respirtory alkalosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ianstone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my stupid question again...:(
will respiratory alkalosis cause polyuria?
how is it going?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Respiratory alkalosis will cause compensatory changes in the kidneys, mainly decreased reabsorption of bicarb and idecreased exctreation of acid. I don't think the concentration of these ions are going affect the amount of urine formation. Now, I'm trying to read your mind, but are you thinking that since there is less reabsorption of bicarb in the renal tublule there will bee an osmotic diuretic affect much like diabetes and glucose?

if anything, I think it might cause compensatory oliguria. Polyuria would cause increased flow in the distal tubule, which would cause increased acid secretion, which would make the alkalosis MUCH worse. So the answer would definately be NO.

refers to high O2 in blood , low co2,
body will compensate by increase production of acid .
(metabolic acidosis)
or maybe polyuria will excrete more bicarbonate n restate body to normal.
correct me if im wrong,

refers to high O2 in blood , low co2,
body will compensate by increase production of acid .
(metabolic acidosis)
or maybe polyuria will excrete more bicarbonate n restate body to normal.
correct me if im wrong,

The kidneys don't compensate for alkalosis by producing acid, they compensate by reducing the production (reabsorption) of bicarb. That means less H+ secretion into the distal tubule.

I don't see how GFR would increase or ADH would decrease, so I don't see how polyuria would come about.

Polyuria would not occur, there would just be an increase in the concentration of bicarb in the urine.

Could this be the mechanism?

Increased pH --> Increased action of the Na/H pump to reabsorb acid --> more salt in your urine --> polyuria.

Polyuria would not occur, there would just be an increase in the concentration of bicarb in the urine.

Shouldn't increased bicarb in the urine promote more urine formation and K+ excretion? Isn't this analogous to what's going on with carbonic anhydrase inhibitor diuretics?

Shouldn't increased bicarb in the urine promote more urine formation and K+ excretion? Isn't this analogous to what's going on with carbonic anhydrase inhibitor diuretics?

An increase in urinary bicarb (i.e. an increase in filtered load) generally leads to a compensatory increase in bicarb absorption at the PCT (this is also seen with an elevated PCO2 or a volume contracted state). So I would think the answer here is no. But I've been wrong before.

The kidneys don't compensate for alkalosis by producing acid, they compensate by reducing the production (reabsorption) of bicarb. That means less H+ secretion into the distal tubule.

I don't see how GFR would increase or ADH would decrease, so I don't see how polyuria would come about.

yeah , u rite.
i should revise back my renal physiology from 1st year..:oops:hehehe

I don't think alkalosis will cause polyuria, considering that alkalosis causes vasoconstriction. If anything, would say oliguria...