Responsibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdm3413

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one choose studying over sleep?
I'm having a hard time...

Members don't see this ad.

They choose wisely, and in the good company of 5-hour energy, Starbucks double shot, and Adderal.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a balance. At some point 2 additional hours of sleep beat 2 additional hours of studying. All nighters are pointless. If you don't know THAT much material you are screwed anyways.

Time management is key here, and this took me years to learn! You should see school as a job with normal work hours 9-5. So during the day, you should either be in class, studying, or getting lunch. This will usually allow 3-5 hrs. per day for studying outside of class. Also, as exams approach, then you take the same schedule on the weekends. This allows you to fit other things into your day when you "get off of work" such as exercise and social time. Once you become used to this schedule, you should never be up late studying, you won't have to cram, and you will have a much more stress-reduced existence. Like I said, this took me years to master...Never skimp on sleep (especially the night before an exam) because sleep deprivation produces cognitive impairment on par with alcohol intoxication (and I assume you wouldn't take a test while thrashed). Also, sleep is when our memories are consolidated from short term to long term memory. Thus, you could study from 12AM-5AM, but without sleep to consolidate this studying, it is rare that you will remember much and it is likely that you will have just wasted your time.

There is a balance. At some point 2 additional hours of sleep beat 2 additional hours of studying. All nighters are pointless. If you don't know THAT much material you are screwed anyways.

And that point comes MUCH sooner than most students realize.

You are MUCH better off learning in short bursts than trying to cram for long periods. An ideal schedule would be 2-hr blocks with plenty of relaxation in between and a minimum of 7.5 hrs sleep/night (and NEVER less than 6). Is that realistic for most students? No... BUT you'll do better if you find a way to do it. Honestly, if you learn time mgmt and a little discipline, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting 7-9 hrs of sleep/night while still having plenty of fun.

They choose wisely, and in the good company of 5-hour energy, Starbucks double shot, and Adderal.

This, except shots only have 75mgs of caffeine each. While Venti coffee's have 435. Coffee gives way way more bank for your buck than expresso does.

basically, if you make it physically impossible for yourself to go to sleep, it won't be such hard decision :)

but honestly time management is the key. The only time I've never pulled an all-nighter, or even close to it, before an exam. You should be study in advance.

Just imagine not getting into medical school. That helps me not to sleep.

Undergrad is not hard enough to not get 8 hours of sleep per night. just plan out a schedule and stay on top of things and everything will work out

there are many things i'll sacrifice sleep for, studying has never been one of them. you should be able to make it fine academically without sacrificing sleep.

This, except shots only have 75mgs of caffeine each. While Venti coffee's have 435. Coffee gives way way more bank for your buck than expresso does.

basically, if you make it physically impossible for yourself to go to sleep, it won't be such hard decision :)

but honestly time management is the key. The only time I've never pulled an all-nighter, or even close to it, before an exam. You should be study in advance.

I drink Early Grey during late nights. I find I don't get jittery or crash. I drink alot, but it seems to release slower or in a more controlled fashion for some reason.

Undergrad is not hard enough to not get 8 hours of sleep per night. just plan out a schedule and stay on top of things and everything will work out
+ 1 billion!

If you're having trouble getting adequate sleep in undergrad due to study issues, you need to reevaluate your habits because you're doing something wrong.

I let Johnny Walker make the decision for me.
5-johnny-walker.jpg