Retake C- molec bio or take genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdroidxw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
got a C- in molec/develop. bio.
There are no other "higher level" courses specific to molec/develop for non-bio majors.
I can, at most, take genetics and another semester of biochem( emphasis of molec bio) [non-weedout]
OR
retake the course (weedout).

What would be the better option? Would that even satisfy the "premed requirement" if i take the extra bio courses?

Members don't see this ad.

got a C- in molec/develop. bio.
There are no other "higher level" courses specific to molec/develop for non-bio majors.
I can, at most, take genetics and another semester of biochem( emphasis of molec bio) [non-weedout]
OR
retake the course (weedout).

What would be the better option? Would that even satisfy the "premed requirement" if i take the extra bio courses?

I am pretty sure that med schools do not consider C- a passing grade for a prerequisite course. I would retake it when you get the chance.

Reactions: 1 user
I am pretty sure that med schools do not consider C- a passing grade for a prerequisite course. I would retake it when you get the chance.

C grade is passing. Not sure what planet you live on.

Members don't see this ad :)
C grade is passing. Not sure what planet you live on.

It's a c- and some med schools don't accept that. Calm down.

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/medical-school/admissions/apply/process/prerequisites.html

• A grade of C or better in all all biology courses applied toward a baccalaureate degree in a traditional science field
So OP, don't know if the class you got a C- in was a prerequisite but you may be risking having AdCom email and ask you to retake that course if it is.

Last edited:
C-, C and C+ are all classified as C grades.
No, not everywhere. My school puts C-, and many medical schools specify that it is unsatisfactory to have a C- or below in a pre-req course, so you need to retake and get a C or above. OP, I do not believe you need to retake that course if it is not a pre-req.