response to the new national guard ASR program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMH

Hospitalist/Nocturnist Hologram
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The army national guard has started recruiting hard in the last few months for docs (see the national guard vs the HPSP thread). I have a feeling that the other branches will have to raise the bar soon to keep up. Anyone have any word of this happening yet? I know my Army HPSP recruiter said to my NG recruiter that the NG is going to kill us. Hopefully the deals will get better.

See this thread for more info on the NG ASG program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was considering HPSP until I read all the negativity about the general atrophy of your medical skills, but now this NG program has my interest sparked. Thanks for spreading the good word.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you join ASR if you take adderall for ADD? I've heard people get waivers, but I've also heard people saying you have to prove you haven't taken meds for a year. Why would they care if your condition is under control and your very successful in school, given the fact that all your going to do is recruit?

that's not all you do. read more on the program.

Can you join ASR if you take adderall for ADD? I've heard people get waivers, but I've also heard people saying you have to prove you haven't taken meds for a year. Why would they care if your condition is under control and your very successful in school, given the fact that all your going to do is recruit?

You have to pass a MEPS physical to get in any branch of the military. MEPS has a reputation of not passing people for what I see as trivial things. I'll say in my case when the doctor at MEPS found out I was a medical student they warmed up to me quite a bit.

You can get scheduled for a physical without having to fill out a complete packet and get letters and all that. I'd suggest doing that first before you put all the work into a packet.

Can you join ASR if you take adderall for ADD? I've heard people get waivers, but I've also heard people saying you have to prove you haven't taken meds for a year.
This is not a National Guard requirement, this is a general Army requirement. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard, ADHD is a disqualifying condition. If you have been off your meds for one year and are stated as no longer have ADHD, it is waiverable. If you are still on adderall, you are assumed to still have ADHD and will not be eligible for commissioning.

This is true for Army. I believe it is also true for Navy. I have no idea for Air Force.

Why would they care if your condition is under control and your very successful in school, given the fact that all your going to do is recruit?
You will only be recruiting for three years, you will be in the Guard, in one capacity or another, for eight years. Even during ASR, you are expected to maintain height, weight, and physical standards of all other officers, so you have the same entry requirements.

I think you misunderstand the program. Once you finish school (and residency), you are a deployable officer.