Responsibilities of a hospital pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I will be starting a month-long rotation in the pediatrics department this Monday (I just finished 2nd year). I'm trying to compile a list of what I would like to learn, but since I have zero experience in the hospital, I would like people's feedback on the things I should start learning now to prepare me for work in the hospital (which area, I'm not sure yet; I just want to be able to use any clinical skills I developed in pharmacy school). This would help me make the most of my rotation and I'd be grateful for any feedback! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm tired, but I'll start with a few suggestions (but, I don't do peds).....

1. Have a good pocket handbook for peds dosing

2. Learn how to "deliver" medications to all age groups - how do you give hydrochlorothiazide to a 10kg child?

3. Figure you'll need to explain drugs, effects, side effects, etc..to parents over & over & over - they won't remember what you tell them becuase they're assualted by an overload of information.

4. Listen, listen, listen & observe. Watch & listen first before you say anything. There are not a whole lot of published studies on what you'll observe.

5. Learn to be creative - drugs can be delivered in juice (which kinds of juices can't be used?), foods (ice cream, rice cereal, etc), popsicles....learn as many possibilities as there are.

6. Just from a personal perspective - I found peds emotionally difficult. Get to know your preceptor & ask & discuss when things become hard for you.

Good luck!!!! Its a wonderful & awful rotation all mixed into one. You might have the great opportunity to help a child & family, but you also might have to find a way to help a child die comfortably & help the family with the terms of that situation.

Its not a job cut out for everyone, but for those who can do it, do it very well!!!! I admire them endlessly.

Thanks so much, sdn1977. I started my rotation on Monday and I'm so excited about the rest of it. I've realized even more how important technicians are and I've learned so much from them -ie how the majority of the pharmacy is run. I know zpak emphasized this, and I didn't really know what he meant until I experienced it myself. Thanks, zpak. Technicians deserve a LOT of credit. I'm looking forward to other aspects of pharmacy as well, if anyone thinks of any other objectives, please share. Supposedly and hopefully I'll be able to apply what I learned in school in my final 2 weeks of rotations (this week is unit dosing and other related activities, next is IV room). I hope there's enough time!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm tired, but I'll start with a few suggestions (but, I don't do peds).....

1. Have a good pocket handbook for peds dosing

2. Learn how to "deliver" medications to all age groups - how do you give hydrochlorothiazide to a 10kg child?

3. Figure you'll need to explain drugs, effects, side effects, etc..to parents over & over & over - they won't remember what you tell them becuase they're assualted by an overload of information.

4. Listen, listen, listen & observe. Watch & listen first before you say anything. There are not a whole lot of published studies on what you'll observe.

5. Learn to be creative - drugs can be delivered in juice (which kinds of juices can't be used?), foods (ice cream, rice cereal, etc), popsicles....learn as many possibilities as there are.

6. Just from a personal perspective - I found peds emotionally difficult. Get to know your preceptor & ask & discuss when things become hard for you.

Good luck!!!! Its a wonderful & awful rotation all mixed into one. You might have the great opportunity to help a child & family, but you also might have to find a way to help a child die comfortably & help the family with the terms of that situation.

Its not a job cut out for everyone, but for those who can do it, do it very well!!!! I admire them endlessly.

I am also on my month long hospital rotation after my first year of pharmacy school. So far it has been so AWESOME!! I have learned so much. I was wondering what types of books (pocket guides) do you find handy to have around?

I am also on my month long hospital rotation after my first year of pharmacy school. So far it has been so AWESOME!! I have learned so much. I was wondering what types of books (pocket guides) do you find handy to have around?

oh nevermind.............

Thanks so much, sdn1977. I started my rotation on Monday and I'm so excited about the rest of it. I've realized even more how important technicians are and I've learned so much from them -ie how the majority of the pharmacy is run. I know zpak emphasized this, and I didn't really know what he meant until I experienced it myself. Thanks, zpak. Technicians deserve a LOT of credit. I'm looking forward to other aspects of pharmacy as well, if anyone thinks of any other objectives, please share. Supposedly and hopefully I'll be able to apply what I learned in school in my final 2 weeks of rotations (this week is unit dosing and other related activities, next is IV room). I hope there's enough time!

Really??:D :D

unit dosing and IV prep for pedi are very educational. That's how I got my start....ended up 3 and 1/2 years as an intern at a childrens hospital.

Attitude is everything if you're just beginning. Whatever they throw at you...do it...and ask questions..again..and again.