Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Resume or CV??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by neuro1617, Jan 4, 2009.

1. neuro1617

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At what point would one transition from having a resume to having a CV? I'm aware of the difference between the two. Wouldn't it be when you have sufficient poster presentations, publications, conferences attended, lectures given, etc, to fill in a CV? What about for a premed who has a few poster presentations and one publication that go along with a few research experiences? I'm not sure how to include this on my current resume but don't want to look presumptuous in having a CV already (I'm applying to medical school this year adn am redoing my resume for a research app). I was thinking at some point in medical school, and especially for residency, a CV would be appropriate. Also I was thinking a resume would be better for including volunteer experience/leadership activities. Advice is appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I left mine as a resume simply because the experiences that I have needed explaining.

I just added a section to my resume for "Publications & Presentations" and cited them there.

#2 nick_carraway, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was under the impression that resume=CV. I guess I'm wrong.

5. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    i think CV is mostly reserved for academics, specifically professors or people who are using the document to highlight academic accomplishments,

usually includes a list of publications or positions held at various departments, etc.

i think a resume is more for getting a job while a cv is more akin to academic use... ie you want to know about a professors work. generally the cv and resume are identical but cv is aimed at cirriculum vitae or things of academic nature. a resume can really be anything you want including academics. ive seen resumes with things like favorite food, or gigs at a nightclub...those would not appear on a cv.

id wait until you are 35 or a professor or a research scholar to start calling it a cv.

6. neuro1617

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's a good idea. I think I'll go with that:)