1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Retake/Cancellation Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RazielSRAA, Jul 24, 2006.

1. RazielSRAA

RazielSRAA New Member

Pre-Medical
    Heya everybody,

I wanted to retake the MCAT in August, but I don't want all my schools to ignore my application until my scores come in in October, which would basically waste 3 months of time they could be looking at it with the rolling admissions.

Like an idiot, I marked that I was planning on taking it on the AMCAS app (thanks to my premed advisor), so basically all my apps are on hold and it really sucks. With a 32Q and a 3.8 Science, 3.85 Overall GPA, I would probably be in an decent position based on my April scores, but my extracurriculars are only avg, so I was hoping to bring up my score without screwing me out of 3 months!

Any advice on what I should do? Cancel it (I'm already registered for August), eat the 3 wasted months, or maybe some sort of miraculous alternative?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

While I can't give you advice on every school, some schools specifically ask this question on their secondary application.

For example, Penn State asks

If you plan to take, or have taken, the August MCAT, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)?
    -NO, begin processing my application immediately
    -YES, wait for my August MCAT scores
    -I do not plan to take or have not taken the August MCAT

4. joanofarc0907

joanofarc0907 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not sure, but is there a way to ask AMCAS to remove that? I dont know if I would even bother retaking it, you already have a good score. I think the earlier application is more important than 1 or 2 points higher on the MCAT

5. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ouch! You need to contact every school you applied to and tell them you are not retaking ASAP!

And why would you retake with a 32? Are you nuts? Or are you just trying to get into Harvard?

6. zach1201

zach1201 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You shot yourself in the foot there cowboy. Sorry to hear about that.

What I would do is make the best of a bad situation and knock the August MCAT out of the ballpark. You already know your stuff receiving a 32Q, just work on your week points. Best of luck.

7. RazielSRAA

RazielSRAA New Member

Pre-Medical
    gapotts2003
    yeah under normal circumstances I probably wouldn't have any qualms about keeping my 32, but I'm applying at the same time as my fiancee is to Law school, so I have to manage to get into a med school near a good law school. She's got like a crazy 3.96 gpa and wins international debate tourneys, so I was lookiing to do everything I can to stay competitive, haha.

zach1201
    The worst thing about this is that I was planning on putting no on my AMCAS, but when I asked my pre-med advisor she was like well if you're pretty sure you're gonna take it, then put yes, and, being the idiot I am, I didn't trust my instincts and listened.

8. butmylipshurtrealbad

butmylipshurtrealbad Coolesteverclubmem4life
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I pretty much ran into this situation last year because I didn't want to retake after a had already marked I would, but I ended up sucking it up and geting the exact same score as the first time (I would not recommend this route!!!)-- Luckily, your situation is fixable. Your GPA and MCAT are solid. If you aren't absolutely sure that you are ready to retake, have taken the time/had the time to improve, then email all of your schools to let them know you are not retaking. Don't blame your premed advisor when doing so though, just explain your mistake and why you have changed your mind. Good luck:) PM if you have any q's