resume for research???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeffosokisk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was recently given a chance for an interview to do research under a professor. He's asking me to bring in a resume, but I don't quite know what should be on it. I understand how to create resumes for jobs, but not for research positions. Should I list my science classes and previous research position? Should I also include other non-science activities? Since I've never really done research, I'm really excited, but I don't quite know what I will have to put on my resume because I don't have much to put on it. All I've done was some independent research project, in addition to a few clubs. If you have previous resumes, can I just take a look to see how it should be done?

Thanks for the help,

-Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, congrats on the interview and relax!! He's probably just asking what science experience you have (assuming this is science research), and what grades you received. He's also interested in what previous research experience you have. This is so that he can get an idea of how much scientific knowledge you currently possess, and how well you are suited for whatever project he has in mind.

Usually these interviews are more of a "getting to know you" thing, and you almost certainly will not get "rejected." Everybody has to start learning about research somewhere!

So relax, and show that you are completely eager and excited to do research and I'm sure you will be fine. :)

know his/her research aims and goals, as well. Be ready to show a passion for his/her area. As far as a resume goes, just list what you consider your best accomplishments, in the classroom or extracurricular, along with previous research experience, if any. Maybe provide an informal academic history report for grades or a transcript if you can get your hands on one quickly enough.

And don't stress. Most aren't (though I learned later on that mine actually was... kinda glad I learned that after the fact!) an interview in terms of competition for a position.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of format though, make it an actual resume. State a goal of what you want from the research, how you can help in its progress, and a list of your qualifications, etc. I'm sure you know the deal.

Yep, what the above poster said. Also mention any experience in reading primary scientific literature...it will be a critical skill if asked to read up on the current papers on his/her research area.

Haha when I started I had NO IDEA how to read organic chemistry research papers. That was an interesting crash course.

Thanks for all your responses!

What type of clothes should I wear to the interview? Since it's not an formal interview, would it be awkward to wear a white dress shirt and a tie? I was thinking more of a polo to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

-Jeff