mikejames

10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Does anyone know anything about respiratory therapy? Is it a good thing to go into, plus I heard it only took two years. Can anyone give me more info?

StringerBell

It's the final countdown!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Does anyone know anything about respiratory therapy? Is it a good thing to go into, plus I heard it only took two years. Can anyone give me more info?

The last few years, I've been working as a cardiology tech, which, under our hospital, is under the umbrella of respiratory therapy.

Yes, it does only take 2 years. You don't even need a bachelor's degree - I believe you can do R.T. essentially out of high school. (Don't know if you need pre-req's first...). There are some plusses and minuses - depending on where you work. Some places, you're not going to be doing anything but giving inhaler treatments; at our hospital (Trauma 1), the level IV RT's would intubate, do arterial lines, etc.

The pay is not bad, (Expect $35/hr to start in CA) and 3 12-hour shifts a week is considered full time. But if your goal is to be a physician, you should stay on that route. Being an RT is a fine job, but it's not a profession as is being a doctor, IMHO. There is a gentleman on SDN who is fairly active in the forums who is an RT, and he should be able to tell you more.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.