Resources to stay up to date as hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naseeha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just entered my second year as a hospitalist and feel like I'm not gaining knowledge at the pace I would like to. During residency I used to read textbooks, go home and read up on patients and received good evals from attendings.

Now as an attending with family and making money and starting to enjoy things that I've always wanted I'm finding it hard to keep up. Just don't have the motivation to sit down and read texts like I used to. Any qbanks or audios/videos that are relevant for hospitalists? I'd prefer resources that talk about pathophysio as I still like that.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i do medscape for free CME but more so with uptodate most of the time

The NEJM Knowledge+ Qbank claims to use adaptive learning but not sure if that holds up. If that were actually the case I’d be willing to plump the not insignificant $

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the consult notes :D

Except when they are old farts who order PPI gtts for GIBs, urine eosinophils for AKI, renal doses of dopamine, FFP for any INR > 1.5 before any IR procedure.

Agree with UTD

Yeah I have had the argument with IR about the INR so many times. It’s like talking to a brick wall. Guess that’s the price of being a pure proceduralist.

Reactions: 1 user
I second the curbsiders podcast. A lot of good info and very easy to listen too. I plan to get the new mksap18 and do some questions on my week off. Uptodate of course. And i sign up for NEJM physician’s first watch for latest medical updates.

Reactions: 1 users
www.radsconsult.com

More of a tool to fill in that huge radiology gap in everyone's medical education. Nearly every clinician orders imaging routinely throughout their practice, but there is no formal training on how or what to order, what the limitations are, or even what's available.

It answers every question from whether or not to give IV or Oral Contrast, to when to withhold/reverse anticoagulation meds and minimum required anticoagulation parameters prior to any radiology procedure, to what imaging study to order for over 1,000 searchable diagnoses and symptoms. It also has every type of radiology exam and interventional radiology procedure you can think of with the common indications of when one would order such an exam, including all the variations of each exam with and without IV and/or Oral contrast. It's also evidence-based with ACR Appropriateness Criteria displayed when available next to each search.

While other clinical decision support tools exist, this is the ONLY application of its kind that is free, evidence-based, comprehensive, and built to be used on your mobile device.

www.radsconsult.com

More of a tool to fill in that huge radiology gap in everyone's medical education. Nearly every clinician orders imaging routinely throughout their practice, but there is no formal training on how or what to order, what the limitations are, or even what's available.

It answers every question from whether or not to give IV or Oral Contrast, to when to withhold/reverse anticoagulation meds and minimum required anticoagulation parameters prior to any radiology procedure, to what imaging study to order for over 1,000 searchable diagnoses and symptoms. It also has every type of radiology exam and interventional radiology procedure you can think of with the common indications of when one would order such an exam, including all the variations of each exam with and without IV and/or Oral contrast. It's also evidence-based with ACR Appropriateness Criteria displayed when available next to each search.

While other clinical decision support tools exist, this is the ONLY application of its kind that is free, evidence-based, comprehensive, and built to be used on your mobile device.

Thanks for advertising your business bro.

Seriously? Waiting for this nonsense to be taken down

It's educational and non-commercial. The mods have been discussing this for some time. We're allowing it, but keeping our eye(s) on it.

When (not if...when) it goes paid/commercial/ad supported, it will get taken down.

I understand the skepticism. But, it's not a business. It makes no money. My name isn't even on it, so there's no self-promotion.

It's just a massive deficiency in all of med ed and something that primary care docs have been asking for ever since I started training. The alternative to this is a high cost paid subscription by your hospital to a large clinical decision support company. Many hospitals do not have the $$$ for that, so there is no way for clinicians to get access to content like this even if they would personally pay for it.

This is a passion project of mine, not my main or side business.

If you don't find it helpful, I'd love to to know why or how to make it better. And this resource will always be free.