Retake Calculus from 2009 or Take Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on whether or not I should retake calculus or move on to statistics. I took calculus in 2009 and ended up with a B-. I'm getting ready to finish my post-bac classes and I am wondering if it is worth it to retake calculus or instead move on to statistics? I took precalculus this past year in preparation for calculus. Thank you in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I took calculus 10 years ago and was a little indignant about having to take it again this year thinking that I remembered a lot of the concepts - boy, was I wrong!

I've never taken stats, so I can't say how much of calculus is used. However, I found it to be a good idea to retake calculus anyway. Of course, it's up to you whether you would like to spend the time and money on retaking the course.

Don't retake calc - it won't help the B- even if you get an A, it only brings you to a B+ ((4 cr x 2.7) + (4 cr x 4.0))/2 = 3.35; the advice typically given is don't repeat anything less than a C.

Stats will be helpful, I think. Did you take genetics, or cell bio or micro bio or ???

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why on earth would you retake calculus? Without grade replacement, it counts the same as sociology or some ecology fluff.

Stats will help you a little on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the replies! Generally speaking, I wasn't interested in retaking calculus for the impact it would have on my gpa. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.8 and my post bac GPA has been a 3.75. I was thinking about retaking it as it is a required course for many of the schools I am applying to and I disliked the idea of having a B- in a required class. If the consensus is IPA more recent grade isn't needed I will avoid it and take stats or an upper level chemistry course.

Ad2b: at extension? I've taken evo and cell bio (highly recommend cell bio). I'm planning on taking either molecular bio or genetics this spring while studying for the MCAT.

Ad2b: at extension?

I have no idea what you're referring to?

What schools are you applying to that require calc? (not many do, that's why I'm asking)

Have you taken physiology?

Agree with the question on which schools, because most don't require it. If you're trying to get into some of the moreresearch intensive programs that require it, might be worth considering, but if the rest of yiur app and prereqs are strong, it might not be worth the time/money.

Stats, especially biostats will be immensely useful throughout your medical career.

I have no idea what you're referring to?

What schools are you applying to that require calc? (not many do, that's why I'm asking)

Have you taken physiology?

Sorry, should've been more clear. Several require calc or stats: USC, Georgetown, UMass, OHSU, Mt Sinai, Albert Einstein.

I have not taken physiology yet.

Have you purchased the MSAR?

USC - Keck?

Are you a MA resident?

Edited:

U Mass does not require calc (recommended)

Georgetown does not require calc (specifically states that; stats IS recommended)

Sorry, should've been more clear. Several require calc or stats: USC, Georgetown, UMass, OHSU, Mt Sinai, Albert Einstein.

I have not taken physiology yet.
How old is your MSAR?
Some of those listed have no pre-reqs at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
stats is always useful for physicians, we all are expected to read and assess literature in our fields

Reactions: 1 users
stats is always useful for physicians, we all are expected to read and assess literature in our fields
it's kind of "fun" that the CEO of the multi specialty I work for is a doc; he doesn't much like JCOM, or JAMA, or NEJOM, or Healthcare Administration magazines so, about every Friday night, they mysteriously end up on my desk and I somehow, at some point, read them...

ALL. Stats!

"90% of the population with a p<=.05 have NO adverse contraindications with these other 17 types of medications, however, .05% of the population with a ...." basically, the med is like taking sugar :laugh:

How old is your MSAR?
Some of those listed have no pre-reqs at all!

2015... I guess it's time to check out the updated version!

Thank you all for your input! I'm going to take stats and skip retaking calc.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on whether or not I should retake calculus or move on to statistics. I took calculus in 2009 and ended up with a B-. I'm getting ready to finish my post-bac classes and I am wondering if it is worth it to retake calculus or instead move on to statistics? I took precalculus this past year in preparation for calculus. Thank you in advance for your input.
If it has to be one or the other, take statistics! Much more useful (in my opinion) for a physician.

I also believe stats is required by more schools than calc...