Restored Osteopathic Medical Student Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Based on feedback of members and some technical issues, the forum has been restored. Thanks for your input and help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I think the forums should be merged maybe after 2020, but as an impending OMS1, having a merged forum would obfuscate the different issues, rants, and discussions both MD and DO students face. De facto I check the MD forum for more general issues and gripes, and the DO forums for DO specific issues. Merging them would be a headache tbh

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, maybe the other should be re-named 'Allopathic Medical Students'. Right now 'Medical Students' and 'Osteopathic Medical Students' seems a bit pejorative.

I agree that the term started out as a pejorative, but I'd say that like "Puritan" and "Quaker" (which had similar origins), the term has been accepted by the mainstream and has lost its negative connotation. The homeopathics came up with the term and I posit that "homeopath" in and of itself is pejorative enough today, given that it's a synonym for quackery.

Allopathy is actually the pejorative term.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe have a combined Allo/Osteo thread in addition to individual ones? There are topics that would cross over and that would be a great thread for those while keeping Osteo and Allo specific topics in their respective threads.

Based on feedback of members, the forum has been restored. Thanks for your input and help! :)
Why not just have an Osteopathic specific forum underneath the class threads? You guys are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

Sure, etymologically speaking, but colloquially its the common nomenclature when distinguishing MD and DO.

I've literally never heard anyone use the term allopath outside the confines of this website. It's not at all a common colloquial term for MDs, and is only ever used by osteopaths.

Reactions: 10 users
I've literally never heard anyone use the term allopath outside the confines of this website. It's not at all a common colloquial term for MDs, and is only ever used by osteopaths.
I have heard more than one US MD call themselves allopaths (which I found weird, but I have an idea why). Regardless, overall I def agree with you. Both terms are archaic.

@Lee I think the headings look fantastic now. Solid work, doc.

Reactions: 3 users
That's cuz we call you muggles. Lel, non-bone-magic havin ass.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on feedback of members, the forum has been restored. Thanks for your input and help! :)

Confused. I thought since we have Physician / Resident Forums [ MD / DO ] category, it would be apt to rename this category as Medical Students [ MD / DO ] with field-specific thread markers available. To me, having two separate Medical Students forums is redundant.

Reactions: 1 users
The Allopaths want their segregation still.

I didn't care much, but it's nice to have a DO specific space mainly because there are fewer of us and it seemed harder to find DO threads when the forums were merged. Plus, I like the DO forum peeps, and they sorta got drowned out since the MD forum is so much busier.

I've heard numerous MDs use the term, including on many residency interviews. Maybe it's not really as prevalent among surgeons or maybe you just don't notice it.

The Allopaths want their segregation still.
Actually this time it was 2-3 DO students bitching about not being able to see all their friends or something. Super bizarre that things would get reverted back, especially since most of the active DO students voted in the original thread for merging.

Reactions: 4 users
Actually this time it was 2-3 DO students bitching about not being able to see all their friends or something. Super bizarre that things would get reverted back, especially since most of the active DO students voted in the original thread for merging.

Was there a vote? I mean honestly, I think we would have adapted either way and there would be potentially some interest or inquiry into DO matters by MDs too.

which is interesting because they concede the difference between the two degrees is mainly due to having separate medical student forums!

i just find it odd that the medical student forums remain separated but the residency forums are blended together without a problem. DO-specific discussions are covered well by pre-osteo forums. there is no reason to have another DO-specific forum.

To me, having two separate Medical Students forums is redundant.

I thought so too but the DO threads got buried by the sheer numbers of the different threads in Allo. The two groups have issues that are different, an MD student will not care or have any idea how to answer questions about the COMLEX or DO matching prospects. All it takes is for no one to post in that thread for a day and it gets bumped back to page 2 or 3 where hardly anyone will ever see it.

i just find it odd that the medical student forums remain separated but the residency forums are blended together without a problem. DO-specific discussions are covered well by pre-osteo forums. there is no reason to have another DO-specific forum.

The resident forums can be merged because they are much more similar and half of DOs are in MD residencies anyway. It's not like the DO surgeons have different issues than the MD ones, but at the medical school level I think the issues are actually different enough still to warrant a separate thread.

I thought so too but the DO threads got buried by the sheer numbers of the different threads in Allo. The two groups have issues that are different, an MD student will not care or have any idea how to answer questions about the COMLEX or DO matching prospects. All it takes is for no one to post in that thread for a day and it gets bumped back to page 2 or 3 where hardly anyone will ever see it.

The resident forums can be merged because they are much more similar and half of DOs are in MD residencies anyway. It's not like the DO surgeons have different issues than the MD ones, but at the medical school level I think the issues are actually different enough still to warrant a separate thread.

Now that you mentioned it, i'm curious. Where are COMLEX threads posted? In the USMLE forums?

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px 'Apple Color Emoji'}

Now that you mentioned it, i'm curious. Where are COMLEX threads posted? In the USMLE forums?

Kind of all over I think, I've seen a number of threads in the Osteopathic forum and then the board exam forum is entitled "USMLE and COMLEX" but I don't know how many COMLEX threads there are because I don't really go there much if at all.

which is interesting because they concede the difference between the two degrees is mainly due to having separate medical student forums!

Honestly, I agree in many respects. And honestly I think we would have adjusted to having a single forum. That being said it's easier to find DO specific threads now and the majority of the highly discussed ones will remain on page 1. But I also believe that this could have potentially been something we adjusted to as well. Maybe through clicking something on the interface that would bring up DO threads v.s general.

In either case I think there should have been more discussion on how to merge the forum that would have worked better for everyone.

Kind of all over I think, I've seen a number of threads in the Osteopathic forum and then the board exam forum is entitled "USMLE and COMLEX" but I don't know how many COMLEX threads there are because I don't really go there much if at all.
Honestly, I agree in many respects. And honestly I think we would have adjusted to having a single forum. That being said it's easier to find DO specific threads now and the majority of the highly discussed ones will remain on page 1. But I also believe that this could have potentially been something we adjusted to as well. Maybe through clicking something on the interface that would bring up DO threads v.s general.

In either case I think there should have been more discussion on how to merge the forum that would have worked better for everyone.

I support having a poll on the forum merger in the DO forums (since the MD forums essentially completely endorse the forum merger).

Someone suggested earlier of creating a subforum for DO-specific issues. Could be useful and more specific than just DO identifiers. Or we could make a directory listing all DO threads, but that could be very cumbersome.

I don't know whether the merger would make DO-specific issues less significant. Maybe not.

I thought so too but the DO threads got buried by the sheer numbers of the different threads in Allo. The two groups have issues that are different, an MD student will not care or have any idea how to answer questions about the COMLEX or DO matching prospects.
Aren't you a pre-med? Cause it seems like you definitely are.

First of all, COMLEX and USMLE threads have forever been in the "USMLE and COMLEX" subforum (it's 2 forums down from here). So those weren't even affected the merger. Second of all, you just got through saying that "half of DOs are in MD residencies", hence the "DO matching prospects" is not a topic which requires its own forum.

Your signature is also grammatically incorrect. And "Dr. House MD" is redundant and marks you out as a definite pre-med. Just sayin.

Let's merge with the dental forum since we're both technically bone doctors

First of all, COMLEX and USMLE threads have forever been in the "USMLE and COMLEX" subforum (it's 2 forums down from here). So those weren't even affected the merger. Second of all, you just got through saying that "half of DOs are in MD residencies", hence the "DO matching prospects" is not a topic which requires its own forum.

Your signature is also grammatically incorrect. And "Dr. House MD" is redundant and marks you out as a definite pre-med. Just sayin.

They aren't just a premed. The fact that you don't recognize that kind of demonstrates that you don't recognize the people that used to post regularly in Osteo.

I don't know why you are taking this all so personally. I know you made the thread in Allo in the first place, but relax, its just a website.

Like I suggested in that thread, the discussion should have been put up in the Osteo forum before the change was implemented, in order to really gauge the opinion of those who will be affected the most and avoid all of this back and forth. I personally could have gotten used to the change, which is why I didn't really complain about it, but obviously others felt differently.

I also see a ton of people on here posting about the COMLEX, and moree importantly taking the USMLE vs. COMLEX only. Those are the threads I believe he was referring to.

Last edited:
I also see a ton of people on here posting about the COMLEX, and moree importantly taking the USMLE vs. COMLEX only. Those are the threads I believe he was referring to.

All more reason to have the forums merge. Countless times I've been talking to md students about comlex on rotations and they have no idea what I'm talking about, let alone attendings. I actually think merging the forums would've lessened bias of MD students towards DOs. It's unfortunate that a couple of koolaid drinkers want to take us backwards.

And that my friends, is why we can't have nice things.

That's why the forums have a search function and alerts.

All more reason to have the forums merge. Countless times I've been talking to md students about comlex on rotations and they have no idea what I'm talking about, let alone attendings. I actually think merging the forums would've lessened bias of MD students towards DOs. It's unfortunate that a couple of koolaid drinkers want to take us backwards.

And that my friends, is why we can't have nice things.

I actually think that was one of the more beneficial aspects of merging the forums. My solution would be to create an interface into the forum header that is titled MD/DO, which DO students can click and have recent DO threads come up.

We can try merging again. We just need to think it through.

Sure, etymologically speaking, but colloquially its the common nomenclature when distinguishing MD and DO.
I've actually heard the term "allopath" used by practitioners and followers of alternative medicine as a perjorative for actual, science-based physicians. In which case I would be proud to be called an 'allopath' even as a DO.

I found this pretty interesting: https://md.nova.edu

I believe they are using the name of the college to obviously distinguish it from the DO school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol.... dude it's not like you personally benefit financially from a forum merger.. the fact you don't know that here are a number of times COMLEX comes up on the DO forums shows you don't spend much time there. My signature is satire. I have no idea why, but it seems like you took my post as a personal attack.

Edit: I should also add that yes I am still a "pre-med." I have already been accepted but hate the term "medical student-accepted" so refuse to change my status. As somebody who will be a DO student in just a few months I feel that the issues in a DO forum impact me far greater than they impact some current MD student... but by all means continue to try and use my "pre-med" status as some trump card. No wonder people hate doctors, we are always trying to make things a phallus measuring contest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardly. Residency preparation, OMM, research, rotations, and many other major issues faced hy osteopathic medical students are much different than those encountered by MD students.

I actually think that was one of the more beneficial aspects of merging the forums. My solution would be to create an interface into the forum header that is titled MD/DO, which DO students can click and have recent DO threads come up.

We can try merging again. We just need to think it through.
But that requires an extra click to do what already happens with separate forums. The split helps MD students avoid DO clutter and vice versa.

Hardly. Residency preparation, OMM, research, rotations, and many other major issues faced hy osteopathic medical students are much different than those encountered by MD students.

much different as in...? i thought MD and DO schools do the same thing and have the same/similar goals? how exactly are residency preparation, research, rotations etc. significantly different that they require an entire forum?

how exactly are residency preparation, research, rotations etc. significantly different

Here just some examples: DO programs essentially require an audition to match, MDs do not have to do this generally. Finding research at DO schools requires a lot more legwork than at MD schools, an MD student will not be able to relate because their experience will be a lot different. Rotations are fairly scattered and largely in a preceptor model at DO schools, while MDs can have some rotations like this they largely spend their rotation time at their school's medical center. The issues the different groups of students encounter are simply different in a number of aspects.

Honestly, I think the forums should be merged maybe after 2020, but as an impending OMS1, having a merged forum would obfuscate the different issues, rants, and discussions both MD and DO students face. De facto I check the MD forum for more general issues and gripes, and the DO forums for DO specific issues. Merging them would be a headache tbh
There can only be one Doctor Strange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
I know it's been changed twice now but I really think having an 'osteopathic-specific topics' subforum in the medical student forum is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why does it seem like MD students are the ones irritated by two forums? You guys couldn't care less about the COMLEX or DO rotation issues so why does it bother you?

I like having them separate. I like the slower pace here. When they merged, I stopped going to the med student area because there's too much stuff going on there.

I like having them separate. I like the slower pace here. When they merged, I stopped going to the med student area because there's too much stuff going on there.
I do like the slower pace...and quite frankly, we get a lot less of the neuroticism and trolling in our little corner of the site.

DO medical students do have a few different issues than MD medical students. Most of those differences stop mattering after medical school. That makes it handy to have a forum for those things.

It isn't like we are segregated to this forum. We are medical students, so we belong with everyone else in the Medical Students forum. Sometimes, we need to talk about things that really only apply to us, and we can do that in the Osteopathic Medical Students forum, the better to avoid cluttering the larger forum.

There is no drama in this, unless it is deliberately created by folks who really ought to have better ways to spend their time.