Retake low grade classes or minor in psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy psychology and have been looking into minoring in it alongside my biology degree, I almost majored in it, but then I look back at my old grades and see there is a ton of opportunity for grade replacement. I know GPA wise it would be better to retake old classes for better grades, but would a minor in psychology have any benefits over retaking classes when it comes time to apply? I have a slightly above 3.0 GPA now and so many credits that a few new classes won't have a significant impact on it.
Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I really enjoy psychology and have been looking into minoring in it alongside my biology degree, I almost majored in it, but then I look back at my old grades and see there is a ton of opportunity for grade replacement. I know GPA wise it would be better to retake old classes for better grades, but would a minor in psychology have any benefits over retaking classes when it comes time to apply? I have a slightly above 3.0 GPA now and so many credits that a few new classes won't have a significant impact on it.
Thanks in advance! :)

How bad are your bad grades? I think multiple Cs (not a one-off) are when it's a good idea for people to start retaking.

Minors don't mean much one way or the other, so I would make the decision about whether or not to retake separately and then decide if you want to do the minor.

How bad are your bad grades? I think multiple Cs (not a one-off) are when it's a good idea for people to start retaking.

One F, a C-, 2 C's (one I am definitely retaking regardless), and a C+.

Now that I put all the grades in one place, retaking is definitely looking better.

Another question: does it matter if I retake courses at the CC I took them at or at the college I currently attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
One F, a C-, 2 C's (one I am definitely retaking regardless), and a C+.

Now that I put all the grades in one place, retaking is definitely looking better.

Another question: does it matter if I retake courses at the CC I took them at or at the college I currently attend?

Retaking those should help you quite a bit with your GPA for DO schools. If the F is a prereq you HAVE to retake it.

It'll look better to retake the classes at your school or a comparable four-year university.