Doing pretty descently because of it. (top 30% of my class). However, it is a DENSE read. I was doing najeeb, but found that I really just do not have time for it. It takes way too long.

There is a free Neuroscience course on "Coursera" thats written by a scientist at DUKE. Its a series of quick videos. The Neuroanatomy offered/taught by him for free is the best resource I have ever found. You can do just a small amount, or the whole course for free. My friend said it can sometimes be found online to download for free as a whole package which I would not normally suggest, but the content is available for free already and its just given in a different concise downloadable format. The Coursera website format is great though which is what I used, and has a series of streaming videos on there. Definitely check it out, unless its past the time the resources were needed for you.

Najeeb is the man. Also, www.boardsbeyond.com. I watched one sample video on youtube and then went ahead and paid for a subscription because it is so good, and I expect to use it for other systems as well. it was $150 for a year subscription, but these videos are money. Concise videos that cover test relevant points. There is a sample video on youtube that absolutely carried me through my exam, regarding localization of lesion to brainstem region.

I did not take neuroanatomy in undergrad so I was worried about how difficult neuro could be, but I'm glad I managed to do very well. I mainly used BRS and Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple. I loved using Pathoma for the pathology portion because it focused on the high yield content for boards as well as using "buzz words" for each disease.

Our school also offered the textbook, Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases, but I never read it. I tried using Najeeb, but his lectures were too slow for me. However, my several of my classmates loved him!

This is a good site for brainstem slices http://www.dartmouth.edu/~rswenson/Atlas/BrainStem/index.html

This site is good for gross brain slices http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/HISTHTML/NEURANAT/NEURANCA.html#4