retake in august or april?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DEG

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I have been quietly following different discussions. As mid June rolls around the corner, I am actually not feeling anxious at all. I did that bad!

Although I meant to start studying for MCAT, I have been real busy at work. I worked through the long weekend and all. Fortunately, I will not be that busy after another week or so.

So if I do badly in my April MCAT, I am debating whether I should take the August one. Or should I take some more classes and take the April MCAT.

The reason I am inclined towards april 06 is that my undergrad GPA is around 3.0. I did very well in my pre-med courses in last couple of years. By taking extra courses, I can show that I can do well in advanced bio, chem courses as well.

If I decide to re-take it in August, I will have only 8 weeks for that. I feel like I should prepare really really well for my next try.

Well, lets hope I don't have to re-take it :)

Thank you for your time. You have been so much more than kind.
Shahab

Members don't see this ad.

shahab said:
Hi all:

I have been quietly following different discussions. As mid June rolls around the corner, I am actually not feeling anxious at all. I did that bad!

Although I meant to start studying for MCAT, I have been real busy at work. I worked through the long weekend and all. Fortunately, I will not be that busy after another week or so.

So if I do badly in my April MCAT, I am debating whether I should take the August one. Or should I take some more classes and take the April MCAT.

The reason I am inclined towards april 06 is that my undergrad GPA is around 3.0. I did very well in my pre-med courses in last couple of years. By taking extra courses, I can show that I can do well in advanced bio, chem courses as well.

If I decide to re-take it in August, I will have only 8 weeks for that. I feel like I should prepare really really well for my next try.

Well, lets hope I don't have to re-take it :)

Thank you for your time. You have been so much more than kind.
Shahab

shahab, taking it in april might not be such a bad idea, provided you find really worthwhile things to do during your year off (classes, major clinical experience, etc.) have you got some ideas about things like that? also, what do your EC's, etc look like right now? if you have some amazing experiences already, it'll be nice to add to them.

with a 3.0 and an mcat <30, your chances are not amazing (possible, but no amazing)...a backup plan might definitely be in order.

don't take the august mcat unless you're seeing excellent scores on your practice runs...you need some high scores (>34, etc.) to balance out the low gpa.

good news: the upward trend in your gpa is a good sign! med schools appreciate your improvement. if you keep that up during a year off and add great clinical/community experiences that make you stand out, as well as a great mcat, you're gonna be FINE!

good luck, have a great day :thumbup:

Hi wetlightning:

Thanks for your reply. I pretty much had the same train of thought. I am planning to get involved in some medical research - maybe just 2 hours per week or so and maybe shadow few more physicians in different specialties. I do have a family, and fulltime job. So, its hard for me to do much.

As for EC's, I have been working with one of my senior highschool alumni on establishing a dialysis center in Bangladesh. He is leading the project, but I came up with the proposal over 2 years ago. So, right now that guy and I are working closely to implement this non-profit dialysis center. We have already received funding and 40 free used hemodialysis machines.

Aside from that, I have been shadowing a med-ped (internal medicine and pediatrics) doctor for a while.

I did three research projects during my undergraduate years in Minnesota. I also presented two papers - at Argonne National Lab and another one in Michigan. It was quite a few years ago. Would medical schools still consider those as my research experience? I will get a rec. letter from my professor in Minnesota.

Truly appreciate your comments. Have a pleasant day.
shahab

wetlightning said:
shahab, taking it in april might not be such a bad idea, provided you find really worthwhile things to do during your year off (classes, major clinical experience, etc.) have you got some ideas about things like that? also, what do your EC's, etc look like right now

good luck, have a great day :thumbup:

Hey Gujrati Doc:

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I didn't know such thing (SMP) exists. I looked at couple of programs including drexel and East Virginia..sounded interesting. It will be such a dramatic change for my family - from an engineer's salary to live on loan. But I think I am gonna look into those programs. Just waiting till June 15th.

Thanks. Good night.
shahab

gujuDoc said:
If you have a gpa at 3.0, try to get in an SMP program too. Maybe that would be more worthwhile because it will put you in the same playing field as a first year med student since you will be taking classes with them.