Resources to Read/Listen to as Third Year Applying for EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Midway through third year and just recently decided on EM. Will obviously be lining up sub-i's the beginning of fourth year, so what can I be listening to or reading now that will better prepare me when I step into those rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Em clerkship podcat hands down the best “perform well on the rotation” podcast

For keeping up on new literature i like skeptics guide to emergency medicine, foamcast, aliem, and emcrit (which will be woefully over your head at times as a student but is really interesting)

Reactions: 1 user
I would stick to EMBasic as a student prior to starting your EM rotations. It really covers the bread and butter topics, ddx for common presentations, and basic management.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Midway through third year and just recently decided on EM. Will obviously be lining up sub-i's the beginning of fourth year, so what can I be listening to or reading now that will better prepare me when I step into those rotations?
CDEM has an online curriculum for 3rd and 4th year students, very helpful for basics if you like to read. Rosh review also has a EM clerkship question bank with great explanations that will definitely help, especially with away rotation exams.

I think EM basic is exactly what you're looking for.

Get the book The Chief Complaint by Chris Feier. Extremely well laid out and helpful approach to thinking over complaints as they actually arrive. It isn't tiny, but it fit in the back pocket of my scrubs or easily at desk and would read over quickly before seeing a new patient. It was beyond helpful.

I will 2nd the EM clerkship podcast. It's like a shorter version of EM Basic, which is nice because it allows you to quickly gain an approach to a wide variety of chief complaints. EM Basic is great, but maybe a little too thorough for someone that wants to try to cram prep