Resources for Out of Work RPHs and New Graduates June 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to support our colleagues who need help in these difficult times.
Please add additional links as you see fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this like that " safe place " thread from few years ago? Pharmacists are such patronizing trolls.

Reactions: 5 users
What? Surprised no one suggested seeking arrangement!

I know I am not alone here in feeling like s*** on almost a daily basis due to the state of our career. Maybe we should truly be more helpful instead of making so many jokes. And trust me - I am no prude or tight wad - I love bulls***.. Just not about this... At this point I have had enough.

Here are some great options which I have come up with for myself which help make me feel a little better - and it’s not to work at McDonald’s or visit the food bank...

- Nursing home administration.... Look into it. This is right up our alley and pays well.

- If you have strong leadership skills, look into various large businesses in the area which are looking for middle/upper managers. I looked into this myself when Amazon came to town. I talked to one of their recruiters. They essentially told me, “we need good managers. We will teach you what you need to know it you are confident that you can manage a team.” I was not offered 100k but it was close.

- It’s time to start considering other options. Figure it out

Reactions: 10 users
I know I am not alone here in feeling like s*** on almost a daily basis due to the state of our career. Maybe we should truly be more helpful instead of making so many jokes. And trust me - I am no prude or tight wad - I love bulls***.. Just not about this... At this point I have had enough.

Here are some great options which I have come up with for myself which help make me feel a little better - and it’s not to work at McDonald’s or visit the food bank...

- Nursing home administration.... Look into it. This is right up our alley and pays well.

- If you have strong leadership skills, look into various large businesses in the area which are looking for middle/upper managers. I looked into this myself when Amazon came to town. I talked to one of their recruiters. They essentially told me, “we need good managers. We will teach you what you need to know it you are confident that you can manage a team.” I was not offered 100k but it was close.

That may be possible for pharmacy managers out of work. I think new grads should probably pursue coding and computer programming. I agree enough of the negative comments. Let’s add something positive for a change

I thought about getting a consulting pharmacy liscense and apply to LTC and a nuclear pharmacy license to apply for nuclear pharmacy jobs if I cannot even get CVS or Walgreens floater jobs

McDonald’s is not always doom gloom. Neither is Starbucks. You can work your way up corporate and then become a franchise owner.

McDonald’s is not always doom gloom. Neither is Starbucks. You can work your way up corporate and then become a franchise owner.

Absolutely! I have said many times to people - if I was to end up working at McDonald’s, it may start off bad... But within a years time I would be a regional manager and continuing to work upward.

There is a lot of money to make at places like Starbucks and McDonald’s. You just have to know how to network in your company and apply for promotion at the right times.

Some words of encouragement. A teenager from an uneducated family in Malawi managed to build a windmill to help his village grow crops using a motor from a bike, the bike itself, and pieces of treasure found in a garbage pile. This person had a substandard education in a third world country living on pay check to pay check and his family was even below minimum wage.

1600906430524.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dont donate plasma sell it.I did it a couple of times while in school.Easy money

^^^ Currently doing this now. Between myself and wife, we bring in $820 a month purely on giving plasma.

For someone trying to stay afloat, that's at least a mortgage payment.

Roofers and other such are screaming for help....I can hear it..."I didn't go to school....." etc. THE IDEA is to learn the trade ( which BTW can be fairly complicated...materials estimates..payroll..safety))and become the boss man...Mentioning safety..THAT can be a hopping career..but not in pharmacy where it's all talk from the top..

The purpose of this thread is to support our colleagues who need help in these difficult times.
Please add additional links as you see fit.

I don’t recommend teaching in Bmore. Try Silver Spring or some of the other counties or Fairfax. But all the good teaching jobs.......those teachers aren’t leaving.

I actually wouldn’t recommend teaching period, unless you manage to get a teaching job on a military base through the government ( won’t need to worry much about behavior problems lol)

But in any case, teachers have many more problems, you work harder than a pharmacist, take work home etc. and in many places they have taken away or cut back on benefits and tenure.

In my area teachers are diving for cover the minute they can retire...Just a few problem children..who draw their problem parents..grandparents..uncles etc..can ruin your day, week, year, career.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t recommend teaching in Bmore. Try Silver Spring or some of the other counties or Fairfax. But all the good teaching jobs.......those teachers aren’t leaving.

I actually wouldn’t recommend teaching period, unless you manage to get a teaching job on a military base through the government ( won’t need to worry much about behavior problems lol)

But in any case, teachers have many more problems, you work harder than a pharmacist, take work home etc. and in many places they have taken away or cut back on benefits and tenure.

I imagine I could make a difference!!

In my area teachers are diving for cover the minute they can retire...Just a few problem children..who draw their problem parents..grandparents..uncles etc..can ruin your day, week, year, career.
I wonder if new grads can be tutors for RxPrep. Or create a tutoring service for NAPLEX.

I wonder if new grads can be tutors for RxPrep. Or create a tutoring service for NAPLEX.
On Facebook page I have seen unemployed pharmacist doing tutoring for naplex and CPJE. My friend contacted this people and they charge 85/ hour. Lol making California pharmacist salary by working from comfort of their own home.

On Facebook page I have seen unemployed pharmacist doing tutoring for naplex and CPJE. My friend contacted this people and they charge 85/ hour. Lol making California pharmacist salary by working from comfort of their own home.
$85/hr is reasonable in California. Nurse get paid $75/hr in Cali.

$85/hr is reasonable in California. Nurse get paid $75/hr in Cali.
Yeah I had no idea nurse made that much. I wish I was interested in nursing. But after going through pharmacy school rotations in hospital, it made sense why it was better to not to nursing for me.

Yeah I had no idea nurse made that much. I wish I was interested in nursing. But after going through pharmacy school rotations in hospital, it made sense why it was better to not to nursing for me.
Nurses take a beating in a lot of venues..esp. now..The hours honk obviously....It wore out my Mom....(doctoring wore out my Uncle)...My other Uncle had it better as a dentist....My Aunt and two Cousins bailed on the wards into instructing...

Has any pharmacist here tried getting into tech industry? How did you guys make such transition?

Shouldn’t USAjobs.gov have pharm job postings? Plenty of VA, military, IHS needs I would assume?

No one is possibly paying that for tutoring
You would be surprised but lot of California kids got tutoring from this person to pass CPJE. In my view, it’s not worth paying for it with current job market and pay.

Shouldn’t USAjobs.gov have pharm job postings? Plenty of VA, military, IHS needs I would assume?

No. I heard the military isn't taking anymore pharmacists.

No. I heard the military isn't taking anymore pharmacists.

Aren’t these legit?
Although for the VA it seems some positions are offered internal only and not open to public