Retake Comparison DAT Breakdown (6/26/2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DenTalFluoride

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post here. Studying throughout June, I felt all the breakdowns and tips posted here have tremendously kept me motivated. Since I benefited from them, I hope I can give back with my own advice and what worked for me!

Scores from 1st to 2nd:
PAT 16 -> 26
QR 16 -> 19
RC 21 -> 23
BIO 23 -> 23
GC 20 -> 23
OC 16 -> 22
TS 20 -> 23
AA 19 -> 22

Some background, I started studying during the summer of 2016. Unfortunately, I was also balancing a summer class per session and I ended up burning out before the July exam and postponed to Thanksgiving break. Of course, I barely studied during the fall semester and was basically forced to take the DAT with only a few days of quality preparation due to not being able to postpone further to December. Moral of the story: avoid taking summer classes while DAT studying and know your possible timeframe before postponing!

For this time around, I knew if I made my study schedule too spread out, I will burn out and retain less information in the long haul. So I condensed the Bootcamp 10 week schedule into 4 weeks with no rest days and did my best to follow. It did get very stressful once I got to doing Destroyer questions.

PAT: Bootcamp is all you need to practice! I was using CDP before, but the keyholes and pattern folding were too easy compared to the actual PAT. CDP is a great resource to start with and familiarize with each PAT section, but don't depend on it! The hardest section for me were keyholes and angles. The right click elimination of answers is crucial for both these section for speed. Keyholes require diligence to details while angles need to be drilled. A week before my exam, I was using the angle generator every night before bed. I used a combination of techniques such as the rapid eye, hill steepness, and then complement/supplement angles if all else fails.

QR: I've always been slightly mathematically handicapped (had to Q drop Calc 2 twice, whoops). Studying for this section was very discouraging and required some persistence. Although I only did the first 5 Math Destroyer exams, I went through most of the QR through Bootcamp. I was very nervous about the QR Comparison, but those were actually the gimme points! Also, learn how to use the calculator function! You can shave off minutes by using MS, M+, etc although I still ran out of time in the end.

RC: I never liked the idea of the Search and Destroy method. It seemed too stressful and could be risky. Instead, I read every passage within at least 5 minutes and frantically highlight as I go. I got super lucky with two neurobio (my major) passages which I zoomed through because the last passage about bridges and was very difficult. The trick overall is to convince/lie to yourself that the passage is really interesting.

BIO: With a great background in biology, I didn't focus too much on this section. I did go through and highlight both Feralis and Ty's Biology notes. Also, I had very detailed notes from the Kaplan Blue Book that I would periodically read to refresh. Of course, some questions from Destroyer and BC is perfect to gauge where you need to focus. Make a list of mnemonics as you go through the material and compile them all into one sheet of paper! It'll come in very useful when cramming the last few days. Also I got like three questions that I knew thanks to DATQVAULT.

GC/OC: Chad's videos and quizzes are very helpful for a solid foundation. I would take notes on the outline and focus on concepts and how to apply equations rather than trying to memorizing each type of questions. I found this helped me with problems which I wasn't exactly sure what they're asking for during the DAT. After the few hundreds of problems from Destroyer and BC, you should be good to go. Similar to biology, write down any concepts and relationships you're struggling with into one piece of paper.

The week before the exam, I did the five full length exams from bootcamp and treated it exactly like I was taking the real DAT. I took the practice exams at exactly the same time as my real DAT (12pm). An hour before each full length, I would review my notes and sheets of papers with concepts I was struggling with. When you're done, make sure to review the entire exam as best as you can. The weekend before the exam, I skimmed and reviewed the Destroyer problems I did and BC. Many people insist to not study the day before the DAT. But really, do what works best for you and treat it like any other exam in undergrad. For me, I have to go through the material to feel refreshed and confident, but ended up doing 12 hours of studying Sunday. Don't feel ashamed looking at your notes right before the DAT either, I might have answered at least three science questions correctly just from lightly reviewing the morning before. As evident from my QR though, fatigue did eventually set in so you know yourself better than anyone else and decide for yourself.

This breakdown turned out to be much longer than anticipated. I hope this could be somewhat useful to someone out there. A few closing advice: get a good night sleep, don't schedule your DAT in the morning if you tend to get anxious at night, eat healthy, avoid drinking alcohol until after, and most important of all, aim high, keep calm, and psych yourself up before!

e9d4b076bab8b7c5cdba0a456329bf5b.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add, I would also listen to Chad's bio videos while driving or walking. You'll be surprised how much you accidentally pick up from this! Also for PAT on the go, if you have an iphone, look up DAT Angle Ranking and Hole Punching by Bao Tran on the AppStore.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Awesome breakdown and amazing scores! That PAT jump though :eek:
Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
Nice! wth does the M and M+ function do lol? I'd like to shave off some minutes as well mate. :)

Great scores. Congratulations.
Your pat score is fantastic. Thank you for sharing this breakdown tips with us.
Best of luck.
I have some questions.

• Compared to the real dat, what do you think RC on bootcamp, also Pat, especially keyholes,TFE and patterns, were they harder than the real test?
  • You said you would take your test in similar conditions and time. Did you take it in a public library or somewhere like starbucks or Barnes and Nobels?
  • One final question, compared to a public library, is the testing center quieter or noisier.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! wth does the M and M+ function do lol? I'd like to shave off some minutes as well mate. :)
A YouTube video would explain it much better than me. But MS stores a number (1/4=0.25), M+ adds a number to the stored MS (0.25+0.50). You can subtract from MS by "+/-" to convert the positive number into negative then M+ (0.25-0.50). Then MR allows to recall the exact number from MS. MC clears the value stored in MS.

Great scores. Congratulations.
Your pat score is fantastic. Thank you for sharing this breakdown tips with us.
Best of luck.
I have some questions.

• Compared to the real dat, what do you think RC on bootcamp, also Pat, especially keyholes,TFE and patterns, were they harder than the real test?
  • You said you would take your test in similar conditions and time. Did you take it in a public library or somewhere like starbucks or Barnes and Nobels?
  • One final question, compared to a public library, is the testing center quieter or noisier.
RC on bootcamp was more difficult due to the questions asked. There was less T/F and related statement questions, but more searching. The passages can vary though.

The keyholes was comparable to BC especially due to the rock questions or shapes with many projections. But the TFE and patterns were slightly more easier and less tricky.

I took my practice exams at a local Starbucks because of their good wifi. It basically became my second home last week. And the testing center were quiet, but maybe too quiet! I started to feel self-conscious constantly clicking my mouse while highlighting in RC and had to put on the noise cancelling headphone provided to forget I was making a lot of noise

Wow such an awesome jump in scores!! Sorry for all my questions but i'm currently panicking lolol

QR is also my weak point right now and my exam is on Saturday...what would you recommend going through in these last couple days for QR?

For bio... would you recommend skimming through cliffs again? Or focusing on BC practice exam answers? Or reading all through Destroyer?

Did you take the 2007/2009 practice exams? If so, how did they compare?

Thankss and congrats!!

First post here. Studying throughout June, I felt all the breakdowns and tips posted here have tremendously kept me motivated. Since I benefited from them, I hope I can give back with my own advice and what worked for me!

Scores from 1st to 2nd:
PAT 16 -> 26
QR 16 -> 19
RC 21 -> 23
BIO 23 -> 23
GC 20 -> 23
OC 16 -> 22
TS 20 -> 23
AA 19 -> 22

Some background, I started studying during the summer of 2016. Unfortunately, I was also balancing a summer class per session and I ended up burning out before the July exam and postponed to Thanksgiving break. Of course, I barely studied during the fall semester and was basically forced to take the DAT with only a few days of quality preparation due to not being able to postpone further to December. Moral of the story: avoid taking summer classes while DAT studying and know your possible timeframe before postponing!

For this time around, I knew if I made my study schedule too spread out, I will burn out and retain less information in the long haul. So I condensed the Bootcamp 10 week schedule into 4 weeks with no rest days and did my best to follow. It did get very stressful once I got to doing Destroyer questions.

PAT: Bootcamp is all you need to practice! I was using CDP before, but the keyholes and pattern folding were too easy compared to the actual PAT. The hardest section for me were keyholes and angles. The right click elimination of answers is crucial for both these section for speed. Keyholes require diligence to details while angles need to be drilled. A week before my exam, I was using the angle generator every night before bed. I used a combination of techniques such as the rapid eye, hill steepness, and then complement/supplement angles if all else fails.

QR: I've always been slightly mathematically handicapped (had to Q drop Calc 2 twice, whoops). Studying for this section was very discouraging and required some persistence. Although I only did the first 5 Math Destroyer exams, I went through most of the QR through Bootcamp. I was very nervous about the QR Comparison, but those were actually the gimme points! Also, learn how to use the calculator function! You can shave off minutes by using MS, M+, etc although I still ran out of time in the end.

RC: I never liked the idea of the Search and Destroy method. It seemed too stressful and could be risky. Instead, I read every passage within at least 5 minutes and frantically highlight as I go. I got super lucky with two neurobio (my major) passages which I zoomed through because the last passage about bridges and was very difficult. The trick overall is to convince/lie to yourself that the passage is really interesting.

BIO: With a great background in biology, I didn't focus too much on this section. I did go through and highlight both Feralis and Ty's Biology notes. Also, I had very detailed notes from the Kaplan Blue Book that I would periodically read to refresh. Of course, some questions from Destroyer and BC is perfect to gauge where you need to focus. Make a list of mnemonics as you go through the material and compile them all into one sheet of paper! It'll come in very useful when cramming the last few days.

GC/OC: Chad's videos and quizzes are very helpful for a solid foundation. I would take notes on the outline and focus on concepts and how to apply equations rather than trying to memorizing each type of questions. I found this helped me with problems which I wasn't exactly sure what they're asking for during the DAT. After the few hundreds of problems from Destroyer and BC, you should be good to go. Similar to biology, write down any concepts and relationships you're struggling with into one piece of paper.

The week before the exam, I did the five full length exams from bootcamp and treated it exactly like I was taking the real DAT. I took the practice exams at exactly the same time as my real DAT (12pm). An hour before each full length, I would review my notes and sheets of papers with concepts I was struggling with. When you're done, make sure to review the entire exam as best as you can. The weekend before the exam, I skimmed and reviewed the Destroyer problems I did and BC. Many people insist to not study the day before the DAT. But really, do what works best for you and treat it like any other exam in undergrad. For me, I have to go through the material to feel refreshed and confident, but ended up doing 12 hours of studying Sunday. Don't feel ashamed looking at your notes right before the DAT either, I might have answered at least three science questions correctly just from lightly reviewing the morning before. As evident from my QR though, fatigue did eventually set in so you know yourself better than anyone else and decide for yourself.

This breakdown turned out to be much longer than anticipated. I hope this could be somewhat useful to someone out there. A few closing advice: get a good night sleep, don't schedule your DAT in the morning if you tend to get anxious at night, eat healthy, avoid drinking alcohol until after, and most important of all, aim high, keep calm, and psych yourself up before!

e9d4b076bab8b7c5cdba0a456329bf5b.jpg

great improvement. congrats on the scores!!

So great improvement and score! Congrats! I do have 3 simple questions: 1) is "the right click elimination" in both PAT and RC sections? 2) is the calculator same as the Windows one, which can do a simple "+,-,* or /"? 3) were questions in the order in RC part in your test? Thanks!

Wow such an awesome jump in scores!! Sorry for all my questions but i'm currently panicking lolol

QR is also my weak point right now and my exam is on Saturday...what would you recommend going through in these last couple days for QR?

For bio... would you recommend skimming through cliffs again? Or focusing on BC practice exam answers? Or reading all through Destroyer?

Did you take the 2007/2009 practice exams? If so, how did they compare?

Thankss and congrats!!
I reviewed the five exams of Math Destroyer two days before (Saturday) and did my best to make sure I knew how to do most of the problems. I had to be honest with myself. If it required too much effort, then it probably wasn't worth the time anymore. I was more aiming to cover more material then getting bogged down with details.

I would also constantly write formulas for area/volume, the trig table from Chad's video, metric conversions, and permutation/combination equations to drill them in. But personally, this was a wasted effort since I only had one basic trigonometry and zero permutation type question. Everyone's exam will vary through.

For Bio, I actually didn't use Cliff. I had Kaplan Blue Book from last summer and reviewed my written notes before sleeping Sunday. Also looked over Bio Destroyer earlier that afternoon. For BC, I had it spread out throughout the week.

I didn't do the 2007/2009 practice exams. I had the choice to do one Saturday, but I didn't think it was worth it. Personally, I needed to review my notes and focus on the materials I was uncomfortable with.

Also if you need practice with the QR Comparison questions, I did the first 40/80 comparisons from bootcamp Sunday. It definitely boosted my confidence with them.

Really, time management and endurance play a big role too. I should have worked on it better on my part. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reviewed the five exams of Math Destroyer two days before (Saturday) and did my best to make sure I knew how to do most of the problems. I had to be honest with myself. If it required too much effort, then it probably wasn't worth the time anymore. I was more aiming to cover more material then getting bogged down with details.

I would also constantly write formulas for area/volume, the trig table from Chad's video, metric conversions, and permutation/combination equations to drill them in. But personally, this was a wasted effort since I only had one basic trigonometry and zero permutation type question. Everyone's exam will vary through.

For Bio, I actually didn't use Cliff. I had Kaplan Blue Book from last summer and reviewed my written notes before sleeping Sunday. Also looked over Bio Destroyer earlier that afternoon. For BC, I had it spread out throughout the week.

I didn't do the 2007/2009 practice exams. I had the choice to do one Saturday, but I didn't think it was worth it. Personally, I needed to review my notes and focus on the materials I was uncomfortable with.

Also if you need practice with the QR Comparison questions, I did the first 40/80 comparisons from bootcamp Sunday. It definitely boosted my confidence with them.

Really, time management and endurance play a big role too. I should have worked on it better on my part. Best of luck!

At this point im trying to decide whether its worth it to re-do all BC tests and really drill that stuff in... or work on DAT Destroyer QR section. Do you think the real DAT was more similar to bootcamp? Would that be better use of time?!

At this point im trying to decide whether its worth it to re-do all BC tests and really drill that stuff in... or work on DAT Destroyer QR section. Do you think the real DAT was more similar to bootcamp? Would that be better use of time?!

I really liked BC due to the nice mix of QR comparisons. As for the content, I can't really decide. I got questions I was familiar with thanks to the Destroyer but also questions due to bootcamp.

But I'm probably not the best person to be giving tips regarding QR since it was my worst score.

So great improvement and score! Congrats! I do have 3 simple questions: 1) is "the right click elimination" in both PAT and RC sections? 2) is the calculator same as the Windows one, which can do a simple "+,-,* or /"? 3) were questions in the order in RC part in your test? Thanks!

During the exam, you can right click any answer choice which crosses it out. This helps to keep track which answers are wrong. Bootcamp practice sections allows you do this and the calculator is also exactly like bootcamp.

Usually RC questions that were from the same paragraph were asked back to back. But the order they ask will vary.