Retake due to score expiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemgirl97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks, I'm currently in-cycle and starting to craft a contingency plan should the situation not pan out in my favor. How do adcoms look at a third MCAT attempt when the prior ones have since expired? This is my first admissions cycle and I had originally planned to apply to schools a year or two ago but did an SMP instead, hence the expiring scores. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Having to retake due to scores expiring is a reality that adcoms understand. Ideally one would like to see, perhaps even expect to see, improvement upon each MCAT attempt. That being said, I would not worry about how adcoms may react as you either will need to retake it or you won't. If you do, that's fine, devise a plan using what you know from your prior attempts to put yourself in the best possible position to earn your highest score. If you don't, then congratulations, you've been accepted to medical school and are one step further along the path to becoming a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably not an issue. I took twice as an undergrad (under old scoring) and got 29 and 30.

I then went to grad school. Those scores expired and I retook and got a 37. As mentioned above, try to do that and get an improvement. Otherwise, they should generally understand expiring of scores as long as they are reassured that they expired for a legit reason (like not just someone taking it then being lazy about applying).

Reactions: 1 user