Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

retake courses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by blike, Jul 23, 2002.

1. blike

blike Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I had an earlier post here regarding my craptastic freshman year. Anyhow, I'm going to be retaking the two science courses that crushed my science GPA. What do the medical schools think about retaking courses? Does the old GPA still weigh in on my overall GPA on the applications? Is there any reason i shoult NOT retake courses? BTW they are low-level science courses.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorDoogie4

DoctorDoogie4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I feel your pain. My freshman year was horrible as well. I finished out my year with a 1.99 GPA. I did re-take some science courses that I had bombed in to re-learn the material better. However, I suggest that you not only re-take them but take other higher level science courses and kick butt in them. I talked to one admissions officer and he reccomended this strategy. Plus, if you didn't do well in your lower level science courses, how would they expect you to have a solid foundation to succeed in the higher level courses. Just don't make a habit of repeating all science courses unless you have extenuating circumstances.

4. blike

blike Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm only planning on retaking these two. Its not that I couldn't do well, its that my priorities weren't straight. Hopefully these will be the last two courses I repeat :eek: