MD & DO Retake MCAT? cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.0 MCAT 502

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmagine22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and having a hard time deciding if I should retake the MCAT. I submitted to 25 schools, with a broad range of selecivity.

Ivy undergrad, was a D1 athlete and come from a religiously diverse background. I completed a year of AmeriCorps service in a rural area, and want to work in rural family medicine.

Science gpa was low before completing my science pre-reqs and post-bacc work at a large state school. During that time I worked as a medical scribe.

A family member passed away four days before the MCAT, the last week before the test was difficult.

I'm considering quitting my research job at a large academic medical center to study for the last September test date from Aug1-Sept 19. Is this feasible for improvement? While studying for the first exam I was working 4 days a week, volunteering, leadership in 4 clubs.

Any advice would be helpful as I'm having a hard time answering the "What are your plans for the next year?" question on secondaries...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I''m a WA state resident, historic OR resident.

This is my school list:
Arizona Tucson
Baylor
Creighton
Colorado
Drexel
Emory
Geisel - Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Minnesota-Duluth
OHSU
New York Medical College
Penn
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
Rush
UW
WSU
Yale
Pitt
Rosalind Franklin
Case Western

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a 20% chance for a MD acceptance. Your 2 Washington state schools are realistically your only chances for interviews. If you are seriously interested in attending medical school in August 2019 you should apply to at least 10 DO schools. If not then you may need to retake the MCAT next year. A late September retake is unlikely to help you since the schools will not receive your score until the 2nd half of October at which time half the interview slots will have already been filled.

Reactions: 1 user