Retake advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurfWaxAmerica

MS not even close
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just had a question if you don't mind.

I transferred from community college to UCLA during Fall 10'. My major is Biochem. I started my first quarter badly, receiving a C- in molecular bio[LS3, lower division]. Should I retake it? If I was to retake, it'd have to be next quarter since its a sequence, LS 1,2,3,4 and if I take LS4 [genetics] then I can't retake molecular bio[LS3].

My sGPA was 3.48 before I entered UCLA. [this includes three Cs in 5-unit lower level classes back in my first two semesters at JC, these three classes were the prereqs to prereqs for med school, the ones you could test out of if you did well enough on the placement exam] Fall quarter I got this C- in molecular bio and a B- in advanced inorganic chem [upper div]. This brought down my sGPA to 3.31. If I retake it and get an A, my sGPA would rise to 3.35, a difference of 0.04. Is it worth it?

Thank you for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

But will you get that A? new teacher means new tests and maybe new material so it might not be an easy A.

Take LS4 with merriam and I'll be your Undergrad Assistant

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it easy on the c's why dontcha? Especally the community college level classes...really. You should be getting straight A's in that ****.

Rteakes: If it's a difference of 0.04 in gpa points then, don't waste your time. Your gpa might change more if you are applying to DO programs. Just take it into consideration (please no one start a argument about this here).

It sounds like you're struggling and might benefit from considering another major. No offense but why make things hard on yourself???

Algebra 1 - C
Algebra 2 - C
Stats - A
Trig - A
Pre-calc - A
Calc 1, 2 - A's
Multi Variable Calc - A

Intro to Chem - C
Gen Chem 1, 2 - A's
Organic 1, 2 - A's

Bio 1 - A
Bio 2 - B

So my sGPA isn't high but I have a huge upwards trend, those three C's in the beginning are what is bringing it down so much. I thought I would be able to explain myself later and that they wouldn't weigh much because they weren't even pre-req level classes.

The molecular bio class grade was from my immaturity, I got caught up in the partying lifestyle too much.

Hey guys. I just had a question if you don't mind.

I transferred from community college to UCLA during Fall 10'. My major is Biochem. I started my first quarter badly, receiving a C- in molecular bio[LS3, lower division]. Should I retake it? If I was to retake, it'd have to be next quarter since its a sequence, LS 1,2,3,4 and if I take LS4 [genetics] then I can't retake molecular bio[LS3].

My sGPA was 3.48 before I entered UCLA. [this includes three Cs in 5-unit lower level classes back in my first two semesters at JC, these three classes were the prereqs to prereqs for med school, the ones you could test out of if you did well enough on the placement exam] Fall quarter I got this C- in molecular bio and a B- in advanced inorganic chem [upper div]. This brought down my sGPA to 3.31. If I retake it and get an A, my sGPA would rise to 3.35, a difference of 0.04. Is it worth it?

Thank you for any help.

I transferred from a CC to my current school. I got a C (class average) in the same class you did, but I chose not to retake it. The first semester can be a bit tough when you transfer to a much more competitive school, so I think you'll be fine. I chose to make up for it with A's in upper level classes (Organic Chem, Neurobiology classes, and others). If you can just do that and manage a good BS score on your MCAT I doubt it will kill you in admissions. If you have time to kill then I suppose you could retake it, but that wasn't an option for me.