Resuming civilian residency after military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPT_L31

Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
So apologies in advance this is a long one.

During my first year of Residency I was placed on academic probation for a period of 3 months for professionalism and patient care issues. Specifically, being late for clinic as well as assessment and plans that were not at my expected level during rounds. I was able to complete this and progressed to second year.

In PGY-2, I was again cited for patient care issues and professionalism. However based on institution rules, I wasn’t able to repeat probation and the clinical competency committee instead recommended my termination from training. I was allowed to resign in lieu of this.

I know at the end of the day I am responsible for myself and I take full responsibility for what happened; but I also think negative perceptions of me from PGY-1 were hard to shake and lead to increased scrutiny and added stress.

After leaving the program, I was able to work as a GMO and paid back my time before ETSing in February 2019. However, I struggled to find a post because of a very negative final evaluation from my PD. I did eventually find a very kind CPT who was willing to take a chance.

Since leaving the military I've been trying unsuccessfully to match again but this final eval is like a black mark. I've tried everything, research, externships, LOR's. I even printed out my OER's from immediately after to show this was a one time thing. I don't really know where to go from here, so I want to see if anyone was in my situation before, if they were able to overcome it and how?

Members don't see this ad.