Retake a class or take 2 new classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leaveit2rani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year student about to graduate with my Biology degree (I just need 1 more biology class). However, I also want to graduate with Honors but I found out I needed 5 more Honors credits in biology to do this. Here are my two options:

1) Retake Genetics (which was my lowest science grade with a B+) and take the honors version (5 cr.)

2) Take 2 different, brand new Biology electives with the honors version (6 cr. + $$ on books + new material)

My concern is how medical schools will look at this. I have taken enough biology class and I really don't see the point in taking more than the average student just for honors credit, when I can just retake one class and easily ace. Is there a place on the AMCAS where I can explain that I retook the class only for the honors credit?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be bored taking the same class over again. I would just take new ones.

And there is no place on the AMCAS to explain retaking a class.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

Personally I would take the two newer classes. If I had to retake a lower level science I would definitely be able to ace it, but I would be bored out of my mind

I would not retake a course you got a B+ in. I do not think this will look good to adcoms.
I would go with taking the 2 new courses.