retail pharm tech or hospital pharm tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatdeals225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm currently a retail tech, has been for 2 years. next fall, i'm going to go to pharm school.. moving away from home.. so i'll have to quit this job...

would it prepare me better for rotations if I found myself a job as a hospital tech during my pharm. schooling since i already have retail experience?

which one is better in terms of pay, work you have to do... stress....etc..?

Members don't see this ad.

Having experienced both retail and hospital, I would definitely pick hospital. The greatest disadvantage to me working in retail was dealing with people griping about insurance, and just dealing with bad customers in general, such as those trying to get needles even though they aren't diabetic.

You also get to learn a lot of new things you don't see in a retail setting, such as IV mixtures.

If you want a slower-paced setting, you can work nights instead, if your schedule permits.

Having experienced both retail and hospital, I would definitely pick hospital. The greatest disadvantage to me working in retail was dealing with people griping about insurance, and just dealing with bad customers in general, such as those trying to get needles even though they aren't diabetic.

You also get to learn a lot of new things you don't see in a retail setting, such as IV mixtures.

If you want a slower-paced setting, you can work nights instead, if your schedule permits.

Not the hospital I worked at!!! Every time I worked, it was 8.5 hours with no restroom breaks. 8 hours + 1/2 hour of my "lunch" break that I never got!!! Maybe it's because I always did IV's. Between mixing the drugs and delivering them all night long....No wonder nobody wanted to do it, they all "made" me do it since it was my "area".