Retake DATs? Need some SDN opinions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennijai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a few opinions on whether I should retake the DATs or not. I applied for the 08 cycle last year and had only 1 interview with Boston U. I was wait listed and never heard back, thus I went with plan B, get my Masters.

So now I just finished a semester of my Masters (MA) in Biological Sciences. My GPA now is 3.67 compared to my undergrad GPA of 3.0. I have another semester before I graduate and obtain my Masters. I plan on reapplying next May for the '10 cycle. (Schools on my list so far, Columbia, NYU, Stony, Buffalo, Boston U, Tufts, and Temple)

My DAT score is 19 AA (Bio 19, Chem 17, Orgo 20, QR 17, RC 21), 19 TS, and 21 PAT. Did plenty of extracurricular activities (Pres. Pre-Dental Club, TA for Bio, volunteer at nursing home, and have around 30+ hours of shadowing under my belt).

So back to the question, should I retake the DATs and try to get that 20+ AA or not risk it?

Members don't see this ad.

The 19/19/21 with nothing lower then a 17 on your DAT is pretty good (AA/TS is prob 85-89 percentile and PAT is prob 90+). Since you applied before I assume this is the second time you have taken the DAT and that these scores are better. If that is the case I wouldn't retake, it's risky, because some schools only look at your most recent DAT. If you do poorly your 3rd time it's going to be a hassle to be able to take it the 4th time. As far as your GPA is concerned, I think you are good since you will complete masters and seem to be doing well...
I say....
1. Don't retake the DAT
2. Apply early (hit submit before June 2nd)
3. Apply to more schools
4. Keep up the good grades
5. Practice answering interview questions

I say....
1. Don't retake the DAT
3. Apply to more schools

Just out of curiosity, why June 2nd? why not 1st? or the 4th? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine after you complete your Masters degree. There is no need for you to re-take the DAT. Just apply early and you should be good to go.

Just out of curiosity, why June 2nd? why not 1st? or the 4th? :D

June first is the first day to submit, so I said at the latest the 2nd. I don't know, should of just said the 1st. There is probably no difference between hitting submit on the 1st to the 15th. :thumbup:

if your gpa is a 3.6ish before your second semester of masters, then i would say that your dat scores are adequate. although, that is just my opinion. a generic recommendation is apply early. it doesnt have to be june 2nd, but dont wait until august to have all of your seconday apps in. dont do anything stupid, and i think that everything should turn out alright.

Last edited:
The 19/19/21 with nothing lower then a 17 on your DAT is pretty good (AA/TS is prob 85-89 percentile and PAT is prob 90+). Since you applied before I assume this is the second time you have taken the DAT and that these scores are better. If that is the case I wouldn't retake, it's risky, because some schools only look at your most recent DAT. If you do poorly your 3rd time it's going to be a hassle to be able to take it the 4th time. As far as your GPA is concerned, I think you are good since you will complete masters and seem to be doing well...
I say....
1. Don't retake the DAT
3. Apply to more schools

I took the DATs only once, and yes planning early is on my list of things to do.

See if you can bring your 3.67 to a 3.8. Do that, and I don't think you'll need a retake, just applied broadly.

Even though, everybody is saying stick with it. If you feel confident you could do better, go ahead and retake it. I am sure with your Masters education behind you should do better. With 19, you will be lucky to get into couple of scores if you just do a little better you will be able to choose where you go.

With a 19aa and a 3.0 undergrad gpa, I dont see you getting into Stony or Columbia.

If I don't make it in this round I'm gonna retake the DATs too. I studied last minute, and did not really prepare for my math or RC portion, and I'm sure I could have done better on the PATs too. IF you think you can do better then might as well try it.

I am leaning towards a retake but what scares me is that I don't have a lot of time on my hands due to the MA program and the completion of my research paper to graduate this May...decisions, decisions...

I'll probably study hardcore in the next month and see where I stand (good thing i remember most of the material). Top score, Shaum's, and Destroyer, here I come. Thanks for everyone's opinion, and happy holidays guys/gals.

June 1st is not the first day to submit applications. I submitted mine in May. AADSAS opened on May 15th so I had all my stuff together and submitted it within the week. I think it made a huge difference because I interviewed on the first interview date at almost every school I interviewed at. So, submit early and have your letters of recommendation and transcripts ready to send!

Also, I would check on the schools to see if your DAT is still going to be valid. I know some schools don't accept them if they are more than 2 years old so you may be cutting it close. If you continue to raise your GPA then your scores will probably get you some interviews. But it is becoming extremely competitive and 20 is the new 19 since there is such a large applicant pool.

Good luck!

If there's a specific school you really want to get into, then re-take. If you're fine going wherever then you should be good. Good luck.

If you're going to reapply, you should retake the DAT and submit on May 15. I believe that, although the scores averages are beginning to level off a bit, they will continue to go up a bit next cycle. Thus, 19AA is borderline. I think 20 will be the magic number next cycle (and perhaps this cycle as well).

If you're going to reapply, you should retake the DAT and submit on May 15. I believe that, although the scores averages are beginning to level off a bit, they will continue to go up a bit next cycle. Thus, 19AA is borderline. I think 20 will be the magic number next cycle (and perhaps this cycle as well).

Do you have to wait for either your AADSAS GPA to be calculated or to have the "transcript received" status in your application to submit?

Or can you submit your application without either of them?

to be honest i think u should be fine...but if u end up deciding that ur goin to take it again..make sure u can do a lot better or else it would be pointless and could hurt u if u get a lower score...best wishes 2 u my friend

which MA MS program are you at? BU? and if BU are u doing the oral health concentration?