Retake MCAT and apply this cycle or wait and face a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA = 3.70
BCPM GPA = 3.48
MCAT (first attempt) = 22P (PS 7, V 10, BS 5)

The MCAT can partially be blamed to my getting sick and passing out halfway through the PS section. (I had stomach issues and ended up getting my appendix taken out a little over a week later.) The lovely proctors were kind enough to pause the exam and let me finish.

Other Bad Stuff:
- 2 W's on my transcript
- Will be taking a 5th year starting next year due changing my major
- Was only part time for my second quarter as a freshman

Other Good Stuff:
- 6+ years of clinical experience working as a paid employee in a hospital directly with patients
- 50ish hrs of non-clinical volunteer work
- 20ish hrs of physician shadowing
- Strong upward trend with my grades. I got 2 C's my first quarter as a freshman that are tugging my GPA down.... =(

I really want to get into OSU if this effects anyone's advice. It's kind of my dream school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would definitely retake. Do something awesome during a gap year- something that you love and will bolster your application at the same time. Take some more time to work on MCAT, and then OSU may be in your reach. Seeing as their average MCAT is a 33, applying this cycle would be pretty much out of the question. Even for DO schools, getting in with a 22 would be a reach.

Best of luck with everything!

(Assuming that OSU = Ohio State because you posted in pre-MD)

If I were you, I would definitely retake. Do something awesome during a gap year- something that you love and will bolster your application at the same time. Take some more time to work on MCAT, and then OSU may be in your reach. Seeing as their average MCAT is a 33, applying this cycle would be pretty much out of the question. Even for DO schools, getting in with a 22 would be a reach.

Best of luck with everything!

(Assuming that OSU = Ohio State because you posted in pre-MD)

Okay, but do you think I should retake in August or September and still apply this cycle or maybe retake later and apply next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, but do you think I should retake in August or September and still apply this cycle or maybe retake later and apply next cycle?
are you confident that you can do significantly better given about a month and a half of studying? I know there was the sickness issue during your last mcat, but if that hadn't happened what do you anticipate your score would have been? if you're an ohio resident, I'd try to apply at least there after the retake in august/september, being instate the late app shouldn't hurt you TOO much. and maybe try a few other in state schools, but I wouldn't waste your money and apply to 20+ schools that late in the game

are you confident that you can do significantly better given about a month and a half of studying? I know there was the sickness issue during your last mcat, but if that hadn't happened what do you anticipate your score would have been? if you're an ohio resident, I'd try to apply at least there after the retake in august/september, being instate the late app shouldn't hurt you TOO much. and maybe try a few other in state schools, but I wouldn't waste your money and apply to 20+ schools that late in the game

I am an Ohio resident. I could of course submit my AMCAS app with the 22P on it now and then just update my score after a retake. However, if I were an adcom member I don't think I'd ever give an app an initial perusal with that low of a score attached to it.

My aamc practice test scores were going up steadily by about 2pts each time I took one. The max I reached the day before the exam was around a 31 (still not ideal, but not bad), if I remember correctly. My diagnostic was a 24. I'm sure I could have done better if I weren't sick. At least, I think so! None of my aamc practice exam scores were ever as low as a 5. I know that for sure.

If you do want to try for a July/August, just make sure you take a few practice tests before then to make sure you're scoring in a range that you'd be happy with on the real deal. The later AAMC tests are much more indicative of your score than the early ones (see what you make on #10 and #11). If you're not scoring in that range yet, it really isn't that bad to wait a cycle. Then you can KILL the MCAT and go where you want.

Other Bad Stuff:
- 2 W's on my transcript
- Will be taking a 5th year starting next year due changing my major
- Was only part time for my second quarter as a freshman

Is taking a 5th year really considered bad on an application? I'm an engineering major so to get all those classes done and the medical school prereqs I'm about to start my 5th year.

If I were you I would apply next year. I feel like you are rushing, and you were really counting on a good MCAT. With those expectations, and the dramatic news about your 22P, the best chance you have is to forget about the MCAT and continue with everything else in your life. Take it in May next year, good luck!

Is taking a 5th year really considered bad on an application? I'm an engineering major so to get all those classes done and the medical school prereqs I'm about to start my 5th year.

As long as your grades are fine it's not bad at all. Maybe from a societal standpoint, but I highly doubt the adcoms are going to mark it against you.

@OP: You should've voided your MCAT if you knew you were going to do poorly, but I guess it's too late for that. Study hard for the retake and hopefully you can bring up your MCAT to at least the late-20's.