Retail job Market in Bay Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arjun123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,, I got my license ( RPh) in August, but couldn't able to find any position ( part-time/ full) in this saturated market, calling every day, sending resumes every where, but no luck. Do you guys have any suggestions or lead?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,, I got my license ( RPh) in August, but couldn't able to find any position ( part-time/ full) in this saturated market, calling every day, sending resumes every where, but no luck. Do you guys have any suggestions or lead?
Where did you work during school?

Here’s a suggestion: Move out of California. If there are no jobs, there are no jobs. It doesn’t matter how good your CV is or how passionate you are about pharmacy when the numbers don’t lie. The bay area is one of the worst places to find a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you work during school?
Actually I am a foreign grad, reciprocated from east coast, where I had retail pharmacist experience in independent pharmacy for almost 2 years.

Actually I am a foreign grad, reciprocated from east coast, where I had retail pharmacist experience in independent pharmacy for almost 2 years.
Did you live in the Bay Area before?

Why did you move all the way to the west coast with no job lined up? You need to tell us more.

Reactions: 1 users
Because of spouse job in Silicon Valley.
You need to figure out the maximum tolerable commute options. Your options in the Bay Area may not exist.

Seriously the market here is so bad, do pharmacist have any other work options?

Seriously the market here is so bad, do pharmacist have any other work options?
I know someone that didn't do any networking, and easily get a job at Walgreens( palo alto) after graduation . But that was in 2014.

I know someone that didn't do any networking, and easily get a job at Walgreens( palo alto) after graduation . But that was in 2014.
luls 2014 -_-

So, you suggest a delorean?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who had no work experience, no networking, and got a free car as a sign-on bonus easily. But that was in 2006. Top that!

Reactions: 6 users
$20K - $40K signing bonuses were common for grads with a bachelor's degree in pharmacy.

Circa 1999.

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who had no work experience, no networking, and got a free car as a sign-on bonus easily. But that was in 2006. Top that!
I know several people with a pulse and $200k+ in debt, no work experience and no networking who still got [contract] jobs in BFE Northern California (I count Sacramento and anything outside the Bay Area proper as BFE). This is in 2019 by the way.

Reactions: 2 users
My suggestion is to invest in a plane and commute to Bishop or Alturas by air every day.

Have you tried Stockton? You can live halfway between SV and Stockton so commute is mildly tolerable. However, no idea how the job market there is now.

I was going to suggest the central valley, but I guess that isn't an option. Are you open to commuting? Start searching in the most remote location that you are willing to travel. And, hey, at least your spouse is making Bay area money. Maybe you don't even need to work?

Reactions: 3 users

Oops, I apologize for my comment. I didn’t mean to troll to anything bad. I don’t know much about the Bay Area market right now, my apologize again, I just want to give OP some faith by telling what I have known. 2014 was not not a long time ago! Even things are bad now, but it can’t be suddenly went from heaven to hell in just 5years.

i worked a ton of OT in SF proper from 2012 to 2017 (WAG). During the summers you could honestly snap your fingers and work OT whenever, ESPECIALLY on the weekends. Damn i miss that. easy saturday shift downtown with tourists asking about amoxicillin, OT. but as soon as 2018, BAM. OT is super hard to come by, pretty much non existent.

Maybe the schedulers were just bad at their jobs or sf district just never hired enough pharmacists, lots of turnover, prob a lot of factors. but OT was SO common i'm sure the company made them over hire and now we're in the some boat of no OT, newer grads fighting for hours, etc.

I was going to suggest the central valley, but I guess that isn't an option. Are you open to commuting? Start searching in the most remote location that you are willing to travel. And, hey, at least your spouse is making Bay area money. Maybe you don't even need to work?

i need to invest my time into finding one of those people. lol. i live here in SF and i'm single AF. ha. need to find one of those bay area money spouses in case this pharmacy thing goes under.

I am trying 20-30miles around my area, I am open to weekend and all other conditions, but nothing goes beyond just sending the resume to keep it for future opening. I don't have any hospital experience, so I doubt they will ever call me.

to be fair it was probably a crappy car and they still had to count that as income and pay income tax on the total value of the new car.

$20K - $40K signing bonuses were common for grads with a bachelor's degree in pharmacy.

Circa 1999.
40,000 USD signing bonus in 1999? that's like 60,000 USD today. You have to be exaggerating

Have you tried Stockton? You can live halfway between SV and Stockton so commute is mildly tolerable. However, no idea how the job market there is now.
The thing with Stockton is that his life insurance premium will skyrocket. That town is a warzone. No job is worth losing your life.

The thing with Stockton is that his life insurance premium will skyrocket. That town is a warzone. No job is worth losing your life.

Eh I moved to Baltimore for a job...is it that much worse?

Eh I moved to Baltimore for a job...is it that much worse?
Nah. If you know Fairfield, Pulaski and Dundalk than you know the type of young thugs i'm talking about. Stockton is the same young kids with guns and time on their hands.

Does getting services that can't be advertised in a phone book count (I'm thinking of the Winslow, AZ and Nogales, AZ Wal-Marts)?

I am trying 20-30miles around my area, I am open to weekend and all other conditions, but nothing goes beyond just sending the resume to keep it for future opening. I don't have any hospital experience, so I doubt they will ever call me.
I think you will need to consider longer commutes than that. Another graduation class will be licensed in 6 months, so have to decide how far you are willing to drive

I think you will need to consider longer commutes than that. Another graduation class will be licensed in 6 months, so have to decide how far you are willing to drive
Yeah try 200-300 miles. That’ll take you to BFE Norcal where there might be jobs.

Sh1t just gets real for upcoming grads LMAO. I got >10 floaters all not even getting 24 hours per week and no one is retiring; most rphs are around 26-55 yr olds.

Reactions: 2 users

20-30 miles is a normal commute for the Bay Area. If you're having trouble now, gotta expand that radius out. Being in Silicon Valley, it's probably easier to go south towards Gilroy or Hollister.

Circa 1999.

I had a buddy who got $30k sign on bonus for a 3 year agreement with WAG in El Paso in 2014. They are still out there, albeit very very rare nowadays

If you want to get your foot in the door, I recommend brushing up on your interviewing skills.

If you're top caliber, and can showcase your skills in an interview, that's all you need.

Ask a DM to give you a chance during an interview (or two), and if you're flexible with floating per diem, you will get your chance to prove yourself.

If you go in expecting a guaranteed job, or expecting 40 hours per week, or expecting to only relocate within X miles, then your opportunities will be limited.

From management standpoint, there is always room for good talent on the team. Hours go to the most flexible and proficient. Ask for a trial period. Then deliver on your promises.

Godspeed

Reactions: 3 users
If you want to get your foot in the door, I recommend brushing up on your interviewing skills.

If you're top caliber, and can showcase your skills in an interview, that's all you need.

Ask a DM to give you a chance during an interview (or two), and if you're flexible with floating per diem, you will get your chance to prove yourself.

If you go in expecting a guaranteed job, or expecting 40 hours per week, or expecting to only relocate within X miles, then your opportunities will be limited.

From management standpoint, there is always room for good talent on the team. Hours go to the most flexible and proficient. Ask for a trial period. Then deliver on your promises.

Godspeed
Exactly. Best way to prove yourself. It used to be the only thing that they wanted was your license and they paid top dollar for it. Now there are dozens of candidates per job posting so they can be a little picky.

I think I am a little confused. You got your license this past August? As in 2018? I know you said you were a foreign grad but how did you work in the east coast for almost 2 years without licensure with the US?

Oops, I apologize for my comment. I didn’t mean to troll to anything bad. I don’t know much about the Bay Area market right now, my apologize again, I just want to give OP some faith by telling what I have known. 2014 was not not a long time ago! Even things are bad now, but it can’t be suddenly went from heaven to hell in just 5years.

The only thing you gave is disillusionment lol

I think I am a little confused. You got your license this past August? As in 2018? I know you said you were a foreign grad but how did you work in the east coast for almost 2 years without licensure with the US?

He or she probably mean 2 years of Pharm school “ rotation site” experience. So pretty much was a technician for two years.

To op,

Your chance of getting a position is almost slim to toothpicks. First, you probably lose points for being a foreign grad. All metro areas at this point are hiring only those who went through their internship program if you’re looking at cvs or Walgreens. You should realistically be looking for positions 50-70 miles outside of San Fran. Consider maybe Fresno or Stockton like others have mention. Independents might consider giving you part time if you’re willing to work for like 40 bucks an hour and no benefits.

I know someone that worked at a CVS pharmacy who sent her resume out and found a position with Walgreens and Kaiser back in December. I am not sure why everyoneis saying things are that gloomy. It's possible that foreign grads are perceived as someone having difficulties in communicating and therefore resumes are screened out before scheduling interviews.

Yeah try 200-300 miles. That’ll take you to BFE Norcal where there might be jobs.
KEK
1361621414_c723d73871_z.jpg

Sh1t just gets real for upcoming grads LMAO. I got >10 floaters all not even getting 24 hours per week and no one is retiring; most rphs are around 26-55 yr olds.

I'm still waiting for floaters to get 10 hours a week LMAO. Look mom and dad i'm a real DOCTOR TM now. I earn 120k a year if i worked 40 hours a week but really i only earn 30k a year due to reduced hours.

He or she probably mean 2 years of Pharm school “ rotation site” experience. So pretty much was a technician for two years.

To op,

Your chance of getting a position is almost slim to toothpicks. First, you probably lose points for being a foreign grad. All metro areas at this point are hiring only those who went through their internship program if you’re looking at cvs or Walgreens. You should realistically be looking for positions 50-70 miles outside of San Fran. Consider maybe Fresno or Stockton like others have mention. Independents might consider giving you part time if you’re willing to work for like 40 bucks an hour and no benefits.
This. It's not 2015 anymore. Why would any pharmacy hire a foreigner that can't speak English that well when there are literally hunderds of new native grads available for cheap? Maybe go back to school for a in demand major like a MD instead of taking the lazy way out. Or follow your wife and actually get a computer science degree not a MEME degree like pharmD.

5 years is a LONG time for pharmacy.

Things that happened since 2014:
-CVS bought Aetna, Target, Omnicare
-Walgreens bought Rite Aid, Duane Reade, Boots, trying to merge with Humana?
-Retail wages drop to low $50s/hr
-Company stock price plunges by nearly 50%
-No raises, crappy bonus if any
-Fight for over 30 hrs/week
-Abysmal tech hours
-Many 24-hr stores converted to non-24 hr
-Many grocery store chains close their pharmacies
-Mass layoffs
-Amazon enters pharmacy market, bought Whole Foods and PillPack
-Many more schools opened with higher tuition

Now pretend it's 2014 and compare to 5 years before that in 2009:
-Far less schools with low tuition and low interest rates
-jobs available in retail, hospital, LTC in desirable areas. The world was your oyster
-Retail chains still expanding aggressively opening new stores everywhere
-No damn immunizations
-Mass hiring
-Generous salary, bonuses, tuition reimbursement, mileage reimbursement for floating, stock options and raises each year. Stocks soar every year
-Plenty of Rph overlap, tech hours, overtime available
-many Independents still in business

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To be precise, I had New Jersey pharmacist license and worked in independent pharmacy there for almost 2 years, then moved to California did my Cpje and got license.

I heard Oroville and Marysville hospitals have jobs. Time to hit the road OP. Seriously.

To be precise, I had New Jersey pharmacist license and worked in independent pharmacy there for almost 2 years, then moved to California did my Cpje and got license.
Independents are notorious for hiring individuals with POOR ENGLISH. Even reading your responses I can tell you have very poor English and probably are unintelligible to the average SF American consumer. "I had New Jersey pharmacist license" "and got license" You need to work on your comprehension of English and pronunciation of words. What was your TOEFL score?

Independents are notorious for hiring individuals with POOR ENGLISH. Even reading your responses I can tell you have very poor English and probably are unintelligible to the average SF American consumer. "I had New Jersey pharmacist license" "and got license" You need to work on your comprehension of English and pronunciation of words. What was your TOEFL score?
TOEFL-ibt was 108

Yowza lol