Results on AAMCs 11 relative to the real test. I got a 29 on 11R and it broke my improvement trend.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm taking the mcat on january 23rd and I just took AAMCS 11 and it broke my improvement trend. Do I still have a chance at getting 30? Since I started studying in august when I took the 3R and got a 26 I started having a strong improvement trend since then and finally hit 30 on the 8r, then got a 31 on the 9R, 30 on the 10R, and now a 29 on the 11R (11/9/10), which I heard is the most similar to the real deal and I figured it'd be a good idea to expose myself to that as soon as I can so I know what I really need to improve for the real deal. This test really threw me off and seemed a lot harder than any of the previous ones. The physical sciences section took me a lot more time than usual and the passages and questions took me a lot more time to wrap my heard around granted that most of them turned out to be a lot simpler than i thought. Same goes for the biological sciences section, except a lot of questions in that section came down to careful elimination and educated guessing based off of the passage and understanding scientific experiments ("Ok, the best way to see if something is associated with a particular result is to run a test without that particular something and see if that result is still produced"). Also, I believe part of the reason why i didn't do as well may have been because i rushed.

Based off of my results, do I still have a chance at getting a 30 on the real mcat and is the AAMCS 11 pretty much the most accurate indicator of how you'll do on the mcat? At this point i'm just trying to expose myself to as many passages with questions as possible and get a better grasp of little things in material that i didnt understand before. I've gone through most of the study material (kaplan, tbr, tpr, etc) and going through some of their passages again as well.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
You're fine. Your average is probably the best indicator of how you'll do on your MCAT. I did the worst on AAMC 11 (particularly on PS) than my previous AAMCs (I took AAMC 11 last). It turned out to be a fluke and I did closer to my average than how I did on AAMC 11.

Reactions: Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
You're fine. Your average is probably the best indicator of how you'll do on your MCAT. I did the worst on AAMC 11 (particularly on PS) than my previous AAMCs (I took AAMC 11 last). It turned out to be a fluke and I did closer to my average than how I did on AAMC 11.
+1

Jun 29, 2011
Status
Medical Student
AAMC11 is the most accurate indicator of the SKILLS you need to be successful on the MCAT, but not the content itself. It's the most like the current tests but again, this is in the type of questions they pose and what they expect from you.. not the exact questions.

Think of it like this:

You're taking a class that covers 6 topics: A, B, C, D, E and F.
You are very good at topics A and B.
You are okay with topics C and D.
You are terrible with topics E and F.

The first test in the class covers only A, B and C. You do pretty damn well
The second test in the class covers B, C and E. You do okay.
The third test in the class covers D, E and F. You do terrible.

If your grade is only based on one of those three tests, it can vary ridiculously.

This is what happens on the MCAT x 100. Thus, the only good predictor of your SCORE is the average of all the AAMCs you take.. the idea being that as you take more tests, you will be exposed to more content and have less variability. You can still always hit the jackpot with all great topics for you (or all bad topics for you), of course.. but the odds of that happening decreases as you take more tests that factor into your prediction.

Basically.. no. You're fine.