Resources for Starting New Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blockstar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am currently in an ACGME accredited fellowship debating on whether or not to start my own practice or go work for a hospital. I know people that can make a ton of money working for a hospital seeing 80 patients a day but it sounds like backbreaking labor. I like the freedom and autonomy of working for myself. I have searched through the forum and read some articles. Any resources/books/editorials you guys recommend for starting a new practice?

So far what I have gathered is to write up a business plan, do some market research and do face to face marketing. I think my big concern would be all referrals in a hospital system are kept in house. I dont mind dealing with chiros and attorneys but would like to focuse the majority of my oractice on a traditional referral base of PCPs, orthos and neuros.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a lot more to it than that. I have my own practice but you have to ask very specific questions if you want advice. If your question is about articles I believe it was Medical Economics that published a series of articles on how to to go about opening up. I found those articles helpful.

Thanks. I was looking for more general resources like the medical economics articles. Will come back with more specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of someone who is interested in helping young guys start their own practices. I’m not sure exactly how involved he’s being or what all he’s doing with it but I know he had mentioned to me wanting to get more involved in doing that since he is halfway retired and has more time on his hands. You can shoot me a private message if you want to get his contact information.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can please share the Medical Economics article, that would be great.