njmd55

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I recently had an interview and afterwards I sent thank you e-mails to both the faculty and the student interviewers. Now, it's been more than a week since I sent the e-mails but I haven't gotten a response yet from any of them. Is it possible that they never received my e-mails if they went into their spam folders or do you think they just didn't want to answer?
Has anything like this ever happened to any of you?? :confused:

desidr

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
I recently had an interview and afterwards I sent thank you e-mails to both the faculty and the student interviewers. Now, it's been more than a week since I sent the e-mails but I haven't gotten a response yet from any of them. Is it possible that they never received my e-mails if they went into their spam folders or do you think they just didn't want to answer?

:laugh:

Erina

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Don't worry about it. A lot of people don't get responses and it definitely isn't a bad sign or anything. Doctors and med students are just very busy :)

About the Ads

NervousNed

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
they probably dont want to answer dont worry about it they get tons of these what else is left to say? you thanked them dont stress it its not a bad sign

njmd55

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ok thanks guys!
the only reason I was worried is that the last time I sent thank you e-mails to my interviewers, they both answered within 24 hours. ;)

DarwinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I wouldn't expect a response. I haven't received responses from any of my interviewers and I don't take it personally. I mean if you think about it, you wouldn't expect them to write you letters back if you sent thank yous via snail mail, would you?
So don't sweat it. Chances are they received the emails, but just don't find it appropriate to respond.

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i never got a response. i was under the impression not to expect one. I certainly don't think its the norm to receive a reply to a thank you email/letter. so you must have made quite an impression. :D

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
When you send a paper thank-you, you don't get a response. I don't think that a response is really necessary.

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What exactly were you expecting....a thank you for sending a thank you?

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I usually sent paper thank yous but recently emailed my last ones (because they requested it). They both responded and my first instinct was to tank them. Then I realized I would be sending a "Thank you” for the "Thank you" in response to my "Thank you". The idea gave me a headache so I just shut my computer off.

SuperHiro

Attending
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Psh, I've sent out quite a few thank you notes and only recieved ONE response post acceptance. Don't worry about it, perhaps they don't want to continue the relationship of interviewer-interviewee until a final decision has been made.

Davjc2009

10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I usually sent paper thank yous but recently emailed my last ones (because they requested it). They both responded and my first instinct was to tank them. Then I realized I would be sending a "Thank you” for the "Thank you" in response to my "Thank you". The idea gave me a headache so I just shut my computer off.

:laugh: makes me think of when people at restaraunts and stuff tell me to enjoy my food I accidentally tell them "you too" and they look at me real weird

byong_soo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
a few email thank you's i did send, i've got brief responses via email. but it wasn't anything special- more of an acknowledgement and out of politeness i think. i highly doubt your TY emails will be going to SPAM box. If you are worried, send paper TY from next time =)

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
The Beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
:laugh: makes me think of when people at restaraunts and stuff tell me to enjoy my food I accidentally tell them "you too" and they look at me real weird

Haha. I do that all the time. :laugh:

byong_soo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

lol hilarious!

Stroganoff

15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003

You mean you didn't send your e-mail marked high priority with return receipt? I usually do that and follow up with snail mail and a phone call. Sometimes I enclose a $25 gift card to Bennigan's. Oh boy, we're going to Bennigan's!

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
:laugh:
You mean you didn't send your e-mail marked high priority with return receipt? I usually do that and follow up with snail mail and a phone call. Sometimes I enclose a $25 gift card to Bennigan's. Oh boy, we're going to Bennigan's!

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
Don't expect a response. Your Thank You should be the final contact. My experience was that they give feedback on the same day of the interview, so Thank You's do not improve your chances. That said, if you're going to send a Thank You, don't use email. That's lame. Buy a nice, professional card, handwritten, and keep it simple.

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think I've received responses from 1 of the 10 thank you's I've sent out. Don't freak out, and don't keep harassing them for a response. 9 times out of 10 they received your email and were doing something they considered more important than PR with potential students.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.