Resume for post residency job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyr77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you include step scores on your CV when applying for jobs after residency? Also what are things most groups are looking for on there, other than Board eligible

Members don't see this ad.

I put mine on there, although I doubt anyone actually looked at them. Most community groups seemed most interested in the fact that I was A) Board Eligible B) Had a pulse C) was not a jerkoff. Hell, I just got a job where the director said to me at the end of the interview "We really like you, the job is yours if you want it...but hey, can do you have a copy of your CV just so I can say I looked at it?" None of this holds weight for those haughty academic places, though.

Reactions: 1 user
I put mine on there, although I doubt anyone actually looked at them. Most community groups seemed most interested in the fact that I was A) Board Eligible B) Had a pulse C) was not a jerkoff. Hell, I just got a job where the director said to me at the end of the interview "We really like you, the job is yours if you want it...but hey, can do you have a copy of your CV just so I can say I looked at it?" None of this holds weight for those haughty academic places, though.

On a related note, what does a "haughty academic place" look for? I've heard from my program that fellowship training is almost a must now. Obviously research is good. Anything in particular? Any recent anecdotes from new academic attendings?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a medical director and do a lot of recruiting. I don't care about your step scores - you scored an EM residency, and that's good enough for me. I want to know pretty much the above: you're board eligible, right? You didn't screw up big time somewhere along the line (or if you did, are totally upfront and honest about it)? And are you going to be a good fit for us?

Having a pulse is helpful.

I'm not at a haughty academic shop, though.

(And I've got to say, I've never seen a CV that had board scores on it.)
Second (or third) languages are nice.

(And I've got to say, I've never seen a CV that had board scores on it.)
Second (or third) languages are nice.
I've got mine on my CV, but there's a very good reason. But I agree, in the community, it's pretty much, "Is he/she going to work hard, be competent, low maintenance and not a total a$s?"

Actually, if you put Latin down as a second language, I'd probably ask about it at dinner. I have a dear friend from college who speaks (or at least wrote) the most fluent Latin I could imagine, considering he doesn't really get to practice - he's a fascinating guy.

What if that language is Latin?
Huge plus. Especially if you're interviewing with someone like me who majored in the Classics. We love dead languages. Throw in some ancient Greek as well and you're golden.