Restaurant jobs on AMCAS app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nobaddays

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as a high school/college student I worked at about 5 different bars and restaurants, doing everything from busboy to bartender. On my resume I have them all lumped together as "Various Restaurant Work". Should I do something similar on the AMCAS app or should I explicitly breakdown each place of employment? I likely won't be short on space with the fifteen spots for work/activities either way lol..

Thoughts/opinions appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert, but personally I would break it down in case they wanted to contact any past employers from it.

I got comments in both med school interviews and residency interviews about my restaurant and garbage collecting work. Shows grit I was told.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an expert, but personally I would break it down in case they wanted to contact any past employers from it.

I got comments in both med school interviews and residency interviews about my restaurant and garbage collecting work. Shows grit I was told.

Yeah I definitely plan on including it. I think it was a great experience as whole. Glad I don’t have to do it again haha..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my 2 cents: If you liked working there and you think you learned a lot, include them but separate the leadership experience (such shift manager) and the non-leadership experience (talk about customer service and communication). Prepare some stories to tell the application and interviewers.

If it's really just some hourly jobs that you learned very little about, do not include too much on your application. I worked in a restaurant as a busboy (I am a girl) and left after 6 months because of harassment. I personally chose to not include that in my application.

Hope this helps.

its not about what you do.....its about what you learn from what you do. Keep it as long as you can elaborate as to why it was important and what you learned.

I 100% put my blue collar work experience down.

I am proud to have come from a blue collar background, and I think if you can swing it in a way that could possibly relate, it could be a positive entry.

Reactions: 1 users
I am definitely including it for all the reasons mentioned. Just wasn't sure if it was worth breaking it up into 5 different entries or just one lump entry titled like "Restaurant Experience".. guess it really could go either way. Thanks everyone!

I am definitely including it for all the reasons mentioned. Just wasn't sure if it was worth breaking it up into 5 different entries or just one lump entry titled like "Restaurant Experience".. guess it really could go either way. Thanks everyone!
Put it all in one entry. Nobody's gonna call up your references for restaurant work (just give the most recent one for the contact info fields), so including it is more about showing that you've worked an actual job before and have some experience outside school than anything else.

Put it all in one entry. Nobody's gonna call up your references for restaurant work (just give the most recent one for the contact info fields), so including it is more about showing that you've worked an actual job before and have some experience outside school than anything else.
Pretty much what I figured.. thanks!