Resume Building

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides getting involved in student interest groups, what other ECs can/should you do during M1 to build your resume for a competitive specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Besides getting involved in student interest groups, what other ECs can/should you do during M1 to build your resume for a competitive specialty?

Volunteering, research, shadowing, leadership in student orgs, and something fun and unique that you enjoy doing.

Volunteering, research, shadowing, leadership in student orgs, and something fun and unique that you enjoy doing.

There's time ding M1 for research?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
There's time ding M1 for research?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I don't suggest starting research until you're like ~ 2 months into school (everyone needs time to adjust), but it's doable if you're at a school that has a half day schedule.

Research is arguably the most important EC in med school. Definitely give yourself some time to settle in and adjust to the onslaught of material before you pile too much stuff onto your plate, though.

The search function is your friend, especially in the Articles tab. :) There are several threads on this. Most have the consensus that Board scores are most important; but some of the more competitive specialties do value research--especially if you've published. EC's don't carry all that much weight, from what I've read.