retail pharmacists getting covid 19 vaccine pa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyxisdust

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any information about when/where retail pharmacists in pennsylvania can get the vaccine? no info from my employer yet. According to the schedule (all) pharmacists are in group 1a meaning we should get them first. BUT I see people like pastors getting them before us so I am totally confused and frustrated

Members don't see this ad.

1. I’m in a different state, BUT in my state I was eligible to get it (and did get it) in Phase 1 (healthcare, first responders, nursing home residents). I work inpatient, but retail pharmacists and techs got it too.
2. We’ve moved to Phase 2 vaccination here. So the above + senior citizens are getting it now.

My wife (also an RPh) is getting it from Montgomery County on Wednesday. I signed up for it a few days after her. Being that it's apparent CVS had no plan, I'm going the government route. I am waiting for an email back to schedule my appointment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. There have been unused doses lately at the end of clinics. I guess corporate plan is to damage those out.

Yep. There have been unused doses lately at the end of clinics. I guess corporate plan is to damage those out.
I heard if there is left over shots at the end of day then May be immunizing pharmacist can get their shot. Only “if”, crazy!!

• Sad
My wife (also an RPh) is getting it from Montgomery County on Wednesday. I signed up for it a few days after her. Being that it's apparent CVS had no plan, I'm going the government route. I am waiting for an email back to schedule my appointment.

Did you get a new wife? Thought she was a teacher or soccer coach or something.

Did you get a new wife? Thought she was a teacher or soccer coach or something.
No, she's always been a pharmacist. She was just working part time. And now she's basically disabled from an employment standpoint because she has trigeminal neuralgia and can't wear a mask. She's planning on going back to 20-25 hours a week once the mask requirements go away. Soccer team on long term holding pattern due to pandemic.

**** show with CVS...randomly get offers via group text (only 2 opportunities so far) based on having soon to expire vaccines left over from clinics. Got my first dose by chance (happen to be on my off day)...first come, first serve basis. No definitive answer/appointment offers set up from DL for retail RPhs, techs, store front.

My sister (PA) went the Govt route because her group of MDs don't know **** apparently (only out for themselves as usual)...I mean, come on, it's an ENT setting, so she's all up in peoples' noses and throats on a daily basis (actually got set up an appointment and follow up for dose #2 with state/govt offer)

If it makes you feel better I got a email at work yesterday telling me I can sign up through my county. Thanks PM so I can do exactly what the public can do? Appreciate you too. What a lame route to go.

• Sad
If it makes you feel better I got a email at work yesterday telling me I can sign up through my county. Thanks PM so I can do exactly what the public can do? Appreciate you too. What a lame route to go.

Some of the counties in my state allow you to sign up for appointments online now. You still need to be part of Phase 1a and have to provide proof that you work in a healthcare setting.

Not quite the general public yet and at least those who do not work for a major hospital system (i.e clinics, pharmacies, dental offices, etc) do not get screwed over completely.

sad as f***when your own company won’t vaccinate you but wants you to vaccinate the public

Reactions: 1 users
sad as f***when your own company won’t vaccinate you but wants you to vaccinate the public
Yep, it’s mind boggling, I also feel like it depends on DM too. For example, where I was working, I am pretty sure my DM or PM would hook us up with something. Some of my friends got it while doing LTC vaccines and some had to go to health Department to get it.

CVS's implementation seems quite pathetic (I'm not looking forward to the Walmart rollout with these ****ty "privacy panels" and no space for waiting/observation) but leftover vaccine was always gonna be a problem if you are trying to "de-centralize" vaccine distribution and rollout gonna be slow if you try to allocate doses to maximize finishing the 2-dose series timely. Frankly, different timing of course was not studied but why would it really be an issue in reality tbh

Here's an article on this issue with Safeway offering leftovers to rando customers at the end of the day (LMAO):

How Should Pharmacies Handle Extra Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine?

How does one have 16 (??????) leftover doses that will go to waste if unused though?

CVS's implementation seems quite pathetic (I'm not looking forward to the Walmart rollout with these ****ty "privacy panels" and no space for waiting/observation) but leftover vaccine was always gonna be a problem if you are trying to "de-centralize" vaccine distribution and rollout gonna be slow if you try to allocate doses to maximize finishing the 2-dose series timely. Frankly, different timing of course was not studied but why would it really be an issue in reality tbh

Here's an article on this issue with Safeway offering leftovers to rando customers at the end of the day (LMAO):

How does one have 16 (??????) leftover doses that will go to waste if unused though?

I'd say poor planning on the part of whomever is preparing. Moderna has 10 doses per vial, we draw up 10 at a time based off of need when the next 10 people are up for their appointments. Sometimes we have 2-3 left over after we draw all doses out of the last vial but that is rare.

There will be jerkoffs no-showing for appointments too but 16 shots... we'll prob be required to draw up only when the customer shows up

Oh yes I forgot that I bet Safeway will be doing no other vaccines during this time. Hope Walmart does the same (we still get quite a few flu shot stragglers)

Probably a bunch of no-show appointments. We've had a hell of a time with this even in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd be really careful about publicizing and administering unused doses to the public. You'll likely just get a bunch of people who will try to chase vaccines driving from pharmacy to pharmacy hoping to score the vaccine while exposing themselves and others to the virus. IMO, people would be safer just staying home.

As others's have said, no shows. Problem is there is so much anti-vaccineism. People make appointments and tell their friends, and their there will be that one crazy anti-vax friend who talks them out of it.

Moderna vials are at min 10 doses.