restarting residency after taking break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lostinnewyork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated medical school in 2005 and was dismissed during my third year of pediatric residency in 2008. I was 25 and did not know how to negotiate the politics and the hierarchy of the hospital. I was not prepared for the pace and responsibility of residency and was late to work and behind on discharge reports, among other issues.

Now that I am ten years older, I feel like I am better prepared and ready to go back into medicine. I have learned from my previous mistakes and have matured as a person. However, since then I have not worked in the medicine since and I am unsure of how to get back into the field. I have my medical license in the state in which I reside, but I have no recent experience. I found a program at Drexel that works with people that have taken time off, but most of those applicants have finished residency or are foreign medical graduates. There is a 6 week program designed to make oneself a better candidate to match in a new residency program and I am considering doing this program and re-applying in the match in pediatrics next year.

Given the amount of time that I have been out of residency and medical school, will any residency program even consider me as a prospective candidate? Is it worth doing this program and volunteering/building my resume this year with the hope of matching or should I just give up on being a doctor? Any other advice for someone that is desperate to get back into medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.