Responsibility and College Counseling Centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be interesting for SDN

Members don't see this ad.

This kind of waste pisses me off. I feel like cancellation with 48 hours notice in the college counseling setting is totally reasonable. My clinical experiences to date have been with seriously psychiatrically and/or medically ill populations who are mostly low-income/Medicaid, and I'm super understanding of no-shows in those contexts (having really bad psychotic symptoms and can't find a family member to drive you to your appt? Meditransport never showed and that particular company is notoriously flaky? Missed the bus and there isn't another one for an hour? Too sick from chemo or back in the hospital from an exacerbation? Okay, we'll work around it), as folks are dealing with a lot of barriers to just get to their appointments.

But from what I hear from my colleagues in college counseling centers, maybe a handful of no-shows are because people's symptoms or life circumstances pose real barriers to attending their appointments, and the majority come from people who made an appt when they were feeling bad and "just didn't feel like" going when their appt actually came around. I have dealt with my own mental illness when I was younger and I deeply understand how it is to live with symptoms that make it extremely difficult to do ADLs including attending appointments. But it's not helpful to have NO expectations whatsoever, including expectations for basic responsibilities. Especially when the campus counseling center is right in the middle of the damn campus and within a short walk from most of the dorms. This idea that people with mental illness shouldn't or can't be accountable for any of their behavior is NOT a helpful framing - decreases self-efficacy, increases stigma, etc.

Students (and clients in general) need to understand that when they no-show, it's not just impacting them/staff, but that means there's another person who is suffering who I have to tell "sorry, we don't have any providers available til next month" and they could have been seen sooner. ESPECIALLY psychiatry appointments, as those are always in very short supply. If you have to cancel your appointment, fine -- but at least give 24 hours' notice and we can get another client in who's been waiting!

[edit] I am super cranky this morning apparently. Lol. Stupid match day eve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm of the opinion that we hold colleges/universities to too much responsibility all around. We've gone from having them provide an education, to providing any and every kind of amenity and life need that these young adults may need. It's just a continuation of living with parents.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel for administrators who oversee student counseling centers. The expectations on the service end have risen dramatically in the past couple of decades, and I suppose that people are still struggling to catch up. But I agree that broadcasting the no-show issues to the student body is a bad idea, not just for the optics of it but more importantly because it's not going to change anything. Ultimately, students are not responsible for making sure that their fees support a well-run, user friendly system with clear policies and boundaries. Things like no-show fees, cancellation policies, and scope of care are going to p*ss off a strident few, but they will make the system work better overall for the majority of students who are willing to share responsibility for their healthcare.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm...interesting approach by the university to email students and lay out the data for the cost of no shows. I think that characterizing this as “hurtful” is over the top.

In my college counseling experience, honestly I needed a no show or two just to have a break when my schedule was full and I already did one set crisis walk in hour per week plus several intakes, individual sessions, and group therapy, etc., but yes, it takes away the hour from other students and increases wait times.

I think this article, by focusing on no shows, misses the bigger point, which is that counseling centers need several more staff and more funding (administrations tend to balk at this despite the consistent trend in students utilizing more and more mental health services on campus every year), not necessarily focusing on the rare no show as one bandaid approach to address a gaping wound in a lack of adequate funding.

Do I think pointing out the cost of no shows by emailing all students is passive aggressive and/or rude? I’m not sure....maybe? I’m used to students and administrations blaming counseling centers for anything mental health-related on campus, like when deaths by suicide on campus happen (even if the student wasn’t attending therapy), so honestly the unfair expectations placed on counseling centers puts me in more of a position in which I’d want to defend the counseling center.

Some students no show because there are real barriers to seeking care, and others are just more flighty and don’t prioritize it. When counseling is free and there’s no “no show fee,” this will just happen sometimes, and it still happens in my private practice from time to time even when I charge fees. I don’t think no shows are the real problem, though, because a small percentage of late cancellations and no shows happen everywhere. If your university has higher than average no shows, then sure, look at little ways to reduce them. But don’t overlook the bigger issue, which is that counseling centers were tasked with advertising their services on campus in a big push in the past few decades and it worked....but now we need more therapists because it worked. Administrations need to be willing to spend more as a result if they expect more students to be seen and wait times to decline. I know of wait times of anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months just to get an intake; 2 months in college counseling is halfway through the semester.

Edit: also mulling over the idea that we simply expect too much from universities as our one-stop shop for students’ increasing mental health needs, as @WisNeuro mentions. I think this is also a valid concern. So maybe the issue isn’t just funding, but how we approach mental health care in college in general and who bears responsibility.

Reactions: 4 users
Student counseling centers should never be the primary source of mental healthcare for students... they are normally wayyyyy understaffed to do that, which is why many institutions (like my undergrad) set hard caps on the maximum number of sessions a student can attend during a certain period (for my undergrad - 8 sessions per 2 years). This cap can be petitioned if there is true financial need or barriers to care elsewhere, but I attended one of the largest public universities in the country, meaning that we would need to have somewhere north of 100 mental healthcare providers to meet the recommended standard of care for our student population's size. The idea behind our UCC is that students would get temporary help and referred out to a community provider better suited for longer term care, if needed. We were in a pretty rural area, and this worked for us, though I could see how universities truly in the middle of nowhere would have difficulty referring out.

I think setting up some policy, like many clinics, where X no-shows or late cancellations = temporary suspension of access to UCC services (or imposition of late fees) could possibly help, though I think students would push back at this. The problem, like any setting, is that part of getting people to come to sessions is that some people need incentives (carrots and sticks) to get there. Not everything in life is a "carrot,"so I am not sure why we as a profession should only be "positive" and say that students have no consequences for not attending sessions, as there are very real consequences (e.g., not getting the help you need, wasting a provider's time, taking up another spot from another student).

I think this article, by focusing on no shows, misses the bigger point, which is that counseling centers need several more staff and more funding (administrations tend to balk at this despite the consistent trend in students utilizing more and more mental health services on campus every year), not necessarily focusing on the rare no show as one bandaid approach to address a gaping wound in a lack of adequate funding.

As someone who was actively involved on a student-run board who made suggestions about the allocation/raising of student fees, this issue is really complicated. Students want more counselors, but don't want to pay more fees. The money has to come from somewhere, and that source (almost always) will mean raising fees. I am sure it's not always the case, but again my undergrad uni was fiscally responsible in how fees were distributed across student services, to the point where there had been several (failed) student ballots to raise fees to pay for a couple dozen more healthcare professionals. I think students would want to "rob one pot to fill the other" by taking from certain services they don't utilize. The problem, though, is that not all students utilize each service.

It's so nuanced. I appreciate this UCC's approach, though, and think that (some) undergrads may have overreacted to this in part due to "PC culture" (which, as an aside, I am not against being PC, but think it stifles genuine critical thinking at times).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is an article about a complaint without a solution, so it doesn't hold a lot of value.

From the Story said:
“It all has to go back to providing more resources. That in and of itself would solve all the issues,” Solomon said. “If universities are going to bring smart, well-educated students to their campus and provide them with an education and also make us pay for our health bills, then it’s their responsibility to keep us healthy.”
There are limited amounts of services which can be provided. A university of 30,000 student does not have the staffing to provide unlimited resources to students and it can't. This sort of thinking that it can, or should, be is unreasonable. Therapy services are simply a limited resource and limited resources require you to do things to make sure they get spread out. The perspective that the counseling center has to be responsible for making people show up is unrealistic and impossible (this is also true of the VA, or any service clinic - we can't make people show up and pretend like they have any exercise of freedom): (1) would they like a SCC staff to see less people each week (furthering the issue of a lack of resources) so that they can spend more time trying to get their caseload to come back and (2) how would they like someone to 'make people' show up. I really don't have an issue with SCC's being the primary source of mental health, but this means that (1) it has to be funded [salaries are way lower and there is a lot of understaffing] and (2) you have to be able to prioritize certain people or hold people accountable for making it difficult to provide those services if you want to make sure everyone can get what they need.

I don't see any issue with people knowing the cost of no-showing (both to themselves and to others). Welcome to college, this is one of the many lessons you will learn in civic responsibility and personal accountability throughout life.

Schools should get out of the health care game or charge per use for services.

Get your own doctors off campus. We teach, we aren’t your parents. Or.....

You no showed? You don’t get grades this semester until we get $50. No exceptions, too bad.

The example in the article stated that one-fifth of all counseling center appointments were no shows. In that case it doesn't sound like no shows were rare, and I would expect that reducing that number of no shows would, in fact, reduce wait times for appointments. It won't necessarily address every issue within that system, but it would help. And I don't think it's reasonable for students to expect the university to provide extensive mental health services for every student who wants them.

This may seem like semantics, but I think it would also be useful to look at the distinction between actual no shows, where the student does not arrive for the appointment and has given no notice, and cancellations that occur within 48 or 24 hours of the appointment. The former (in my experience) is much more frustrating and inefficient for the provider and the clinic. You waste a decent chunk of time waiting for the student not to arrive, possibly checking and rechecking the waiting room and your voicemail, so you're not able to fully use that time to catch up on documentation or other tasks. You also can't use it to squeeze in another student. There are ways to help reduce actual no shows - you can set up an automated reminder system so that students are less likely to forget, and you can also send out an email to students pointing out that noshows have an impact on wait times. Barring an absolute emergency in which the student is unable to access a phone, there are very few legit reasons for not at least calling to cancel.

Cancellations that aren't made until close to the appointment time seem different to me. They're less annoying for the provider, who at least knows that the student isn't coming and can choose to use that time to catch up or see someone else. And you can help to reduce them by creating some kind of consequence - even if it's just a $5 fee - for doing so.

“The blame or responsibility should never be on the student, especially a mentally ill student,” Nishar said. If a student doesn’t show up to a scheduled counseling appointment, it’s the university’s responsibility to “work out the logistics,” she said.

What exactly is the university supposed to do here?

Also, as a VA provider, I know that we have a lot of no shows and essentially no negative consequences (at least not financial). I wonder how the VA manages this financially, and if UCCs could learn from that.

That being said, I am always conflicted by this topic because I feel like showing up to an appointment is a pretty low bar that we should be able to expect people to meet. Therapy requires a lot of work, and showing up is part of that.

“The blame or responsibility should never be on the student, especially a mentally ill student,” Nishar said. If a student doesn’t show up to a scheduled counseling appointment, it’s the university’s responsibility to “work out the logistics,” she said.

Also, as a VA provider, I know that we have a lot of no shows and essentially no negative consequences (at least not financial). I wonder how the VA manages this financially, and if UCCs could learn from that.

That being said, I am always conflicted by this topic because I feel like showing up to an appointment is a pretty low bar that we should be able to expect people to meet. Therapy requires a lot of work, and showing up is part of that.

I agree, I also found that phrasing (i.e., "should never be on the student") to be problematic. To suggest that individuals with mental health difficulties can't and shouldn't be expected to manage their appointments removes quite a bit of agency and, to me, seems demeaning and dis-empowering.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Yeah anyone who can’t be expected to have even basic responsibilities shouldn’t be in college.

I think this gets at the responsibility debate that we all probably feel some degree of passion about. There is a whole conversation on the younger generation and their perceived inability to cope with stress (and an assumption that parents are shielding their children from failure more often?), and I'm sure we vary in our feelings on this. One psychologist wrote about the "decline of resilience" he has observed faculty discuss, but it's anecdotal and from a Psychology Today blog article. It does reflect some of what we've discussed in here, but at first glance, I can't find studies that compare student cohorts/generations in terms of grit or resilience. I myself many times have heard psychologists in counseling centers say that there is an increasing trend in the inability for college students to cope with stress (along with the well-established increase in mental illness prevalence in adolescents/young adults)...but is it a trend or is it just that these types of students in prior years never sought counseling?

Can we destigmatize mental health conversations and encourage seeking mental health services while also allowing students to bear some responsibility for their care and face some consequences for their behaviors that affect others?
Is our society trying to say "your mental illness diagnosis means you have no control over your behavior?" It's such a slippery slope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm of the opinion that we hold colleges/universities to too much responsibility all around. We've gone from having them provide an education, to providing any and every kind of amenity and life need that these young adults may need. It's just a continuation of living with parents.
Even middle school, high school they're feeding kids breakfast and such. Startsuch earlier on

Even middle school, high school they're feeding kids breakfast and such. Startsuch earlier on

I actually think the meal programs at schools are great. We know that if kids aren't getting basic needs met, they're at a higher risk of behavioral problems and dropping out. We have good data on this, plus, kids are dependent, and until they reach a certain age, it's not like they can get full-time jobs to support themselves if those needs aren't met. But, once someone reaches college age, we should be expecting a much higher level of independence. And, I'd have to imagine people would love for higher education to be much cheaper. One way to reach that goal, cut all of the extraneous amenities. Let's start with the rock wall in the school gym.

I believe the primary intention of school-based breakfast programs is to provide another meal for kids whose families are low income and/or would not otherwise be able to provide a morning meal, as an extension of subsidized lunch programs. In rural school districts students may have quite a long bus ride to and from school, so an additional meal option is helpful. That's based on the public schools where I grew up, at least. I wouldn't jump to characterize that as evidence for declining responsibility.

I think this gets at the responsibility debate that we all probably feel some degree of passion about. There is a whole conversation on the younger generation and their perceived inability to cope with stress (and an assumption that parents are shielding their children from failure more often?), and I'm sure we vary in our feelings on this. One psychologist wrote about the "decline of resilience" he has observed faculty discuss, but it's anecdotal and from a Psychology Today blog article. It does reflect some of what we've discussed in here, but at first glance, I can't find studies that compare student cohorts/generations in terms of grit or resilience. I myself many times have heard psychologists in counseling centers say that there is an increasing trend in the inability for college students to cope with stress (along with the well-established increase in mental illness prevalence in adolescents/young adults)...but is it a trend or is it just that these types of students in prior years never sought counseling?

Can we destigmatize mental health conversations and encourage seeking mental health services while also allowing students to bear some responsibility for their care and face some consequences for their behaviors that affect others?
Is our society trying to say "your mental illness diagnosis means you have no control over your behavior?" It's such a slippery slope.

Or that they simply never made it to college? We have opened the financial floodgates to allow just about anyone to attend college. Does that mean we have actually done anything to prepare the students to be in college or take on such debt?

Reactions: 1 user
This quote was one of the main reasons I posted the article. I find that there is a great deal of entitlement in that statement and a lack of understanding about the intricacies of providing mental health treatment. For example: Mental health is low priority for community colleges

Though, I imagine that quote is not representative of how most students think/feel. My doctoral program had a university clinic (separate from the UCC) and the students seemed to appreciate the low cost service.

Perhaps this speaks to the problem of providing free treatment. Anecdotally, it appears that free-service clinics have higher rates of no-shows and lower rates of adherence to treatment.

This quote was one of the main reasons I posted the article. I find that there is a great deal of entitlement in that statement and a lack of understanding about the intricacies of providing mental health treatment. For example: Mental health is low priority for community colleges

Though, I imagine that quote is not representative of how most students think/feel. My doctoral program had a university clinic (separate from the UCC) and the students seemed to appreciate the low cost service.

Perhaps this speaks to the problem of providing free treatment. Anecdotally, it appears that free-service clinics have higher rates of no-shows and lower rates of adherence to treatment.

I think this may be giving too much weight to the opinions of a 20-22 yr old with an obvious bias given her affiliations. Then again, the something for nothing attitude gets reflected all over society when social and political issues come up. That's why we are all having our student loans forgiven and getting universal healthcare in under 4 years.

As I mentioned above, we see this in VAs (which aren't free but definitely have fewer negative consequences for no showing than the private sector).

I think this may be giving too much weight to the opinions of a 20-22 yr old with an obvious bias given her affiliations. Then again, the something for nothing attitude gets reflected all over society when social and political issues come up. That's why we are all having our student loans forgiven and getting universal healthcare in under 4 years.
While I agree with your general sentiment, I wouldn't count universal healthcare as "getting something for nothing."

Or that they simply never made it to college? We have opened the financial floodgates to allow just about anyone to attend college. Does that mean we have actually done anything to prepare the students to be in college or take on such debt?
I don’t necessarily agree with the financial aspect, but I think it’s possible that some of the folks who have extreme difficulty coping with stress never made it to college because of their inability to function in stressful environments altogether.

Is it possible there’s been a shift in the perception of parents that colleges will take care of students’ mental health needs even if the actual need is for more intensive services than colleges can provide? Could more parents be encouraging students to go away to college even if they are ill-equipped to cope with stress?

It’s really hard to pin down what exactly has changed other than utilization/expectations for counseling centers and overall destigmatization of mental illness without research to compare cohorts.

While I agree with your general sentiment, I wouldn't count universal healthcare as "getting something for nothing."

It is when no one that is for it can tell you the cost. Of course there are costs, but most are not concerned with it(both in money and economic downturn if you crash the largest industry in the U.S.), just focus on the pie in the sky ideal.

It’s really hard to pin down what exactly has changed other than utilization/expectations for counseling centers and overall destigmatization of mental illness without research to compare cohorts.

Do you know if anyone doing research on this? I haven’t seen anything in the counseling literature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if anyone doing research on this? I haven’t seen anything in the counseling literature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Past research has mostly focused on students' perceptions of the counseling center and whether they were utilizing the services and/or barriers to service-seeking.

This study:

is the only one I've seen thus far that examines perceptions of counseling from parents of students, students, counseling staff, etc. and is from 1971. It looks at whether these groups think college counseling is appropriate for adjustment, career, or "college routine" (not sure what this means) and the differences in perspective based on group affiliation, so a little outdated.

That was a quick search, but it seems like folks aren't doing studies examining multiple generations' perceptions of college counseling and its purpose and perceptions of who is responsible for college students' mental health.

A few studies look at counseling staff perceptions of the severity of problems they're seeing, etc.

More research:

Interesting review here (2010) about the mixed data and methodological issues of the perception of increasing severity of college student concerns:

Norwegian researchers conducted a study looking at psychological distress of college students in 2010 and 2018 cohorts suggesting significant differences (unfortunately, I don't see any equivalent/recent U.S. studies):
Trends in self-reported psychological distress among college and university students from 2010 to 2018