Retake... Books??? please help***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I will be retaking the MCAT, and I need some advice.

I only used TPR books last summer because I took the course, along with EK 101 VR. However, I did not do well in VR and did mediocre in the sciences... (10/9...)

I was averaging a lot higher for PS (12-15) and for Bio, I was only able to score between 9-11, mostly under 11.

Thus, do you guys think I need to get additional books such as TBR/EK books? I got another brand new set of TPR review books, but I've done most of the questions, and not sure if it is a good idea to go over them again

I am currently using:
TPR for physics, o-chem, g-chem
EK 1001 for bio
TPR, EK,kaplan and TBR for verbal

I'm really not sure if it's worth getting TBR for the sciences, although money is not really an issue.

What do you guys think? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think EK 101 would be your best bet for verbal again since you've completed it. Many people here favor TBR for genchem, orgo, and physics, EK bio and EK 1001 for bio, and EK 101 and TPR hyperlearning verbal wkbk for verbal. I've heard kaplan's verbal is not very helpful.

Hey everyone,

So I will be retaking the MCAT, and I need some advice.

I only used TPR books last summer because I took the course, along with EK 101 VR. However, I did not do well in VR and did mediocre in the sciences... (10/9...)

I was averaging a lot higher for PS (12-15) and for Bio, I was only able to score between 9-11, mostly under 11.

Thus, do you guys think I need to get additional books such as TBR/EK books? I got another brand new set of TPR review books, but I've done most of the questions, and not sure if it is a good idea to go over them again

I am currently using:
TPR for physics, o-chem, g-chem
EK 1001 for bio
TPR, EK,kaplan and TBR for verbal

I'm really not sure if it's worth getting TBR for the sciences, although money is not really an issue.

What do you guys think? Thanks

I don't think EK 101 would be your best bet for verbal again since you've completed it. Many people here favor TBR for genchem, orgo, and physics, EK bio and EK 1001 for bio, and EK 101 and TPR hyperlearning verbal wkbk for verbal. I've heard kaplan's verbal is not very helpful.

I second this exactly. TBR is the best for physics, general chemistry, and orgo, so they are must buys. EK for their bio book and either EK 1001, TPRH workbook, or TBR book for passages and questions should be fine. For verbal, do whatever you haven't done before.

I second this exactly. TBR is the best for physics, general chemistry, and orgo, so they are must buys. EK for their bio book and either EK 1001, TPRH workbook, or TBR book for passages and questions should be fine. For verbal, do whatever you haven't done before.

Yes I forgot about TPRH science workbook; it contains tons of passages (but just PS and BS, no verbal sections)

any other thoughts?

I asked my friend who bought TBR who lives in BC Canada, and he said it cost A LOT of money for shipping... so I guess this would be a problem if I want to order VR and the science books...

is it really that necessary to get TBR OChem GChem and Physics? I mean I am going to go over TPR hyperlearning book again (which i've done 90% already last summer, but I just got a brand new book, along with EK 1001 for BIO).

I just don't want to spend another $250+ along with shipping that costs $100-200 apparently...

Thanks