Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Respiratory Therapy???????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mikejames, Feb 20, 2007.

1. mikejames

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know anything about respiratory therapy? Is it a good thing to go into, plus I heard it only took two years. Can anyone give me more info?

2. StringerBell

StringerBell It's the final countdown!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The last few years, I've been working as a cardiology tech, which, under our hospital, is under the umbrella of respiratory therapy.

Yes, it does only take 2 years. You don't even need a bachelor's degree - I believe you can do R.T. essentially out of high school. (Don't know if you need pre-req's first...). There are some plusses and minuses - depending on where you work. Some places, you're not going to be doing anything but giving inhaler treatments; at our hospital (Trauma 1), the level IV RT's would intubate, do arterial lines, etc.

The pay is not bad, (Expect $35/hr to start in CA) and 3 12-hour shifts a week is considered full time. But if your goal is to be a physician, you should stay on that route. Being an RT is a fine job, but it's not a profession as is being a doctor, IMHO. There is a gentleman on SDN who is fairly active in the forums who is an RT, and he should be able to tell you more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...