May 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I have been out of Grad. school 2 years ago...working Full-time on/off. Last year, I took break of 3 months (intense prep with online Kaplan course). Outcome: - average of 6/7/7 v/ps/bs (from 12 to 20). That discouraged me. So, I stopped for a while; and, started my fulltime job back.

It has been 6 months since a break from MCAT. I want to restart my studying (while continuing full time job).

Should I stick to Kaplan online course and do intense review like last time? OR Should I pick a different course such as TPR/BR from scratch???

I have no set dates for MCAT. I will not take MCATs until I score over 27 on average (from practice tests). So, let me know guys...I have enough time and $$$. Just need guidance!

Kouger86

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude, in my opinion, Kaplan sucks ass!!!
go with TBR and EK for verbal/bio.

wangzc

5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
It sounds like you might need to restart from the basics. Although I know this might be downright discouraging, but the only way you can start getting the scores you want is to master the fundamentals.
But this is not so difficult. The MCAT primarily tests basic science knowledge. However, this means you need to know your general chemistry, biology, physics, and organic like the back of your hands.
I recommend using the Examkrackers material. First buy all of the review books, then all of the 1001 practice problems, including the 101 verbal reasoning passages.
The 1001 practice books are to get you reacquainted with the basic science knowledge you need to have in order to perform well. Its okay if you get a lot wrong. The important thing is to understand why you got it wrong. Is it because you misunderstood a concept, or you were just being careless.
Obtain the EK Audio Osmosis as well. Start listening to the CDs everyday, whenever you get a spare moment: while you are on the bus, walking to work, falling asleep. Become so immersed in the lectures that you are able to recite many of the passages, or even the jokes.
If you study diligently, you will obtain your MCAT goals.

Good Luck!

RokKidA

5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
I also recommend the EK books. They go into a good amount of detail without it being overkill. Although I am thankful for the amount of Kaplan practice tests they give you access to, their prep books are designed to briefly cover each topic w/o getting into much detail. (Especially their Bio section)